Universal The Barbarian (by S.F. Bay Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 8, 2015.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think i'll wait for the update first. No offence but why on earth did you put controls on the right ? 99% of any game similar to this on the app store is on the left.

I might dive in once the update hits though. Do like these sorts of games

2. sfbaystudios

sfbaystudios Well-Known Member

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    If you're on iPhone, the latest update has the ability to switch-- that update is live now. There's a bug it looks like on iPad, where the "left side" layout is incorrect.

We started w/ the buttons on the right because it mirrors a gamepad, with the joystick on left, buttons on right.

3. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    Version 1.5.1 is now live.

4. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Such a shame that the devs just wont budge on fixing the camera view, im soooooo shocked that they think this method works good? Am i missing something here? Why not just use the old slide your right thumb over the screen to rotate the camera, why have they forced a small green circle that you cannot even operate smoothly on an ipad air 2. This is the only thing i hate when trying to support a dev, as its such a game breaking thing that i cant play more then 30 mins in the town without reinstalling it, hell several of my friends tried it just to laugh at the camera implementation! I dont get it? Games years ago had this tried and tested method, so why fix something that aint broke as the saying goes??

5. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    Sorry you feel that way. I went through a couple implementations and ultimately this was the best. I found players were confused when there was another area to "touch" in order to rotate the camera, and many didn't even realize it without some sort of graphics. And once there was graphics, it didn't make sense to have it anywhere but near where the right fingers were already going to be.

In the end, this method works, I think, because you don't have to move your hands. iPad and iPhone, you can hold the device and work all the buttons and controls (aside from pause) without moving your grip at all, more like holding gamepad.

Ultimately the game does work with gamepads on iOS, so that may be a more rewarding experience (and then you won't be covering part of the screen with your fingers either)

Question though: Why do you have to reinstall the game after 30 minutes?

6. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Sorry i meant i uninstall, not reinstall. I find it very hard to beleive people did not realise what to do on the tried and tested method of how having NO buttons, but just sliding your thumb on the screen to pan the camera. How can 9 of my friends and work colleagues all say the same thing! Please look at other games with your style, i have so many and not one implement this way of panning the camera angles. The up and down angle is pointless, you should not even need the birds eye view, the side view is perfect, so that would only leave the left/right which you should just able to spin the screen, as its so much faster and easier. I keep hitting diffrent angles of your tiny green button and thats on an ipad! Entering buildings you just dissapear behind walls with no bearing of where you are, and because of this the view is constantly jumping up down left and right, nothing is smooth making it a chore to even play. I feel bad saying it as i know how hard you have worked, but i also work hard for my money, and i also work hard at supporting as many premium games as possible, and it is rare that i post gripes about gameplay as most errors i can look past, but when they are gamebreaking, and sucking the enjoyment out of it...well then it becomes a regretful purchase. I tried again but yet again an hour in and again it became too much. Fluidity of gameplay is important, this is too much effort to simply move around. I do however commend your responses and wanting to support this game and forum, but for me personally this is something i dont think im ever going to be able to get into, sadly.

7. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    Ah. Well, I guess I wasn't really trying to make a game like other games. Most of the games that look like this on iOS aren't at all like it -- they're tap to move, or worse (for me), on rails.

The tilt is there because of the times when the player would go behind objects. I didn't want to do a fade-thing that some games do, so I made it auto tilt instead, and some people liked that better, so I gave the option to do it manually. (I personally don't like it better). It's regrettable that there are times you go behind a wall and can't see at all still (in the caves this happens), but hopefully that'll be fixed over time as I continue to replace all the art with stuff I'm having built specifically. Environments may take longer, though.

Maybe it's because I don't play the other games on iOS (because I can't at all stand tap-to-move etc), and most likely it's also because I've played this game *a lot*, but I find the camera controls quite fluid -- generally when I'm moving around instead of turning w/ the left joystick, I tap the green circles to turn, so I'm always "facing" up.

8. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    Apple TV support may be coming, but may take aw while to do. I have to get this working properly on Android first I think, but Apple TV dev kit is on it's way and if I'm able to, I'll be getting this working on it. Not sure if iOS purchases will transfer over, however.

9. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    New Characters

Hey everyone ! It's taken WAY TOO LONG. But, the new Human models for the hero character are done, and I'm working on making a better, prettier, character creation screen.

Here's a WIP for that, taken from the iPhone. There are now Male and FEMALE (!) options, more skin tone options, hair color & style options as well as 3 different faces for each gender. Of course in the game you never get too close to the hero character, but I still like the face options.

Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9hES-flS3w

10. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Sweet! When is the update going to hit?

11. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    Not 100% sure. I have to play through to make sure none of the new changes crash the game, and I'm waiting on a few more audio bits (As well as mixing). the entire audio of the game is changing from it's original release with custom audio, which is pretty cool.

Once that happens, I should be able to set the date. It'll be coming out on Steam at the same time, and hopefully android.

12. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    Another question, will this game ever go on sale? I think it would be a good idea to push those on the fence completely over it with a price drop. I tell a lot of people about how great this game is but they inevitably gripe about the price.

13. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    $2.99 would have some biters I bet! #

14. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    I don't think it'll be on sale -- it's really hard for me to know what the best price is. I'm sure I'd get more sales at 2.99, but would I get 4x as many sales? Idk. I don't actually get many views on the store itself already! :D And I have no idea what the average sale:view is for the iOS store.

Per an agreement with the audio company that's re-doing the audio, the iOS version will be "Free" for the first two quests, and then normal price as an in-app purchase for the rest of the game. So the price won't go down, but ppl can try it out. The first two quests seem to be taking people 1-3 hours to finish. The entire game is 30+ hours for most people, so hopefully that's a decent amount.

I will be very curious about downloads:sales once that happens. I'm not sure if the Android version will be the same setup or not, and the steam version will not be.

15. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    So I guess I lied! I didn't expect to do this -- but I was talking w/ other developers about pricing and all that. The big Question Mark is would I get 3x the sales at 1/3rd the price ($2.99).

I decided to test that. I just now put in to have the price reduced to $2.99 until May 1st. So just over a week. I feel like i Need to tell you guys since (1) you've been supporting me with this thread and (2) I totally just said it wouldn't go on sale! I won't be quick to put it on sale in the future, of course -- I'm not a huge fan of constantly putting things on sale. But there is no way of knowing if this would work or not. If it does go up 3x or more, maybe I'd keep it at 2.99 or maybe 4.99 or something. I have a feeling I won't see much change. We shall see!

16. Avatre

Avatre Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    That's great news (for me, at least :/) I'll be jumping on it as soon as the new price hits.

17. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Wow count me in as a purchase when I get home. Please dont think the price scares me its the backlog that scares me, but with a lower price I can justify it to myself somehow #

18. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    As an original buyer, I hope your price drop gets you lots of sales. No hard feelings here. Nice game. Excited for the update.

19. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    #159 anthony78, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Nice to hear about the price drop. Had been interested in it but actually forgot all about it. Need to clear some major space now to get it. :)

Edit: Just skimmed through the thread not reading every detail, but has performance improved on the game overall? I would be playing either on an iPad Mini 2 (same specs as a Mini 3) or an iPhone 6.

20. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    I told ya it would be a good idea ;)