Universal The Barbarian (by S.F. Bay Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 8, 2015.

1. sfbaystudios

sfbaystudios Well-Known Member

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    With the newest version now available, I'm looking to update the menu -- specifically the Inventory. Question for anyone who wants to answer: How important is it to you, that you see the player character in the inventory screen? I've got some ideas on how to re-do it, make it much simpler and quick to navigate, but that character does take up a bunch of real estate. I like it there, i like seeing the change in his look right away. But I'd be curious if people don't agree with me.

Also, since pretty much all my day and night is spent working (which isn't so bad since I enjoy it!), I do like to go to a coffee shop at least once and work on something else. Recently I've been planning my "opus", a 1st person party based RPG for both desktop and mobile.

Figured I'd share a little shot of a table I've built up with some of my ideas.

Attached Files:

2. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I'm all for a visible character model, but that's just me. :)

I can't wait to see an in game photo of your RPG. :) Dungeon crawlers are my all time favorite genre, and I'm really happy to see them make a resurgence in the AppStore. :)

3. Will all updates now be only for iOS 8.3? I'm still on 8.1.3 so I can use iExplorer/iFunbox, and now I can't update the game.

4. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    Yeah, for now. It seemed that some people were having crashing issues on 8.1, so I upped the requirement to 8.3 to avoid the lame "It crashes don't buy this game" reviews.

v.1.4.5 being submitted to the app store today.

5. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    #125 sfbaystudios, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    [Edit, these will be in the update after next. There's one already waiting for review with apple, so the update after that one will have the new mushrooms.]

New Mushrooms!

As you guys know I'm going to be re-doing all of the art as time goes on. the first replacement is for the Mushroom Monsters in "The Other World" -- check out the video and image from it. The Mushrooms are now a bit more aggressive -- they'll jump at you!

[​IMG]

Youtube video:
    https://youtu.be/jcKaclaJBgg

6. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    1.4.6 is now live! As of a few minutes ago, 1.4.6. should be available for all iOS users. This fixes some bugs etc. The next version will go into the review queue in a few hours, and will take its own sweet time being approved, unfortunately.

7. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    New version is out -- fixes some bugs, replaces one of the enemies with a new (better) version, etc.

8. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just picked this up (ouch my backlog hurts) -- looking forward to playing it this weekend!

Devs that support this forum like you do deserve recognition, especially for creating premium games -- my crazy backlog or not. :)

9. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    Thanks! Next update will have a better Inventory screen, with sections for each weapon/armor type, so it'll be easier to see what you've got while ignoring stuff you're not interested in.

10. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Hi devs! ✌#️
    First of all let me start by saying, im very impressed with what you have accomplished here! It is extraordinary considering your one guy! Im playing on an air 2 and it has drawn me in straight away. As said there are some teething problems with this game......
    First of all the camera always seems shakey when moving, there is no smoothness? Is this something you can fix? So it runs smooth like implosion for example?
    Also an invert option for turning view on the pad would be great so left is left!
    Also sometimes dialougue does not show straight away? And having an option to zoom in on gameplay like lesabel would be amazing!
    This is a great accomplishment and seems like a good game, but without a shadow of a doubt if this run smooth like butter and was not clunky and bugs and issues were sorted, this would be the best game of its kind on the app store.
    With ios games we see this all the time, devs with big hopes and the difficulties with making a polished game. I will keep playing and see how it goes, but i gotta admit the clunky movement and the issues mentioned can make it a chore to stick with the game, but i hope that wont be the case for me!
    Hope we see some amazing updates from you that turn this game in to the real deal, what you have envisioned all along for this game. Several of my friends were round and saw this and were on the fence about purchasing after they saw it play, but i showed them this forum and how dedicated you are to this game, so im sure they will jump and enjoy what you have created for us all! ✌#️✌#✌#✌#

11. pauldavidmerritt

pauldavidmerritt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    Ultrasound reporting systems
    East Rutherford NJ
    Lol "ouch my backlog hurts"

12. Any plans to add an update for older iOS? I'm still on 8.1 bc 8.3 prevents side-loading of save data. :/

13. Alexythimia23

Dec 26, 2012
    Is anyone else getting distracted with camera panning different angles? It seems to be excessive for me #
    Im trying really hard to stick with it but its actually doing my eyes in after a bit ###

14. Bison Eye

Bison Eye Active Member

Jun 29, 2015
    This game looks like tons of fun, and I'm impressed that the developer is so responsive, but unfortunately the app's technical requirements are too steep for my hardware (iPhone 5 with limited memory available). I wish there was a version that replaced some of the fancy graphics with a more cartoony look for older devices...

15. Alexythimia23

Dec 26, 2012
    You probably dont want that trust me, there is a good game here, and i supported the dev as i do with premium games....but i gotta be honest and its really not a great experience. Comat is very rigid, but will hopefully improve, my biggest gripe is how the camera is constantly panning diffrent angles, you dissaper behind scenery with no bearing of wher you are. Its great when devs are this ambitious, but the shortcomings show massivley as the great shaun musgraves reviw has already pointed out. I really really hope the dev makes enuff money from this game and patches this to the standard a game should be. But as i always say theres two sides to the coin, some may love the way it plays, as i dont see that it bothers other players as much as they are sticking with it hours and hours in....

16. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    Hey guys,

When you say "panning" do you mean the tilting? The camera won't auto-pan (left/right movement), but it will auto-tilt when you get blocked by environment.

I had to work that type of solution because (1) it'd be really REALLY annoying if it didn't do anything when you were blocked and (2) things like fade-through-scenery weren't a possibility with the environment assets I had to work with.

I hear you on the left/right reverse option, so I'll add that in an upcoming version. Would you want an option to turn off the auto tilting as well? I know when I play, I generally always walk "forward", and use the camera panning buttons to turn, so I may not be auto-tilted as much as players who never actively rotate the camera around.

The RAM issue isn't about the style of the game - -cartoony or not. It's just about the amount of textures on the screen at once. Everything but the most bare scenes have a lot of textures, and they're already optimized size-wise. Any lower resolution and you'd notice big time. The game wouldn't look cartoony, it'd just look fuzzy and bad.

One (bigger) update that will come eventually is new environments that I'm having built. It's a very slow process, but it will give me much more control over the textures, which means that hopefully I'll be able to have better quality textures at lower resolutions. However, the 1gb minimum will likely always remain -- by the time i get this out, the iPhone 6s will be out, and we'll all be waiting for the iPhone 7! :D

17. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    New version is available on iOS as of a few minutes ago, version 1.4.8

18. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    The new iPod Touch has an A8 processor and 1GB of RAM. Therefor it should run the game just fine. The clock speed seems to be slower than the iPhone 6, but that shouldn't cause any problems.

19. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California
    We will be submitting version 1.5 to the App Store today or tomorrow! There's some cool new things included!

Attached Files:

20. sfbaystudios

May 12, 2015
    Game Developer
    California