Universal The Battle of Polytopia (by Midjiwan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Feb 25, 2016.

1. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Super Tribes.

2. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I checked the wiki: Supertribes! (I sort of like this name better)

3. mariotroise

mariotroise New Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Multiplayer code

Anyone up to a multiplayer game?

Add qNtyNZRaZsGlxWZd

Cheers!

Mario

4. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    I’m

I4X5AOKfk9EfI4kP

Is it async? That is the question.

Adding you now mario.

5. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
  6. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I recently found out about this game. Can you recommend an interesting and easy tribe? :p
    I haven't tried this yet.
    If I play the game and I like it, I'll buy more tribes to support the developer. :)

7. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Tribes don't matter as much as you would think. You could choose one that does well at fishing and start out in a landlocked area. Or have the mountain climbing perk, but be in the plains. I don't think any particular tribe is OP....I ended up picking one because I like the art style :)

8. pcweirdness

pcweirdness New Member

May 10, 2017
    Look for some multiplayer challenges:)

7Q1KHLjOfVXrA6sX

9. faceleg

faceleg Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Auckland, NZ
  10. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I saw that Bardur was appropriate for beginners.
    But like you said, tribe isn't going to be important.
    Thank you for your advice. :)

11. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
  12. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    When I started, I liked Xin-xi because the climbing tech allows you to climb mountains to get a wider view which aids exploration and finding new villages. Imperius and Bardur are also excellent for getting started because you can start harvesting resources (hunting and fruit, respectively) right away.

13. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
  14. phred

phred Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Online is locked?

I was able to start up a multiplayer game, but then it told me that the other player left (and a bot replaced him). My friend said he didn't retire from the game.

I tried to start up another multiplayer game with him, but now I'm getting this message "Online is locked"

I've already purchased 3 tribes. Is there something I need to do?

15. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    I’m also getting a similar problem.
    I started 4 new online games, then suddenly it says online is blocked. I try to refresh multiplayer game list and it says to check internet connection.
    Any ideas please? :(

16. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    You think uninstalling and re installing it will fix it?

17. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    Hadn’t noticed until now due to trying the multiplayer but has the single player been made harder?
    The AI seems to be more aggressive.

18. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    I didn't think of it until now, but I'd have to agree: in the several games I've played on "Hard," only once have I managed to form an alliance, and that only lasted a few turns. I used to have them all the time, where I'd feel bad turning on my friends every game. Meanwhile, opponents seem to get enraged almost immediately, even when I haven't even engaged them. NOT a fan...

19. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    It seems to be the case on all difficulties, even easy. Also not a fan.

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm really glad to see Battle for Polytopia grow, especially with a landmark feature like multiplayer!

But this particular implementation of async mechanics is very barebones and clumsy. Perhaps it's just a an early iteration, and Midjiwan will polish the multiplayer mechanics more (not just add new content, which is also of course highly welcome!). But in case not, two quality of life improvements that would just offer SO much quality would be:

Have push notifications bring us into the game in question, not just to the multiplayer menu. Fairly self-explanatory, I hope, no downside, all up :)

Don't forcefully boot us out to the multiplayer menu after we submit our turn. I've never, to this day, understood why devs do this, or at least leave us with an option to remain in game. You see, if you send us to the multiplayer menu after we submit our turn, we can only ever play multiplayer in a chopped-up, asynchronous fashion. And while this is a non-issue for all the times when we only have time for a quick turn, it completely stop us from enjoying multiplayer as a real-time affair when we DO have the time to remain in game and take several turns in succession. Allowing the player to remain in the match after they submit their turn is how Carcassonne, UniWar, Playdek titles, Starbase Orion and a host of other polished async games do it, and there is absolutely no reason not to. The argument that we return to the multiplayer menu to take turns in other on-going matches is moot, since that is better resolved with an in-match interface that notifies us to our turns in other matches (see how Carcassonne and UniWar does this). (I've had this discussion with 5 different developers during beta tests, so apparently it is a common design decision - even if I've never heard a reason for it, but luckily they've always reversed their course somewhere along the way.)

I think I must have told over 20 developers this by now, but ALWAYS look to Carcassonne for iOS and Playdek titles för examples of smooth, smart, convenient implementations of asynchronous multiplayer.