Universal The Barbarian (by S.F. Bay Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 8, 2015.

1. sfbaystudios

sfbaystudios Well-Known Member

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    And as an original buyer, I thank you tremendously!

Performance is great on the latest stuff -- the iPhone 6 will be fine. iPad Mini 2 has 1gb of ram? As long as it has 1 GB of ram it should be fine.

I play it on my "low end" device for testing, an iPad Air 1 (I think that's what this is), and frame rate can suffer if I have shadows on or 100% resolution. So generally I play it with blob shadows (or "torch/sun only", which is just one light for shadows) and at 50% resolution. Comparing the resolution, you can tell theres a difference, but I find that I quickly forget it as I play.

I did get a new iPad Pro (the smaller one), and it screams of course on that device, but no different than the iPhone 6s.

There's still some issues with random crashing -- I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it, but my best guess is just the RAM usage.

2. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I would really appreciate a gameplay video after all these changes to make up my mind with the sale going on :) thanks guys!

3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Grabbed this. Haven't had much time to play but I like it so far. I did find that it runs much smoother with full resolution and shadows on my iPhone 6 over my iPad Mini 2 (which even gave me frame rate warnings at 50% resolution and blob shadows).

Probably the first game ever that didn't run like a champ on my Mini 2. It's definitely playable on it....just much smoother and better looking on my iPhone 6.

Looking forward to diving into it more.

4. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    I've left a similar question on the 'Sale' thread - can anyone confirm the OS requirements - someone had reported that it requires latest OS but app store states iOS 6 or higher. I'm running 9.0.2

If the Dev is interested - the price drop has definitely piqued my interest and assuming it runs on my current OS then I shall be purchasing forthwith.

5. Woolsweater

Woolsweater Member

Apr 22, 2016
    #165 Woolsweater, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    I was on the fence about this when it first came out, but decided to purchase it on sale to support the developer and see how the game actually played. Overall I find it somewhat entertaining, and I like that it doesn't hold your hand too much about where to go or what to do. I've only finished the first quest, which amounted to killing some goblins outside the town, which I had almost finished inadvertently before even finding the mayor to start the quest. I'm currently in the sewers killing some more goblins with a newfound club that I found in a chest with the first goblin chieftain. The story isn't really pulling me in yet, but perhaps after I get a bit farther in the game some through line will emerge.

The game is a bit buggy and not without stutters, but it's definitely playable and at times can be enjoyable. I appreciate that the developer has continued to work on updates for the game after its release to improve it and fix things. The game didn't have a perfect frame rate with full resolution and all shadows on my iPad Air 2, but it was not choppy (probably just under 30 FPS if I had to guess, so not bad but noticeable). On the first time loading the game I encountered a bug where the game froze after I walked into town and hit the <!> button to talk to a woman that approached me. Exiting the app and starting again from that save fixed it, and I haven't encountered the bug again. The minimap sometimes get splotches of black that return to the proper terrain texture when I approach them; not unbearable, but it is distracting. In my opinion the interactions with NPCs and mobs feels a bit loose. People in town will dodge out of your way if you come charging at them, but the reactions are kind of frequent and occurring even as you just run by them.

I'm interested to see how it progesses once I finish the second goblin quest and perhaps start on some side quests that I picked up while exploring town. If you're a fan of RPGs and don't mind this one being a labor of love that's a little rough around the edges then I'd recommend The Barbarian.

EDIT: As for the people wondering about whether or not it will be compatible with their version of iOS, keep in mind that while the game's store description states that it requires the latest, that description may not have been updated by the developer since late in 2015 or even at the game's release. So it's possible that the "latest" at that time is older now. If you buy it and it doesn't work at all on your device's iOS you can submit a report to Apple and get a refund once you receive your iTunes Store receipt.

6. Pheebers

Pheebers Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    I'm a bit frustrated as I appear to be stuck somewhere. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

7. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Does this game support syncing saves between an iPad and iPhone?

8. Pheebers

Apr 27, 2013
    #168 Pheebers, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    Not that I've ever found. I like the game, but have some questions and I wish there was a more active community.

9. Pheebers

Apr 27, 2013
    Here's a question -- anyone know if you can become a weapon master by grinding rather than by spending skill points? I've been a sword expert forever, it seems, but I don't want to spend 5 points (and 2000 gold) to upgrade if it's just about to happen naturally. I've gotten to expert just by using the sword....

10. sindyan

sindyan Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Any word on the next patch or update? I'm. It expecting any new content but just bug fixes, etc.

11. Pheebers

Apr 27, 2013
    No idea.

I ended up having to start over, but I was eventually able to finish the game. It crashed quite a bit on my iPad Air, but I was able to reload after crashes, as it autosaves every 60 seconds. I got a lot of frame rate error messages even with things adjusted to minimums. I pretty much ignored the messages.

There is a trick to jump to the entrance of a level, and it came in handy when I just didn't feel like slogging back after I'd cleared out an area. It's kind of spoiler-y, but the dev posted it on his forum as a fix when people got frozen. Things would have felt very tedious at times otherwise. I don't know how to hide spoilers here, but I'll say you can find it very easily if you're looking.

If anyone has any questions about the game I'd be happy to try to help.

12. sindyan

sindyan Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012

How is the audio coming along ? I can't wait for the new patch!!

13. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    Yes...

On the menu stats screen, tap the lighter color box (with the damage value) 10 times (you'll likely see it dim a bit when you tap), and you'll warp to the "warp spot" (usually the entry) to the map. Same as the "Warp" spell. Then, let me know where you fell off so I can fix it :D

14. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    Unfortunately, no. I tried to make it happen, but turns out I really messed up when I originally built the save system, and it'd require a full re-write to make that possible.

15. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    You'll have to spend the points and cash :) You'll get up to level 13 (I think 13) on each weapon the more you use it -- at first you'll get new attacks as you hold down the attack button, and later more damage.

However,r that's different than being an Expert/Master/Grand-Master.

16. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    Soon! Very soon! Just making a video.

17. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    Soon! Very soon! Just making a video.

Sorry everyone, for some reason I stopped getting email notifications on this thread, and thought it had returned to its silent state!

So right now I'm grabbing clips as I play through for a new 30 second video for the app store. The new characters are done, and it doesn't look like I've introduced any new bugs. (And I even fixed a couple, what what!) The music and most of the audio has been replaced by FirstCom/Universal, so you may notice some nicer audio compared to before. (Some of the audio over the past 6-8 months updates were by them).

I will continue to update the monsters as I get new versions. The next update won't have the latest, which is a new flying eye model, but the one after that will. The new flying eye will have both the laser attack it currently has as well as a couple new melee attacks that are fun to watch. Instead of wings and a spiky tail it'll have tentacles and be a big exposed eyeball. More like Kid Icarus from the NES.

And for anyone waiting: There will be a FREE TO TRY version. This new version will let you play the first 2-3 hours (depending on your speed) of the game. The entire sewer quest & hill quest, but to leave the town you'll have to pay the full price. Hopefully this will let anyone on the fence try it out and see what it's all about.

I still haven't found another iOS game similar to it. Many RPGs are out there, but they all seem to have mobile-like features, like tap to move, or a "home" screen that you keep returning back to (usually to buy new in app purchases). If anyone knows of one, let me know so I can play it!

It doesn't require the latest OS version. I really don't know which version it does require. I would say, though, that on the iPhone 6 and similar spec devices, it's GREAT. The videos I'm making (very very few stutters) are with full shadows (so the dungeons have shadows fro the torch light spell, all the spells that have lights and the torhces/light sources in the dungeon) at 80% resolution.

Usually more enemies will slow that down, most particularly in the Hidden Crypt, since there's often something like 40+ skeletons attacking you at once. But the latest iPad and iPhones from almost a year ago are amazing, and no doubt whatever comes out in September-December will be even better. I'm hoping they'll run it at 100% resolution with full shadows on.

My next step for this is to get it out on iOS/Mac with the "Free" version on iOS. It's already passed through green light on steam, so once that's done, I'll start figuring out what I need to do to get it onto steam for Mac/PC. After that I should have enough info about how the Free/Paid version went on iOS, and I"ll do an android version. One of the two, based on the results from the "Free" iOS version. The current version will be updated whenever the free one is, so anyone who already bought it (THANK YOU!) won't be losing out.

I've been producing (with a modeler and two animators and now a sound guy too) new models, which I'm selling to other developers at the Unity Asset Store and CGTrader.com. You can see those, if you're curious, at www.InfinityPBR.com -- they don't actually make money yet, I've spent more than I've made, which is disappointing, and part of the reason why I don't have all the enemies updated yet, since I've been unable to ramp up production. As ones that can replace the ones in this game are finished, I'll be updating The Barbarian. (And any bug fixes that I can find/fix)

My next game will be a 1st Person Party Based RPG similar in feel to the Might & Magic VI-VIII games from the late 90s. It'll be a desktop-first production, but I'll be building it to also work on mobile. I figure by the time I finish it, mobile devices will be remarkably faster than the current ones. It should have a much better story, and will likely be the type of game that takes 50+ hours to complete, maybe more, based on the large number of quests and dungeons/locations. It'll have a lot of side quests, many of which are class specific and change based on decisions you've made and the makeup of your party. I'll post more when I have a website up for it, as I hope to have an early access and, if there is enough interest, a kickstarter or indiegogo.

Thanks for asking questions and answering them and what not!! I'll see about getting email notifications back.

18. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Your new trailer looks awesome! :D

I can't freakin WAIT for your first person RPG either! I grew up on those types of games, so they hold a special place in my heart. :) Do you have any idea on when you'd be finished?

Thanks!

19. dunhila

dunhila Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016