Universal The Battle of Polytopia (by Midjiwan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Feb 25, 2016.

1. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Nit pick: the Close button on the tech tree is on the top left. Almost every other button can be hit by my right thumb. Except that one.

2. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Love seeing new updates. I can't wait to fire it up tonight.

3. Xyth

Xyth Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Latest update is broken on my iPhone 5 (iOS 9.3.2). Launching the game the screen flashes pink, then yellow, and then stays blue. Game Center connects but nothing else happens. Please fix, I love this game.

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I just found it ... a real gem! It works great on all my devices, I love it! :)

5. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Still hating that close button. Have to shift my whole grip just to hit it.

Still love this game.

6. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #186 tjb, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    Make more tribes, so I can give you more money!

Or maybe a game settings menu, like to tweak the procs: more water, bigger land masses, less trees, more places to explore, custom tile/map size, etc.

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Not that I have any connection to the dev nor do I know if he's asking, but can you guys think of any new tribe specialties he hasn't explored in the game that would still be asymetrically balanced with the rest of the tribes?

8. Anova

Anova Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 14, 2012
    best settings for high score

What settings do people pick to get to their high score? Currently I do best on normal with 2 competitors, wondering if people can get higher on hard or crazy?

9. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I've honestly been working my way up from one opponent easy mode to three opponents normal mode now. It looks like such a basic game, but I'm not ashamed to say that it can actually be challenging. If it was easy it wouldn't have stayed on my device for more than a week. But it isn't easy! Hoping to make my way to crazy some day.

As far as new tribes, I'm not sure. But you could go farther than simply aren't a starting tech. You could make a tribe start with ocean navigation and combing, as an explorer people, but prohibit them from ever building catapults or defenders precisely because they don't sit around at home idle. Stuff. Would be neat.

10. Anova

Anova Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 14, 2012
    That would be a cool feature but very hard to balance to make it fair for the leaderboard. Maybe if it was available in domination only or something.

Feature request if devs are still around. It'd be great if there were separate leaderboards for each difficulty. It seems like the best scores come from easier difficulties even with the bonus you get from going up. I'd prefer to play on hard and compare my score to others doing the same.

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #191 LordGek, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Let me second that, I'm a big proponent of separate leaderboards per difficulty in most score tracking games. Often enough, even if offering a big score multiplier at higher difficulties, somebody gaming the system will find a way to milk points out of the lowest level based on some clever little loophole of the scoring formula without fear of the lower level AI being able to offer any meaningful resistance.

12. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    More, please! This game has stayed on my phone longer than the majority have. Please don't abandon it and move on to the next big thing!

13. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Update! New tribe! New tech! New unit! Thank you!

14. PucKviruS

PucKviruS Active Member

Oct 31, 2012
    It says there's an option to play against 8 opponents but I haven't been able to find it yet

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Now it's just that annoying time after the update hits but before the new tribe shows up as purchaseable. :(

16. tjb

tjb Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    It's available for purchase.

I love this game more and more! Super easy to pick up and put down, but also that One-More-Turn feel. Love the flavor and the different tribes. Just absolutely love that the developer continues to improve the game!

17. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Grabbed this last night after seeing this thread. I'm not usually a big fan of this genre but I find this one so easy to learn and intuitive that I ended up playing a full game and wanting more.

It seems free - what's the catch? I see those IAPs for different tribes but what exactly does that do in terms of advantages?

18. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    No catch, and absolutely nothing in terms of advantages. This is the best F2P I think I've ever had. Each additional tribe, like the starting ones, just mean a different part of the tech tree is what you start with. In fact, some of the IAP tribes make for harder games because they have a second tier skill, but no basic skill at the outset.

19. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I'd love to support the dev but I think that the IAPs are disabled if you are offline. That's an assumption as I haven't purchased any to test it out but just the way the screen looked hinted at this possibility.

20. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    You can't buy them when offline (as it can't connect to the App Store), but you can use them when offline.