Universal The Barbarian (by S.F. Bay Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 8, 2015.

1. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    ^im still not sure if the footage shown was captured directly from iOS device or from the simulator from PC which makes it possible to show all the fancy graphics with smooth framerate. so buy it with caution :D

i cant argue though the game does looks great.

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #22 Vovin, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015

Greetings from your Current Behaviour. It says otherwise. ;) :D

3. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    Hm,only 1Gb or more devices? They better if they do this for the iPad air 2..waiting for impression..

4. meril

meril Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Oct 13, 2011
    Switzerland
    Looks promising. A diablo like dungeon crawler and NOT free to play *thumbs up*.

Because the high price tag, i'm waiting for impressions or a gameplay vid. I'm curious is there loot? Gear? Character points?

5. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    From the trailer the fighting animations feel kinda floaty and weightless :/ definitely not worth 10€ but I wait for some imps!

6. I hope those four green dots are not the directional pad? Seems poorly placed. If not, what are they?

7. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    #27 Devok, May 9, 2015
    Any achievements? Online connection? Multiplayer? Is it unreal or unity engine?

8. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I'm disappointed in you guys; 3 pages and all we have is people asking for imps. I'd no one posts soon I'm biting.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The framerate could be better on my iPhone 6, but I wouldn't say it's weightless. In fact one of the nice touches I mentioned in my previous post is that NPCs react to your presence in a realistic way -- if you bump into them they stagger backwards, etc. You can also climb up stairs to get to the second level of outdoor structures, walk inside buildings without loading times and so on.

Again, I have spent very little time with the game so far, so I can't say whether it's worth the price. But so far it doesn't feel poorly made.

10. pauldavidmerritt

pauldavidmerritt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    Ultrasound reporting systems
    East Rutherford NJ
    It does look good. I think they should advertise it with gameplay videos, maybe developer commentary. That way, no one feels like they're skipping a ten dollar dinner for nothing. Give us some real advert push, devs! This one is going on my watch list, for sure.

11. pauldavidmerritt

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    East Rutherford NJ
    Huh?..

12. pauldavidmerritt

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    East Rutherford NJ
    Lol I know, right?

13. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I purchased it already but haven't fired it up yet, weekends are bad. I'll post as soon as possible imps

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #34 squarezero, May 9, 2015
    What am I, chopped liver? ;) See early impressions above...

Just finished the first quest. So far, it's playing like a cross between the Bard's Tale reboot and Aralon. Even in a basic mission (destroy the goblin camp) there was a fair amount of combat variety, with three different goblin types with different weapons and tactics. Weapon reach seems to matter, and it pays to wait for openings, use choke points, etc. Hits have an visible impact on the enemy, which is nice.

Leveling up is automatic as far as attributes are concerned, but you have to choose (and pay for) training to allocate skill points. Warriors have access to magic -- not sure how different it plays out if you play a mage.

So far so good.

BTW the game does not hold your hand. Want find out where to train or buy weapons? Ask around. That nice looking chest in the back of the house? It may be trapped. Get killed? Lose half your gold. The game seems to encourage exploration but will punish you if you're stupid. I like that :).

15. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    I may have been... Pretty harsh, but what I'm saying is that there's a random ARPG from a random decoloepr who's typically made... Honestly, it looks like crap. And at a high price point, I can't trust them

16. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Is it me or the video looks better than the images? The video gameplay has more detail and shadows"looks better" than images.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The video is from the PC version. Doesn't mean that the iOS version looks bad -- just not as good as that. Overall, though, the textures are decent, the animation is good, and there are nice particle effects on smoke, fog, spells, etc. It certainly does not look like crap.

18. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Downloading now. I'll be using my mfi controller for impressions as well. I'll be back later, hopefully with good news as I am always awaiting a great ARPG

19. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    #39 Yerti1, May 9, 2015
    EDIT 2: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

Running iPad Mini 3 so the specs should be okay.

Here's impressions so far

Mfi controller works for menus
    Character creation is a little bland, as you just select a prerendered model, with preprogrammed name as well. After selecting the character you select fighter or Mage for them. Characters seem to be male only

Game crashed after character creation

Game will not load whenever I pick my character to start the game, it crashes EVERY time. Uninstalled game, I'm going to try this again.

EDIT: Reinstalled the game, it is now running, more impressions in a bit. I don't know if the game was corrupted on download or what happened, but I did nothing different this time.

20. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME

When changing the settings resolution gamepad won't move above the audio so everything there has to be done by touch. I switched 100% resolution and the game lagged and told me to adjust settings. While resetting back to 60% it crashed again. Once again I'm having trouble getting into my game without crashing. Deleted character to try again. Again, crashed. I will be contacting Apple for a refund as this game is completely broken.