The April 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: QuestLord

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Lol seems obvious now, thanks for the reply.

2. bsabiston

bsabiston Well-Known Member

#22 bsabiston, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    I thought I would give this a shot. As long as it is portrait mode, I'm game. So far it is pretty fun! However, I was working through Cragmore Pass and went down some stairs, I thought, and ended up in the Dwarf/mine Hammerstone area. Is it not possible to go back? I can't find the stairs I used to get down here. Anyone know? Was it a one-way trip?

EDIT: nevermind, I figured it out! :)

3. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Yeah, the first time I played (as a human), I never found either the Dwarf or Elf starting points. Starting as a Dwarf and going down those stairs blew my mind :D

4. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Mickey the Dwarf's adventures have taken an interesting turn. I've been running around bashing undead, bandits, and a pesky necromancer without a whole lot of trouble so far. I've put my level-up stats into Bravery and Cunning in a 2:1 ratio, haven't touched Knowledge yet. The only "problems", if you could call them that, are thus:

- I haven't had anywhere near enough money to buy the best equipment I've seen so far. I saved up and got a nice sword for 200 gold, but I've been unable to save enough to replace my starting shield so far. Everything I've found in dungeons has been pretty worthless so far with the notable exception of finding a healing ring like RHess did. Maybe now I'll be able to sell off some cheap food items I keep finding just to chip away at getting a new shield...

- I found a quest item without finding the quest it was attached to (see screenshot). I guess I need to head back to the last couple of towns and make sure I didn't miss anyone... At least, after I'm done roasting bandits in the Forest of Kyre.

I'll keep running around in this forest and the last town or two to see if I can finish off the quest I never started.

Attached Files:

5. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Found it! Quest resolved.

Moved on to the ice area and started getting shellacked by wolves, so I returned to the forest and nearby city to regroup. Picked up new armor for 200 gold and had a good chuckle at the healing item "Health Triangle" that was on the castle wall in Alestane.

6. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    A trek back to my hometown to buy some upgraded armor and shield solved my wolf problem. I also learned that I shouldn't take all NPCs at their word - a guard told me I wasn't allowed to proceed in Alestane, so I didn't explore as much as I should have when I first got there. Ignoring him allowed me to progress to a new area and unlock two new quests, one of which, a tower exploration / assassination mission, I finished immediately. I've now completed 4 quests.

Now I've cleared out the Wolf's Den and am continuing to explore the ice area - I've got two active quests that are right next to each other on the map. I also have a full equipment loadout except the spellbook. Here's what my Mickey is rocking:

Cloak of Defense
    Vendel Helm
    Amulet of Haida
    Battle Ax
    Chainmail
    Iron Shield
    Life Giver
    Warrior Boots

My equipment is about 50/50 purchased vs. found.

I also found a Mysterious Blue Shard in the ice area - another quest item that I haven't been given a quest for.

7. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    I love health triangles :D
    Remember that quest items can be dropped withoit disappearing, so if you've got something you don't want clogging up your inventory, you can leave it in a town!

8. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I saved a baby!

9. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Mickey made a bit more progress overnight. Immediately after his first boat ride, he got pinned between two rather large monsters and suffered his first defeat. Taking more care in his travels from that point forward, his journey has taken him to the Wastelands, where he was warned that he needed to make sure he knew what he was doing before he proceeded. After one battle in the Wastelands with an Undead Lord, he decided it was time to high-tail it back to where he'd come from to regroup.

Definitely don't have the artifacts I need to proceed here, so I'll head back to the previous area to see what I've missed. I've completed 10 of 18 quests, and one of them, "Plumbing Problems", gave me such a huge pile of money that I could afford the best sword I've seen (45 power Great Sword). It was a tough choice between that and new armor, but buying the sword brought my stats more into balance.

Attached Files:

10. bsabiston

I got a necklace somewhere which reveals the whole map you're on. It also put a little black and white icon at the bottom of my map, I guess to show that it was in effect? Anyway when I tapped the icon, it caused the ma to redraw, but nothing else changed. I was wondering whether the effect could be turned on and off via the icon. Because that effect is mixed blessing, you can only tell where you haven't been by the I revealed pats of the map, right? But eventually the icon disappeared and my maps went back to normal, though I still have the necklace. Anyone know how that works? Did I use it up or does it only last a short while, or did tapping the icon wear it out somehow? Was I supposed to unequip it and re-equip it when I wanted to use it???

11. LavaLevel

LavaLevel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    Hey bsabiston!

The Amulet of Haida is what I believe you have used, and unfortunately you washed through its charges. The eyeball acts as a button that lets you reveal the map. The number of times you can do it relates to what the power is of the object. if no power, it's merely a necklace, go sell it!

The Amulet of Tanjee lets you talk to other animals, changing their NPC tak to something of worth. Undead Cow, Monkey in the Tavern and the Wolves will give the best information.

12. bsabiston

Huh, okay. I didn't notice any difference on the map when I pressed the icon. It just seemed like when I had the amulet on, the whole map was visible? Does it stop working at some point and then you hit the icon to start it up again? Is there any indication of how many times it works?

I did find another one, so I can hopefully use it correctly this time.

13. LavaLevel

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    Yes sir, I believe if you look at the power of the item (in inventory) it will show you how many charges it has.

It is also a 1 time thing you want to do on a map, once you reveal the map, it will always be revealed.

14. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I was wondering the same thing about the Amulet. Thanks a lot for joining the thread LavaLevel. It's nice to have the dev around to answer questions.

15. LavaLevel

Jul 6, 2012
    game developer
    Houston Texas
    RHess00:

Absolutely! I'll answer anything you guys need. questions, tips, secrets.

It's a little embarrassing seeing QuestLord 1 after playing so much of QuestLord 2 and getting it ready. :D I can't wait to show you guys that either.

16. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Looking forward to it!

17. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    :d :d :d :d :d

18. korossyl

Oct 10, 2013
    Um, those were all capitalized and were supposed to express sheer and unexpected joy.

19. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Mickey's adventures are nearing their conclusion. After finding three of four Mysterious Shards, I got stuck trying to find the fourth. There was one pesky map square I just couldn't get to. Finally, I realized I had walked right past an underground town in a gap between two rock faces. Once I got there, I started a chain of a couple of quests that led me to finish my little craft project.

Now I've been given a quest that the game has openly stated is my last. Since I've only completed 15 / 18 quests, it looks like I missed a couple. Not sure it's worth tracking them down for rewards at this point, since I'm on the razor's edge of level 10 (17 EXP short). Feels like level 10 should be enough to finish the game, if it's not outright max level like some other games I've played (Ys 1, for example).

The adventure continues as soon as my daughter wakes me up overnight...

20. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Looks like I was wrong on both counts above. Level 10 isn't max - I just hit level 11 - and I'm not sure even that will be enough to finish the game without massive luck. These minotaur-esque creatures (
    Bah-Lorn
    ) near the end of the game are genuinely frustrating. I ran across a couple of them in the course of unlocking the final dungeon and had tough, but relatively fair fights. Now, all of a sudden, they're regularly landing blows of more than 100 damage through my shield and I just can't afford the healing items to keep up with that.

I killed the first two of the three that are standing in a line guarding the final dungeon on my first try, thus leaving me with only one defeat and staring at the door to the last area. Now I'm at 7 defeats and I haven't even come close to beating the third and final guardian. Every time I try, I can't keep my shield up for more than a hit or two, and I never know if the next attack is doing 1 damage or 105 out of my max HP of 180.

I have the best equipment I've been able to find in shops - Great Sword, Steel Plated Boots of Terror, Wanterfang, Guardian Guarded Helm, Great Shield, and Steel Plate. Genuinely not sure what I'm supposed to be doing at this point, and it's really confusing that I was able to handle the first three of these monsters that I fought, and now all of a sudden I can't finish one to save my life. With the pure physical build I went for, I don't see anything different I could be doing.