iPad The Best Chess

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VirtualAlex, Dec 26, 2008.

1. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I am looking for a chess App. I know Deep Green seems to be the "best one" but I am not sure what that means. All I want in a chess app is to play a game sometimes when I am bored. I don't care if it supports multiple people, I don't even care if it has online support. I just want to play the machine sometimes. So i am pretty much looking for the best interface and prettiest graphics.

Anyone have any recommendations?

2. illucius

illucius Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Caissa Chess is the best one, IMO.

3. If you looking for AI so far strongest one I've found is Cyber Chess online. Well at least among the cheap ones. It's $1 or $2.

4. VirtualAlex

Dec 6, 2008
    I am no grandmaster. I am not concerned with "challenge" any-old computerized chess program will give me a run for my money. I am really just in it for visual appeal and ease of use.

5. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Cyber chess is the best by far, even if you don't care about playing human opponents (which is much more enjoyable and works over 3g).

6. nanokiwi

nanokiwi Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    teacher
    New Zealand
  7. VirtualAlex

Dec 6, 2008
    I just looked at every chess app, and read every review for all of them, and it looks like none of them are very good based on that.

Deep Green has no sound, and no check or checkmate alerts.

Samurai just looks stupid with this absurd backgrounds. Samurai's never played chess anyway. They probably played Xiangxi or whatever chinese chess is called.

Caissa just doesn't look nice enough for me.

The best one is tChess pro it looks like. But it's SO expensive...

8. VirtualAlex

Dec 6, 2008
    I think it might be time for me to give chess with friends another try. It was just so slow paced for me. It would be nice if they could some how integrate turn-for-turn play, or "live play" along with the "send-a-turn" play. So if someone is willing to play it all out, we could.

9. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    In [app]Chess with Friends[/app], live play is not a limitation with the software. You can do this. The problem is finding someone to do it with. There is no game lobby, or anything like that, that would allow you to actually communicate with someone to set up a live game.

But if you are trying to play against someone that you already know, you can certainly play it out in real time. And the nice thing about doing this in Chess with Friends is that you can leave the game in the middle, and easily pick up where you left off.

10. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    ppl play chess?

11. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    t Chess Lite is very nice and it's only $0.99.

12. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    I've played them all.

CHESS WITH FRIENDS. RULES.

In Jan/09 you will see a number of new addition features. But for now, it still rules.

Start up a number of games. Most ppl play on a regular basis.

It's fun to play several games at a time.

[​IMG]

:D

13. AchillesReborn

Nov 29, 2008
    Chess with friends? If you want games that last days, are only against other iPhone users, and where your opponent doesn't bother playing when they go behind, with no rating system etc. then this is the game for you.

14. RetroGuy

RetroGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Any more opinions on best chess?

Like the OP, I'm not a grandmaster so I don't need the game to have the "best" AI, so long as it's middle of the range that's fine. I don't care about online play. A nice interface and good presentation is what I'm most interested in.

Chess Classics by GameLoft may fit the bill.

Any other suggestions please?

15. RetroGuy

RetroGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    P.S. And Chess Classics is only $1.99... but I'd prefer to only buy one chess game which is why I'm asking, rather than buy that and then another.

16. Ok I've played Cyber Chess strongest Ai against t chess lite strongest and it absolutely destroyed t chess lite.

So today decide to buy the $2 Gameloft Chess Classics...ok so it comes bundled with Backgammon Classics too...not too shabby.

Well it proclaims "Tested comparatively with other iPhone chess games, Chess Classics has the more powerful and by far strongest engine on the iPhone!"

Well I played strongest AI of each against one another and Cyber Chess $1 completely wiped the seat against Chess Classics. So I love gameloft but perhaps they should reword their proclomation. See screenshots of how pathetically Chess Classics lost in their Master AI.

Chess Classics fails in Quiz mode too...the Chess Quest $5 1,200 problems try demo 120 problems destroys it too in the quiz department that is.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. voldemort

voldemort Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    I think Deep Green is the best !

18. AchillesReborn

Nov 29, 2008
    I've completed just over 170 games on cyber chess, all of them online. It is by far my most used game app. The 3G online games work really well. In fact, I've never even tried a game against the A.I, as I have very little interest in playing computers, regardless of how strong/weak they are.
    I would like to see a few more 'skins' for cyber chess; I'd especially like some different coloured 2d skins.

As for deep green, even if it did incorporate 3G multiplayer, I wouldn't be interested until they managed to get the basics right. Looks nice, but I'd rather have a game that works well. In fact, I'd rather a game that looks nice and works well, with 3G multiplayer included. Maybe cyber chess and deep green can have a baby.

19. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Of course. ^ ^

Chess is great for the brain and helps one to think more clearly. Even elementary school kids are being taught to play chess, because it requires them to think before they make a move, which can then transferred to their real life experiences.

Quite a useful game, I find it a tad boring these days though. I try to get back into it every now and then, but it never sticks for more than a week.

20. AchillesReborn

Nov 29, 2008
    #20 AchillesReborn, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
    Playing chess can become dull, especially if people play set openings, ultra defensively, etc. I became disillusioned with chess for a few years, but then I found myself enjoying it a lot more, because I stopped caring about the result so much, and started playing moves that interested me, taking risks and playing very aggressively. And I found that I'm actually a stronger player this way. I used to find it frustrating that players who spent a lot of time studying the game and memorizing openings would do well against me, even if they were weaker players. There knowledge of openings would put them in a superior position that would be difficult to claw back from. But throw something new at them and they often fold faster than superman on laundry day.

Bit off topic, sorry.