The April 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: QuestLord

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Mar 30, 2017.

1. bsabiston

bsabiston Well-Known Member

How does that help you get more gold? If you are not powerful enough to beat the guys, and you don't have enough health items, then dying doesn't give you any more of them.

2. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012

Sorry. I thought when you asked "how are you supposed to get more" you were talking about health.

3. bsabiston

Well, health in the form of potions or pizza etc, which costs gold. Maybe my character just needs to be leveled up more so he can survive longer - but where are the enemies? I probably just missed an area or something that will let me advance a little.

4. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Bsabiston - you appear to be having the exact same problem I did. As long as you have attack spells and MP regen, you're fine; those monsters are pretty dumb and you can pick them off from 2-3 panels away. I was level 11 with only the most basic attack spell and 4 Knowledge and it was stiill doable that way.

5. bsabiston

Yeah I guess so. My problem is I've got one of those dudes standing right on the other side of the door, he chased me there. So I can't attack from a distance. And I get about two hits in before I'm at half health and sometimes I can survive the two steps it takes to turn around and exit, and sometimes he can drain half my health in those two steps. If I make it out, I have to sit there for a good three minutes giving myself carpal tunnel just tapping step forward and back to slowwwwly get my health back up to full so I can go back in, take anothe brow shots, and then hope I don't get killed turning around to go back out. I'm suppose I will get there eventually if I just chip away at it.

6. bsabiston

Okay - I did it! It was mainly that one dude at the door that was a pain in the ass. The rest of them, as you say falcon815, were easy enough since they don't chase you. Though still a hell of a lot of tapping back and forth. I counted and it took 300 taps each time I had to turn around and get away from that guy at the door.

The evil Drowsk was a pushover compared to those axe guys, he fell after like 4 spells!

Anyway, fun game - looking forward to part 2 now!

7. LavaLevel

LavaLevel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    Much like myself at the moment, the Shattered Realm is going through somewhat of a Financial Crisis.

Looking through the old code, it looks like I spawn in a lot of places, just not much loot. :( I didn't want people to just camp and farm, but I could have added more farms.

Forests of kyre have the best farm rates with the Bandits having a drop of 30% drop rate.

I think the second best is in Northice with Goblins at 20%

and the Mogorn in Perilous Peaks with a terrible spawn rate of 10% but a weak reward.

If it drives you absolutely crazy you could always
    Go into the Exalted Apple ReSelling business

Also be careful doing the dancing around to raise your HP, at least keep your dance hard for me to detect (something besides Forward back Forward) or those enemies will get aggravated and very very fast.

(writes down "note to self:Hey Dumbass, improve economy in the Realms of the Second Age..." )

8. bsabiston

Shit man I just wrote a reply and it disappeared into the ether! Anyway, yeah I always saw that "Enemies aggravated" but never really knew what it did. Luckily those red guys don't chase you if you are not right next to them. Without the stepping back and forth a million times rapidly, though, I never would have got through that last dungeon.

Do you have a release date planned for the second one? I'm close to finishing my retro-rpg sequel to Lowlander soon too. It's top down though, not 3D.

What games did you grow up on that inspired you to make Questlord? For this style of game I pretty much only ever played Wizardry. And the dungeons of Ultima were this style too. Though both were line graphics, no textures.

9. LavaLevel

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    #69 LavaLevel, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    I was going for those who cause the most evil are usually compensating for being truly weak.. It was barely referenced, but I think this part might have gotten lost in translation so to speak. lol. I had a lot of people tell me that actually left that part, restocked, and prepared for a battle worse than the Bah-Lorns. DOH! :eek:

falcon815:

These are great ideas for a revamped update of QL1(64 bit needed + Ease up on Bah-Lorns + Economic Stimulus Package, lol). after QL2 of course... I shouldn't have to worry because I'm happy to announce that Strafe/Sidestep has been a thing in QL2 from the beginning.

10. LavaLevel

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    #70 LavaLevel, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Ultima III. HUGE fan of Ultima 3 (It was my all time favorite of the series ) and a lesser known game called Questron 1. I basically wanted a to play a game like Ultima 3/Questron 1 but that was not all dungeons and 3rd person. I liked the idea of a simple NPCs everywhere communicating with you like those games along with the towns/world aspect besides just Dungeons. That really brings to life old school 3rd person CRPG crawls in a unique way I hope. I think with what I have now with QuestLord 2 you guys are going to enjoy it if you liked QuestLord 1.

Some of the major improvements.

+ Strafe/Sidestep (thank goodness!)
    + The Shrines. Good Grief the shrines. Now you will be able to jump to any shrine you previously visited. so you can gtfo out of areas.
    + Teleports Spell now can do the same, so you can really travel around.
    + Optional mini-map. But you are not a cyborg, so it's written into the game in a unique way I don't want to spoil just yet.

think of QuestLord 1 as an 8bit style, and QuestLord 2 will be more of a 16 bit style. still pixelated, but twice the rez, colors and features.

omg I have to shut up and get back to work. I am going to start showing screens either this weekend or next week and I am working on my promo video so things are heating up. Last time I announced QL1 sort of prematurely. I am about a week from announce now and it will come out shortly thereafter. Upcoming game thread coming soon!!

Since you seem like an Ultima fan, you will find this a little interesting... I had a very unique experience while working on QuestLord 1

oh & Lowlander looks awesome! going to give it a spin when things calm down for me!

11. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    This was HUGE. A dungeon crawler that nostly doesn't take place in dungeons... genius. Makes the game feel so huge and alive.

I never found the spellbook the first time around, and traveling between all the places I had visited just felt like such a real world to explore.

12. bsabiston

Yeah, very cool interview w/ Garriott! I remember waiting with such anticipation for Ultima III after seeing it advertised in SoftTalk magazine. It's funny, I too met and interviewed him, back in 99 :) Those games were so amazing.

Actually Lowlander is such a ripoff of Ultima that I was nervous about releasing it without his permission. I was able to get him to take a look at it and give it the thumbs up.

13. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I got my Silly Little Thing from Japan!! I was like a kid at Christmas when I checked my mailbox. I got a weird look from my wife. I don't think she understands the significance.

Thanks Shaun! I will cherish it.

Attached Files:

14. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yay! Wonder if Rabendoppler got their goodie yet?

15. Rabendoppel

Rabendoppel Member

Jan 16, 2017
    No, unfortunately I have not. It must be stuck somewhere in the post...
    Maybe someone in customs liked it too much ;)

16. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    17 quests down. 1 to go. Just have to figure out what to do with these blue shards. I think I know where to go but I sure wish I had some kind of quick travel to get there.

17. rangent

rangent Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    I became a father a little over two years ago, and while being able to play bunch of games, I have never actually had a chance to finish one since thenÂ… Until tonight! I am so thrilled that I took part in this month's play-along! I wish I would've taken a screenshot of my character at the very end. Just a tip for anyone who is playing without any spoilers: make sure you take your character screenshots before you face the last trial.

18. rangent

rangent Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    #78 rangent, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    This is apparently the only screen shot I took that wasn't really a spoiler (everything else was key characters giving useful info). I still can't believe I didn't get a photo of my character at the end.

Attached Files:

19. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Looks like everyone is having fun with this one! I have it also, never managed to beat it, but I hope I will some day. I decided to play catch up/finish projects this month. I start waaay to many rpg's. I was about 40 hours into DQIV sp I decided I will wrap up that one and not start another until I'm done with it. :)

20. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    I'll still be here, watching this thread, for whenever you do get around to it! This game may just be the best RPG experience I've had on iOS.