Universal The Barbarian (by S.F. Bay Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 8, 2015.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    0 crashes for me. Not a one.

2. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    What are you running this on and what iOS? I'm on 8.1 iPad mini 3

Edit: I want this game to work so bad as well. These games are my absolute favorite

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    You clear areas -- which I prefer. However, an NPC just warned me that the goblins might come back to the camps, so I guess I could go back there to grind. So far, though, the game hasn't been grindy at all.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    iPhone 6, iOS 8.3.

5. sdefranco1

sdefranco1 Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Not very good at all...avoid this one folks!

It constantly tells me to reduce the settings because my frame rate is low, but why wouldn't you optimize your game for the platform you're aiming for anyway?

There are lots of areas in the environment that effectively block your field of view, and combat that is snooze-worthy at best.

What a waste of a 10 spot- I'm about to file a request for a refund from Apple due to the game's ridiculously poor performance, but it certainly is not the only reason as to why I'm doing it.

6. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Did you reduce the settings and try it?

I tend to trust squarezero impressions however these aren't helping. Then again I've spent $10 on worse things.

This thread needs more impressions so I think I'll try it and report back.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    People can be very particular when it comes to this genre -- the fact that I like the game doesn't mean that others will. I have no performance issues, but the again, I'm in top-of-the-line hardware. Frame-rate makes a huge difference when it comes to combat, and I can see it being snooze-worthy if it's slow and not responsive enough. To be clear, I'm finding the combat to be actually a big plus. Your mileage may vary.

As to camera issues, you can rotate the perspective, so that hasn't been an issue for me.

8. Spiral75

Spiral75 Well-Known Member

Hmm I am still on the fence about this. At $5 I would have already jumped at it. Because MAN I am STILL looking for a decent replacement for one of my all time favorites (ORC: Vengeance)

9. Septim

Septim Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    That was a great game. A game similar to Orc Vengeance with a premium price/no IAP, more depth, a more open world, and controller support could become God king but it's seeming like an ARPG pipe dream seeing everything together.

10. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I found this old trailer:

https://vimeo.com/100692137

But no new footage anywhere. I really want this to be good... So what's the verdict? Will it run well on an iPad mini 2? Is the gameplay decent?

11. inthismoment07

inthismoment07 Active Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Just clicked on the link. The game is now $7.99 on the AppStore. Might take the plunge.

12. Ragn4rok 74

Ragn4rok 74 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2014
    #52 Ragn4rok 74, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Just tried to get it and I'm getting the message that it's being modified. This sucks because to make space for it I had to uninstall RBI 2015! If it comes back up for $8 I'll get and post som imps. I tend to like these types of games as well so I'm hoping it will rock. I'm using an iPad Air for the record.
    EDIT: Ok, I'm downloading now. I'll try and get back with imps tonight. If not I'll definitely play some by tomorrow.

13. Ragn4rok 74

Ragn4rok 74 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Ok, so after playing for about 30 minutes I'm really on the fence as far as recommending this. After my first save, when I load the game my character avatar has been changed somehow. On my iPad Air even with the settings on minimal shadows and resolution at 70% the game still feels sluggish and I intermittently get the message to adjust my resolution which is really annoying. At least let me turn the message off. There are definitely collision detection issues. Half of my character disappeared into the floor at one point as if there were stairs.
    Like I said, I've only played very briefly and I'll have to play some more....I'm just not sure if I want to play more at this point.

14. dasec

dasec New Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Big fan of these kind of games.

Gonna try this game

15. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I think this is the first time since joining TA that I've seen an unknown dev release a game and have 6 pages of buzz but no must buys lol

If they lower it to $5 I'll buy it and do a full review.

Billy

16. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    #56 italodance, May 11, 2015
    MFi support?

Edit: I just found it on the official website:

Can I use a Game Pad?
    Yes! The Barbarian is designed to be played with a Dual Stick Game Pad on all platforms including mobile!

17. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    It says it is in the description

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    On my iPhone 6 I have yet to see a message about changing settings. That said, there are some aspects of the game that seem less polished -- hence my earlier statement about it being an indie action RPG, warts and all. You'll notice that the physics are a bit wonky: stand on stairs and you slowly slide down as if you were on a slippery hill.

What this game gets right, though, is the sense of exploring a rich world. The city you start on has a lot going on, and once you get down to the sewers the environment gets even more interesting -- it has a palpable sense of danger. There are also seems to be a lot of depth to the gameplay. Different weapons have different effects, for example, with clubs causing less damage but having a chance to stun enemies. Basic classes lead to specializations like Paladins and knights. And money means something in the game: it's hard to get, and it buys necessary skills, gears, and weapons. This isn't a Dungeon Hunter style loot fest.

And here's the most amazing thing for me: I've already spend a couple hours on the game and have yet to set foot in the overworld. There's a ton more to explore.

I expect that the developer will keep optimizing the game. Perhaps folks will want to wait for that to jump in. And I'm sure that the price will keep dropping, as skepticism will make it difficult to make sales. I find it sad, though: we keep complaining about bite-size IAP heavy games in the App Store, but when someone asks for money, our standards become prohibitive. I've played much worse RPGs on PC (Two Worlds I'm looking at you). This is an honest effort, and I'm for one I'm willing to go along on the ride.

19. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    @square, i think i almost fall for your review(i usually does though :p), please keep us informed, perhaps this little gems will get more attention here. also, where is the developer?can you please message them to give us more info from the game?

20. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #60 redribbon, May 11, 2015
    i found some gameplay from the pc version, too bad i found the game feels like half baked judging from the video alone. well, please keep in mind this is only my early judgement by only looking from the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSqH04TLFnE

my imps from the video:
    pros:
    - no loading when entering a house which is a plus.
    - combat animation is okay
    - overall graphics are good (pc version)
    cons:
    - the atmosphere feels too empty and clean
    - the character running animation looks stiff and not smooth
    - enemies path finder system not working well, sometimes you will see the goblins keep running against the wall, even when youre still far.
    - camera angle movement still need lot of work.