The Antwar Saloon

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Sheinfell, Jan 21, 2013.

1. ThePowerofLava

ThePowerofLava Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    I lag really bad in MC4 for some reason, so I don't enjoy it much anymore.

Block Fortess would be cool once it has multiplayer, but we all might have to use Undead's old Mumble channels.

2. SuperionEXE

SuperionEXE Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    I never got it :/ Order and Chaos is interesting, I played it non-stop for a while and joined a really nice guild, but I just got less interested after I began playing Guild Wars 2 and League of Legends (returning player to LoL). Back to the lounge, anyways, has anyone seen Undead? I was wanting a warm welcome but nobody except Jd, Enjoo, and Parcheesy were there to greet me.

3. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Here's here. Maybe taking a break, school work? So I assume you have a decent gaming pc?

4. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Heyhey, warm welcome back from me, too! ;)
    I don't have that much time on my hands these days, so I only hop by infrequently.

5. undead.exe

undead.exe Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Sorry, didn't realise it'd be an issue. I drop by here every so often, but if someone else is already handling the welcoming, I prefer to stick to giving out info to minimise the clutter. In either case, welcome back to you and JDualZ, though I feel the others are in a better position to welcome you given that my activity here has dropped significantly.

I could find instructions for you if you want to create your own servers. They tend to deactivate servers which haven't been used for a while (you can reactivate them, but it's probably better you have your own servers so you can periodically refresh them -- I haven't used mine in a good half a year).

6. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #366 Sheinfell, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    Going to pitch Ravemmark:Mercenaries again ;)
    They have their release build with Apple, release is scheduled for 11th July.
    R:M offers ingame textchat. And we could try using Facetime. I will ask the devs if R:M and FR can run in parallel. Would be easier than maintaining Mumble servers, but only two-way, afaik: no x-way confcalls.

Also, I can check if one of our business conf providers offers a free version for private use.
    Last, we can look for free alternatives in the iTunes Store. I'd prefer having a native solution (easy of use, and all on one platform, plus stuff like GoToMeeting is multi-platform. Sidenote: I talk like on of our product managers now, shows that stuff rubs off ;) ).

------
    UPDATE:
    Found something, lookie here:
    http://www.sabameeting.com/mar/free-web-conferencing
    Saba. Free for 1 host & 3 attendees, mobile App, 300MB storage (good for videos).

I will sign up on Monday, then we can give Facetime and Saba and try.

------
    UPDATE 2:
    I just asked in the R:M TA thread, here:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2889596&postcount=121

7. undead.exe

Jun 20, 2012
    #367 undead.exe, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    http://www.google.com/+/learnmore/hangouts/

If I'm reading correctly, "Google Hangouts" is also capable of conference video calls of up to 10 people. I can't find anything which says that they can offer non-video conference calls, but I imagine that to be a no-brainer (or otherwise, you could probably just cut the video feed to save bandwidth).

Now the only question is whether there are any strong anti-Google sentiments, with regards to that one (e.g. "they've got enough of our personal info already) ...rellllatively sure that should be free though, coming from Google. You'd need to know each others' gmail addresses, but that's a similar story with FaceTime and contact addresses.

I looked up Skype as well. I've got conflicting info on it, but it appears that while you can now join conference calls from iOS devices, you can't actually start or host one -- that'll throw a fairly big spanner into the works if someone isn't playing in front of their computer.

One other thing, though I'm guessing Sheinfell could probably explain the technical limitations much better: everyone's going to need to use the same app or system if you want to talk simultaneously. The iOS devices can only send the mic input to one app at a time, so it won't be possible to hold two calls simultaneously across two different apps (that's also the reason why Mumble seemingly stuffs up if you get a phone call while using it).

Good luck, Sheinfell, let us know how things go :)

8. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Re: Google Hangout

I don't have a Gmail address, or any Google account, and don't plan on getting one.
    Only when all else fails.

9. JDualZ

JDualZ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    #369 JDualZ, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    Returning player? Hey, you should add me :D . We should play a game together, after I return back from my vacation though. My ign is the same as TA. JDualZ :D

10. SuperionEXE

Jul 1, 2012
    You're on the NA servers? I'm on Europe West (EUW) but I can make one back on NA to play with you.

11. JDualZ

JDualZ Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Yeah NA server. What level are you in EUW server? Because it must be a pain to make a new account if your other account is a pretty high level :eek: .

12. Parcheesy00

Parcheesy00 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    right next to you
  13. Parcheesy00

Jun 28, 2012
    right next to you
    Minecraft is still as fun as ever :D

14. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    I built a boat.

15. SuperionEXE

Jul 1, 2012
    I'm only level 11-12, but I've got a relatively large champion pool so I'd rather not transfer :/

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Hey folks,
    Sheinfell here. Just to let you know I finally changed my username to Nullzone (made a new TA account).

How are things for everyone? Anyone having interesting releases on their watchlist?

And hmph, I didn't even have time to post a full list of my last book shopping, and today I am off again to buy more. Fantastic sale at an English-only bookstore here, only a few bucks per kilo. I plan to come with a truckload ;)

17. undead.exe

Jun 20, 2012
    Hey, welcome back with the new TA name :)

Haven't had anything on my watchlist for a while, but I've only really been tackling one game at a time. Currently trying an MMORPG a friend recommended called "Elemental Knights Online" -- it wouldn't have anywhere near the plot or depth of a lot of other online RPGs, but it feels like a decent start to actively playing online with other people (at least, the crowd here is certainly a much more pleasant bunch than the type you get on Star Warfare's PvP these days...)

Any updates about that hunt for a voice-conference service?

18. ThePowerofLava

ThePowerofLava Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    #378 ThePowerofLava, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    I don't know if I am supposed to answer this, but I guess I will.

Here's my list of pros/cons of popular services that I have found.

Mumble: free (if you set up and host your own server), low-latency, good quality, complicated server setup

Teamspeak: free clients, very low latency, great quality, have to rent servers

Google Hangout: free, requires google account, medium-latency, okay quality.

All of these have iOS apps, but we will probably just do it off the computers to save us some latency trouble, right?

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I didn't get around to test anything, due to lack of volunteers :(
    Well, let's see if anyone bites for next Monday...

20. Parcheesy00

Jun 28, 2012
    right next to you
    Nullzone (sheinfell), i think you would like a book called Wonder if you like sad type stories.

Also, you should try the Seekers series, you might have heard of Warriors (which is written by the same author).:D

you might also like Gary D. Schmidt's "Okay For Now" This is from the summary and I think it basically summarizes it, "Swieteck will discover the transforming power of art over disaster in a story about creativity and loss, love and recovery, and survival." the beginning might be a little dull, but as you read farther it starts to become better and better :D