The Apple Mobile Device Service has stopped working

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Ventura, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Ventura

Ventura Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to sync my first-gen Touch to iTunes for about a week now, because of this blasted error.

I'm running Vista Home Premium w/ SP2. It just started popping up a window saying it stopped working. I click either check online for a solution or close, and 5 minutes later, it pops up again. I like how the recommended "check for a solution" does nothing. GG Microsoft.

I've done everything outlined as per Apple's website here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1567. Long story short, a complete uninstall of iTunes (and Quicktime/Bonjour/Whatever), followed by a reboot and reinstall does nothing to fix the problem.

I tried using msconfig to run just the system services, and that did nothing too. Most of the time the service will stop automatically (and pop up that lovely window), other times it just says "starting" and never gets any further.

I don't typically run a virus scanner, but I thought I'd get one. Downloaded and installed both AVG and Spybot, full update, search, clean. Reboot. Problem persists. Disabling the Windows firefall did jack sh*t, too, and doing a System Restore didn't fix the problem either.

Short of buying an upgrade to Windows 7 in the hope that it will fix my problem, I have no idea how to fix this.

2. ipod touch guy

ipod touch guy Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    ipod touch to old get a new one 3gen

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    hmm I had a problem similar to this. I'm not sure what I did but I messed around with some files and discovered that itunes/quicktime hadnt been fully uninstalled. I'd say that would be the first thing to check.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Just GROW UP!

5. Ventura

Ventura Well-Known Member

What difference would that make?? If the service isn't working, it isn't working. Doesn't matter what device I would be using.

Rather annoyingly though, the service just started working again on my desktop pc. Yeah, not long after I'd set everything up on my laptop and had synched my Touch with it. Just my luck.

I couldn't tell you why it started working again though, I just uninstalled iTunes, Quicktime and everything else for the second time, and reinstalled it a second time.

Slightly off-topic, and I've been considering a 3rd gen Touch, but I'd have no use for one thus far. Anything I want to play is running fine on my current device, and it will play any video files the 3rd gen will play. I'm not about to spend the money for the sake of it.

6. dkenealy

dkenealy New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    I found a solution that worked for me

Uninstall mega key. It is an optional part of mega upload.

7. Electro

Electro New Member

Jan 29, 2012
    OMG - YOU FOUND THE CAUSE FOR:
    MobileDeviceService stopped working and was closed;
    and; Faulting application AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    Repeated errors in Vista! THANK YOU so much partner. :) On the Internet so far, you are the only one that found that interaction... took 2 hours searching to finally find that tidbit... Going to copy it to some other sites, if you don't mind.

You're tha man... :)