Universal The Battle of Polytopia (by Midjiwan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Feb 25, 2016.

1. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    It really would be a shame not to review this! And yes, it's technically "free to play," but we all know that actually means "exploitative and underhanded," which this game is... kind of the opposite of.

2. deathprog23

deathprog23 Member

Dec 26, 2014
    This game has given me a lot of fun so far, great stuff!

Recently I have a bug where the next turn button does not work though, so I can't play. Hopefully a known issue after the latest release - is anyone else having this problem?

3. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    Just had a very funny game where75% of the map was made of water :D

4. KinakGames

KinakGames Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Agreed that the IAP in this game is very reasonable and low-pressure. I wanted to give them money because the game is awesome.

The IAP tribes are definitely aren't crazy overpowered, which helps. If anyone's wondering what the those tribes play like, I've posted some videos of the Kickoo, Hoodrick, and Luxidoor.

Cheers!
    Kinak

5. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Game Taster
    Wisconsin
    Wow... Phenomenal game. Took a couple plays to get it but I am really enjoying it.

6. Atomos

Atomos Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I really don't tend to post. But this game compels me to speak up. I haven't been this into a mobile 4x in ages, and the monetization method is so generous I feel like this is truly a gift of a game (for all intents and purpose, this is closer to free than f2p). But I am still left wanting more. I would absolutely pay for an expansion that would give more rounds (or unlimited), bigger maps, more units, and more missions. There is an incredibly strong foundation here, and can't wait for update.

7. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    If bigger maps, or different goals (other than a turn limit), and such were introduced as iaps I would buy them twice. Making it an iap solves the problem of people who don't want to "spoil" the essence of the game. It makes it your own choice. There's no downside.

8. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    This game is great! I just found it a few days ago, I don't know how I missed it when it was first released. Different game modes with bigger maps and longer turn limits might be fun but it does work very well as it is, it's really well suited for a mobile game.

9. philadendron

philadendron Active Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Las Vegas
    LOVE this game. I don't necessarily mind the 30 turn limit, but sometimes the option for a longer game would be nice.

Also: ACHIEVEMENTS. Add achievements and the option for longer games, and this game is 5/5 stars.

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I really think one of the reasons the game really needs to keep stuff limited to 30 turns is, while quite fun, if it stretched any longer, once the player has discovered all techs and rules the world, there isn't much more to it.

11. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I just found this game and it looks quite good. I'm excited to give it a whirl.

12. merrickal

merrickal Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2012
    This was what I was looking for, an opinion on whether the iap tribes 1) was op and 2) if they change up the playstyle.

Good to hear about the luxidoor, how are the other two like?

13. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    They are releasing new patch with unlimited turn mode on 5/5. (Just wait 3 days people)

Proof: https://www.instagram.com/p/BERfDUPn1Tt/

14. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    None of the tribes are OP, and there's certainly no divide between the free and IAP tribes, power-wise. The premium tribes aren't really "premium," if you know what I mean.

The Kickoo start with a regular tech, just like the other tribes; that tech is fishing, as the game says. The reason I mention that is because prior to the recent update, they started with sailing, a level-2 tech, even though the game said it was fishing.

The Hoodrick are the only tribe to start with a level-2 tech, Archery. However, they do not start with any technology that allows them to harvest resources (similar to the Xinxi, Oumaji, and Luxidoor), so that makes up for any advantage they get from Archery. But yeah, they "feel" pretty different.

15. merrickal

merrickal Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks korossyl. I bought the luxidoors and like the different start up style offered. Will try the others too.

16. ZAOalive_777

ZAOalive_777 Member

Jan 16, 2016
    The new update with the domination mode is out a day early.

17. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    #157 Gluskap, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Yes, update is out with Domination (until there is only one tribe left, unlimited turns) and other improvements. Now I'm gonna buy all tribes. My rant is coming tomorrow for who thinks that unlimites turn mode will not be enjoyable or doesn't match with design.

18. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Thank you thank you thank you!

19. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    They're my sentiments also, it was a great choice to add this to the game. Now everyone has the best of both worlds.

20. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    This is a great little find - been playing it for a few days now. Fast paced, easy to manage but with enough depth to feel like you're progressing and building your empire. Perfect for those 'one handed', casual play type moments - and also for longer sessions.

Hope they continue with the IAP as they are (additional tribe unlocks) rather than monetising through gems/ads - could easily see this one slipping in to a more typical 'f2p' style system if the Devs don't generate enough from the current method of sale.