The Antwar Saloon

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Sheinfell, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Legendary_Slayer

Legendary_Slayer Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Happy belated birthday Jedi!

2. ThePowerofLava

ThePowerofLava Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Wow, just checked up on this thread again.

Happy (very late) Birthday, Jedi!

I haven't been playing many iOS games at all lately, as I tend to enjoy my selection of PC games right now. When I do jump on my phone, it's mostly just screwing around in terraria or beating the crap out of Trigger Fist's AI....

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #483 Nullzone, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Woot!
    Check this out, folks:
    http://bgr.com/2013/12/17/ipad-pro-release-date-specs-ibt/
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/hardware/After-iPad-Air-Apple-to-launch-iPad-Pro-Reports/articleshow/27651135.cms

Just after I upgraded to an iPad Air, and mentioned to my girlfriend "even more power and bigger screen would be nice" :p
    12.9" display, the rumors say. And with 4k resolution to boot. Also mentions quadcore. Now, hope they pump up the RAM; to, say, 4+ GB...

Correction: The articles don't say "quadcore", but "quad HD" resolution.

4. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Oh damn. Right after you bought the iPad air too. With the is being 64 bit there definitely might be 4gb+ of ram. Definitely looks like tablets are gaining in power. And 4k..Wow

5. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Ya know, EDF: IA is a good game for a bug war.
    Literally a bug war.

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Enjoo: Yeah, 4k resolution sounds awesome. Just wondering what they will use to drive that. Especially when Apple decides to go all-out insane and make a 4k Retina display :p
    Afaik none of the current PowerVR graphics cores can handle that, especially not with good effects and framerate. Heck, even highend PC cards have issues with such a high resolution.
    And really hope they increase the RAM to 4+ GB, sorely needed.
    I cannot remember exact numbers, but with antialiasing and postprocessing effects we easily talk about 2GB for a single frame. Not to mention that we will also need a much faster GPU and more memory bandwidth for it.

@saansilt: EDF:IA isn't on iOS, so that's pretty much out for me. Thanks a lot anyways for the recommendation.

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Still a bit early here, but who cares ;)
    Happy New Year to everyone! Have a great start into 2014!

Geez, already been 14 years since we celebrated 2k? Time flies...

8. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Happy new year too! Yeah I have no idea how a tablet can power 2k/4k res but we'll see.

9. Legendary_Slayer

Nov 11, 2012
    Well I finally got a new device. And I must say, Bounty Hunter: Black Dawn lives up to my expectations. Could that maybe be a game we all play?

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I did not give Black Dawn a try on release. Think I didn't like the graphics style. And, doesn't it have timers?

Anyways, I'll bite if others join in too ;)

11. Legendary_Slayer

Nov 11, 2012
    Not that I don't like it, but bounty hunter hasn't gotten any attention lately lol. I'm sure I'd play it more if anyone wants to play some online though.
    Also the only timers I saw were for a special store opening randomly that had super expensive stuff. Might be more, I haven't played enough to know.

12. Parcheesy00

Parcheesy00 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    right next to you
    i havent came on in a while :O

13. ThePowerofLava

Aug 11, 2012
    Yeah, me neither.

I must say, I'm kinda sad that we've all gone our separate ways, now that SW is pretty dead. It's been almost two and a half years since you guys found me stalking the SW thread and forced me to reveal myself :)p), and that's not counting the many months I had looked over that thread, using you guys as an invaluable guide for that game. It was really fun while it lasted, but I hope we can all find another game that we can sink our teeth into.

14. Parcheesy00

Jun 28, 2012
    right next to you
    Welcome! :D

yeah we talk about random things nowadays :p

15. Parcheesy00

Jun 28, 2012
    right next to you
    yeah im more interested in pc games now and i only use my ipad to watch youtube xD

Anyway im hoping to get fraps or dxtory to record on my laptop :D

16. ThePowerofLava

Aug 11, 2012
    #496 ThePowerofLava, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    Really? Stepping into my domain? I bid you welcome, then! What games do you usually play?

I use the NVidia ShadowPlay for any recording I do, but that's only because it's free, relatively high-quality, and I have a powerful enough GPU to support it (recently upgraded to a GTX 660).

EDIT: I really need to get to sleep now

17. Parcheesy00

Jun 28, 2012
    right next to you
    Well i play minecraft lol. Not too interested in fps games on the pc im too used to controllers.

but im curently on an i7 laptop so do you know any good pc's preferably not any parts as i dont know anyone who can build a pc.

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #498 Nullzone, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    Prebuilt Gaming PCs are expensive, look at e.g. Dell Alienware: http://m.dell.com/mt/www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r4/pd.aspx?~ck=mn&mboxDisable=1&un_jtt_v_MPLP=yes&un_jtt_redirect
    Starting at 2000$.
    And all tests I read so far revealed odd quirks, bad hardware choices, etc. In general, you don't get enough quality for the price.

I recommend you go to a small local *trustworthy* computer store. Tell them how much you are willing to spend on a gaming machine, and let them give you an offer.
    Drop the hardware list here, and wait for our feedback ;)

One thing you really should pay attention to is noise. Yes, especially gaming graphics cards can get bloody loud, say 3 sone or more. But there are well-designed ones that are comparatively silent, too.
    Don't get dual cards, e.g. nVidia SLI, just not worth it. They are still plagued by microstutters that can really ruin the fun. Get a better single card instead.
    Also, grab a SSD, or even two: A small one for the OS, a bigger one for your favorite games. And a really big normal HDD for storage, say videos or games you either rarely play or that don't need the speed boost.
    Last, invest in a good keyboard, mouse, controller, whatever. Don't get blinded by fancy blinkenlights (HAZ LED FOR GLOW IN TAH DARK!) and other gimmicks. As someone who has RSI I can say that ergonomics are far more important. A mouse should not be too heavy (that's how I actually got my RSI, from a damn good but way too heavy Logitech wireless mouse).

I have quite the link collection on (keyboard) ergonomics, and some of those also cover gaming stuff. Let me know what you need, and I should be able to dig up something good.
    You can start yourself by reading up on Cherry MX switches, and see which type suits you best on a keyboard. Knowing which Cherry you want usually narrows down your choices quite a bit already.

My own journey into ergonomics land began with this guy: http://xahlee.info/kbd/keyboarding.html
    Highly recommended, he has a lot of background information and explantions. Oh, and his essays/rants about programming and such are a real fun read, too ;)
    Found it, here are the game controllers: http://xahlee.info/kbd/mouse_index.html

Oh, and a keyboard should have a good n-key rollover (look it up :p ) . You really want to be able to press 5 or more keys at the same time, and the keyboard actually digesting the input.

19. ThePowerofLava

Aug 11, 2012
    #499 ThePowerofLava, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    Yeah Nullzone's advice is solid, Parcheesy. (However I personally don't put that much emphasis on the keyboard; I'm still using the crappy Dell one I scavenged from the university recycle bin a few years back)

Also, I have plenty of game recommendations, just name a genre and I could give you some noteworthy titles (or at least games that I own :D)

20. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Yeah can't believe we have stocked together for that long. Those keyboards are pretty expensive too. What type of key switches you like?