Universal The Battle of Polytopia (by Midjiwan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Feb 25, 2016.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I pick riders as well. Just sometimes can be screwed up what starting resources you can have and have to multi-skill is maybe the disadvantage, but maybe same with others. The tribe which you have to pay IAP for, bafflingly says you start with fishing but actually start with sailing and have to learn fishing.

2. sortris

sortris Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    Low poly mobile Civilization-like game? Damn! Must play it!

3. darlingbastard

darlingbastard New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    This is the game I have always wanted. So refined and well done. Just amazing. I just want more. Deeper tech tree, larger maps and different game modes like playing till all enemies are defeated. I may actually like this more than Civ due to how streamlined eveything is.

4. KinakGames

KinakGames Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Agreed. Civ has it's charm, but I really appreciate how Super Tribes has exactly what it needs and nothing more.

Cheers!
    Kinak

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
  6. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Woo!! Update is out already in the US store, sweet! :)

7. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    The new tribes are pretty great; the Luxidoor feel especially unique: no starting tech, but a larger starting city.

If you're previously bought the Kickoo, they'll be marked as unpurchased, but agreeing to buy them again I was allowed to restore my purchase instead.

I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth... but I'm still hoping out for a civ that knows road-building!

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Is the game always treating your most recent score your top score even if not truly the top score you've gotten?

9. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    I'm just here to say that This deserves 5 stars.

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I do love how they've boiled down that Civilization like gameplay into such a streamlined and concentrated form. Unlike maybe some others, I apppreciate how you only get 30 turns as it forces you to play efficiently as possible with your greatest opponentbthen not being the other AI controlled opponents, but time itself. :D

11. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    Awesome game - bought all unlocks as a love letter to the devs.
    As other have said i'd love an option to continue playing after the 30 turns score has been calculated just for the joy of obliterating my ennemies.
    As Conan says, what is good in life is to crush your ennemies, have them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women.

:)

12. Hard_Squirrel

Hard_Squirrel Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I am really enjoying this game. Like others have mentioned though, I would like for it to be a bit deeper in terms of game length (not restricted to 30 turns).

I get that the target market here is people who want quick and dirty play throughs, but why not retain the current mode and add an option for unlimited turns? This would retain the client base of those who want more depth as well as those that enjoy short play throughs via the current 30 turn limit.

I would also love to see an option for bigger maps and more than 3 enemy tribes within a game.

More than happy to pay an IAP of £5 or so for the above 2 requests.

13. KinakGames

KinakGames Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    It's interesting. I'd be really tempted, as a developer, to never include an endless mode.

The game obviously isn't designed to support it and there's a chance it would be terrible. And, if they include it, they're responsible for making it fun. I, personally, wouldn't want to try making an endless mode fun under the restrictions of their design.

The fact that people want it seems like an argument for it's inclusion, but it really just raises the stakes. An unwanted option would just get ignored, but a wanted option that turns out to be unfun is far worse. Plenty of people would keep clicking that button even if the rest of the turns suck, because that's how people work.

Anyway, everyone has their own opinions, but it comes down to this: if Midjiwan doesn't think they can make endless mode fun, they shouldn't present it as an option.

Cheers!
    Kinak

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It's funny... It happens here quite a bit. A new game comes up, and loads of people are reminded of another game they enjoyed from their past, then push developers to turn the game they thought up and created into something like a clone of the game from the player's past.

It usually works out one of two ways; the developer says 'no, I don't want my game to be that' and there's usually some pushback, people saying the developer doesn't care about gamers or making money or some other shallow reason they want to spit out to try and show the developer they're 'making the wrong decision'. Or they implement it... The games mechanics change and it turns into some weird off-putting mixture of their original game and some sort of cheesy attempt to cash in on another game's core gameplay.

Yes, there are RARE times when players pushing the developer to turn their game into something it wasn't intended to be turns out alright. I personally can't think of any... but I know that doesn't mean they're not out there.

I just don't think this is one of those cases...

15. exactspace

exactspace New Member

Apr 3, 2016
    I'm having a problem with the End Turn button. I press it and nothing happens. I tried quitting out of the game and going back in and still have the same problem.

16. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Just throwing in another happy review for this one. Love it. Love the turn limit. Want a better way to track and compare local scores.
    I was actually dreaming about this game last night. It's in my HEAD!

17. Midjiwan

Midjiwan New Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Super tribes creator

Hi Everyone and thanks for all the great feedback and love!
    I have been reading this thread a while but haven't had the time to set up an account until now.

Does anyone know how to get the editorial team here at TA to write an actual review of the game? I think it is getting a fair deal of attention in this thread and I have tried to contact them about it but didn't even get a reply..
    :confused:

18. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I don't think there's a way to get them to, other than traffic on the thread and the game tickling someone's fancy. I would say that your participation in this thread could help, because TA loves to foster relationships between players and developers.

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Welcome to the forum! And thank you for this great game! =oD

As for Touch Arcade...
    TA isn't opposed to it, but they rarely review free2play games. Other than emailing the [email protected] address and hoping for the best, there's not too much you can do. I'd say the game has enough of a following here that there's a good chance they'd post about any future content updates if you sent them press releases before it hit the AppStore instead of bundling it together in their weekly updates posts. But even after all these years here, I don't have the foggiest idea how they choose what games do and don't get their own articles.
    Best of luck to ya!