The April 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: QuestLord

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Mar 30, 2017.

1. LavaLevel

LavaLevel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    falcon815:

omg, i'm so sorry. I think this is the one place that really needed a little more mercy tuning. You are having a problem with your shield getting knocked down. Are you using Shield Bash, and do you have a good shield? You said you have a good shield but you really need to keep searching the Abyss. Try to avoid fights and get around them if you can. You can do it! Mickey can do it!

(How are cheats/easter eggs handled in a month long play through?)

korossyl:

Haha. That's awesome!

2. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I haven't been using Shield Bash against The Monsters Who Shall Not Be Named, but I tried it against this one. Didn't seem to help much - it did damage in the range I'm used to seeing from my sword, and the monster just batted the shield away on its next move anyway.

After three more attempts, I finally killed the last guardian of the Abyss... And promptly ran into two more inside the front door. And I can't run away from these even if I tried; the hallways are too narrow. It's just coming down to luck. I have stretches where I keep my shield up for 5-6 attacks at a time and they all do 0-5 damage, and I have stretches where consecutive hits go over 90 and I die.

I said in my post that I have the Great Shield (DEF + 30). It's the best one I've come across in shops. The only worthwhile equipment I've found outside of shops have been rings and amulets.

3. LavaLevel

LavaLevel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    Oh no! Is Mikey's fate sealed? Are you stuck as in, you can't regroup and give it another go? Have the Val-Kin given up on Mickey!?

I want to give you more help or maybe a hint, but I don't know how you feel about spoiling. :/

4. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
  5. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I've finished hundreds of RPGs, I can handle this. Though once I finish, maybe I'll hit you up for a couple of questions.

After a baker's dozen defeats at the hands of the Monsters that Shall Not Be Named, Mickey stared at the Val-Kin statue for a while and came to a decision - he would track down that spellbook after all. He's not the smartest creature in the world, but even he has enough magic to cast Zap once. Slowly, but surely, he's been giving the Monsters that Shall Not Be Named a taste of death by a thousand (or a couple dozen) zaps from afar.

In the process, I found a slight bug. You probably already know about it, but I figured I'd post anyway. I have the HP/MP regen ring on that heals 4 of each per (time period). As I've sat around waiting for my MP to recharge, I've noticed that instead of draining 7 for Zap and taking two time periods to get my MP back, I've been regaining MP past my maximum, like so:

8 -> 1 -> 5 -> 9 -> 2 -> 6 -> 10 -> 3 -> 7 -> 0 -> 4 -> 8

I decided to take a screenshot to be sure I wasn't crazy. Not sure how long the game would let me continue past the maximum - probably just from 9 to 13, I would guess? - so it's not exactly a gamebreaker.

Attached Files:

6. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    My first playthrough, I never found the spellbook (or tbe Dwarven homeland). My secobd playthrough, I found the book, but never figured out how to equip it, and just assumed it was something the game would unlock for me -- I mean, who in their right mind would ever take off their shield!?

I felt pretty stupid when I figured it out on my THIRD playthrough.

7. PerfectTommy

PerfectTommy Member

Feb 4, 2014
    F'norr the Big'un is still at it! Slow progress due to Mrs. Big'un and the three smaller Big'uns. I most recently bested the Ice Giant! Onward!

8. Gippiboss

Gippiboss Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Ok here is an Update:

This Game is fantastic :)

I have now completed 17 Quests and now I want to search for hidden Objects and Stuff like that.

I think I need to have 4 Pieces of Orbs to go further. By now one is missing.

Well I fail with Uploading a Screenshot from my iPhone so I will try that again later.

9. Gippiboss

Gippiboss Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Screenshot

Attached Files:

10. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Mission Complete! Mickey has now attained the title of QuestLord!

As it turned out, I needed to hack through about half a dozen more of the Monsters that Shall Not Be Named. My "peck them to death with magic" strategy probably took longer than brute forcing it with sword hits and healing items, but I was genuinely afraid I'd run out of healing items. Not knowing how many full-heal (200 HP) items I would need to finish each battle, I decided it was safer to use what little magic power I had to chip away at my enemies. Once I finally got to the chamber with the final boss, I had a very simple hand-to-hand fight that echoed my experience with most other monsters in the game.

Thanks for the recommendation, Shaun. Probably wouldn't have come across this game without it - QuestLord came out before I had an iOS device to play it on (Feb 2013 vs. May 2013). I enjoyed my experience overall and I'm glad I participated in the Reload Replay for the third month out of four.

There were a couple things that niggled at me about the game. One, as I already covered, was the experience of physically fighting the Monsters that Shall Not Be Named. Never knowing when the next blow of 60% of my max HP was coming meant I never knew when to use healing items, and with the limited inventory space and my endgame money issues, I was afraid of blowing half my inventory on one monster and getting myself into an intractable situation. If there's a place to grind out gold to buy more healing items, I never found it.

The other was movement-related. The mechanics for turning and moving in combat were a little unfriendly to the player. I never quite got used to the fact that turning my character allowed monsters a free attack, especially since monsters had no such concerns of their own. It makes sense in theory (like giving monsters an attack after the player has dug around in their bag for an item to use/equip, which is fine), but it makes the player and monster mechanics a little inconsistent. To make it more consistent, I would suggest one of the following:

- make turning the player a free action that doesn't allow monsters an attack, or
    - add the ability to sidestep, or
    - if turning the player is not a free action and costs time, count these turns toward HP/MP regeneration

Any one of these three things would even out the mechanics of close-quarters movement with monsters a bit.

Attached Files:

11. bsabiston

bsabiston Well-Known Member

#51 bsabiston, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    I'm really enjoying the game -- level 10 right now and just reached Alcazar Grove. I've been through the mosquito swamp and been to the harder area beyond, with the burnt ground, but I turned back to hit other areas I missed... ha ha my character name was supposed to be 'Boli' but I just notice it was autocorrected to 'Boil'.

One weird thing is that if you wear headphones, the noises when you walk are two sounds played alternately one after the other in the left and right ears, with a delay -- either foot, I guess? But it is very jarring to hear sounds like that! Maybe it only happens in the Elf Grove, I don't know... in any case, just a suggestion, if you are making a sequel I think I would leave that out :)

12. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Level 9 and 12 quests down.

13. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    Huzzah!!

14. rangent

rangent Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    I feel like I'm stuck. I don't know the names of any of the places, but I just found the crystal to open up the portal in the mages guild which was a dead end for me, and the burnt out place where the mountain is supposed to be is a good deal too difficult for my character now. Any tips?

15. bsabiston

I am close to the end - placed the two skulls but those devil things with the axes are so tough, they sapped me of all my healing items and all my gold. Since gold doesn't seem to regenerate anywhere, what do I do to get more health items?

16. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    Gold DOES regenerate in at least one spot: the bandits near Kyre!

17. bsabiston

Yikes that is all the way back at the beginning - and hence wouldn't they just give a small amount of gold? I'm just not sure how you're supposed to get stronger to take on the final guys, if the enemies don't respawn and there's no way to get more gold? What am I missing?

18. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I've got gold anxiety too. I'm getting somewhat close to the end and I don't have near enough to buy all the best equipment. Not to mention heal items. Just gotta hope I find more gold on the way to the next quest.

19. bsabiston

Maybe I missed some quests. But even so, if you go out and get beaten up, use up all your health, then how are you supposed to get more?

20. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I guess you can just die as long as you leave an offering at a statue. I don't think there is a penalty.