Universal The Battle of Polytopia (by Midjiwan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Feb 25, 2016.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    So I did a mission with 3 other tribes and I defeated all 3 hoping something would happen and all it says is on the final tribe wiped out 'the other tribes are enraged', ffs. :D

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    You get an item you can place for no resources (doesn't cost stars) and additional points.

3. KinakGames

KinakGames Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Really loving this game and hope to see more of it, more like it, or even just more from the developer.

My only real gripe is the tutorial. If anyone else is struggling with that, I tried to summarize what I figured out in a video.

Cheers!
    Kinak

4. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    Just emailed the dev (Felix) about joining the forum. Here is his response:

Consider regards sent. :D

5. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    People seem to want two things:

Unlimited turns and More IAP

So the solution is simple! Let players buy more turns for a small IAP ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

6. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I dunno. Towards the endgame (especially on higher difficulties), your cities will stop growing, because there's nothing left to hunt/harvest/mine/fish, and its likely you'll have almost fully explored the map. Perhaps if resources respawned (or there was tech to plant things) it might be worthwhile.

Note also, if you play the higher difficulties, you get more turns than 15.

7. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    You can build temples, ports, forges, and other building for more resources, but you are limited on space.

8. KinakGames

KinakGames Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    I'd be pretty excited about an IAP for a race with a different set of available techs. Also, on a non-IAP side of things, I'd love to see a daily board that takes a page from Nuclear Throne or Binding of Isaac, with an assigned race and map that everyone can compete to see who gets the best score.

Yeah, I would actually consider more turns to be a downgrade in the experience.

I'm often like "awwww, if I only had a few more turns!" But I don't actually want more turns. I just want to be better at the game so I can accomplish my goals in time. More turns is the exact opposite of what I want.

Cheers!
    Kinak

9. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015

I would say add turn options in the current mode with the difficulty selection & add an unlimited made. Other modes or tribes can be IAP but please don't turn this into F2P garbage. This game is being praised across the board... Keep it that way.

10. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015

Great point about turns!!!! Every game doesn't have to be everything to everybody. This game is fantastic just like it is. I'm not opposed to new modes for more options but keep the original.

11. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I think the prior suggestion about scoring ending at 30 turns, but with the option to play your game until the bitter end for no points would be a great solution. I also really like the turn limit for forcing strategy and capping games, but on the few games where I have been totally dominating, I'd love to be able to conquer everything with a couple extra turns for personal satisfaction. Hopefully something like that wouldn't be too hard to implement.

I wouldn't mind another mode with a larger board, more turns, and the ability to add more tribes. It might be fun to have a 5 tribe 50 turn game (since 3 tribes and 30 turns is the max right now).

But, I guess before all that, I should just try to win on normal instead of always playing on easy! :p

12. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    It seems you took my suggestion seriously ._.

While we're at it, the game should also let players buy Giants if they're losing. And it takes some "city energy'" to capture a city. But if you run out, just get an IAP to refill the energy!

13. Nikkii

Nikkii Member

Sep 21, 2011
    This game is amazing! Can't seem to put it down. I would also like an endless mode.

It crashes from time to time on my iPhone 4S, making me lose a big chunk of my progress, at least 5 turns. Maybe it's possible to soft-save each turn, as a crash-protection?

14. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    yeah same problem as ipad mini sometimes ^

15. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Wow, I just now realized that you can see the other tribes' scores, as well as who you're at peace or war with, by tapping on your civ's head in the top left corner. Neat!

16. toochunky

toochunky Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Really enjoy this game. But am I missing something, or does the game not keep track of any of your high scores? This seems so weird for a game that is built entirely around high score, rather than a win condition. I mean, gamecenter keeps track of your highest score, but it seems so simple to have a scoreboard of your highest scores, and at which difficulty/tribe. Am I just not looking in the right place or something?

17. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    No, it really doesn't. I assume it's an oversight, but it's the number one thing I'd like changed. Maybe the only thing?

18. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    Here's a question: do advanced players see any "tiers" to the currently available civs? As in, are some better than others, or are they really only different in flavor?

Do people tend to play with the same civ each time, or mix it up?

19. toochunky

toochunky Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    I think on easy mode, or just aiming for the highest possible score, starting with riders is probably the best. You can grab all the huts, and the AI is not aggressive enough to punish you for overreaching. The best case scenario game probably has you finding a friendly giant from a ruin and taking over all the cities before the other tribes have progressed in the tech tree.

Otherwise, I think climbing is the best, because you are spending your early resources on units anyway, and have a good chance of getting organization/hunting from another tribe. Also, riders can have their movement restricted really easily by mountains, or a narrow continent, eliminating most of their advantage. Since you can't defend with riders, and the map is so small, I'd rather just have warriors that can immediately go on the mountain and get the 2x sight range.

I could be wrong, and basing this too much on the limited game scenarios I've seen. But it seems like all the maps have a ton of mountains, so there seem to be many scenarios where you would want to wait on fish/fruit/game/mining, and pick them selectively based on the map and what you get from the neighboring tribe(s), but almost no scenarios where you would want to delay being able to cross mountains.

20. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    useful to know, thanks.