The Amiga Shooter !! - NOW ON SALE - $3.99 ->$0.99

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by TorbenLarsen, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Haha, I have my Sega Battle Squadron cartridge as well. I have a Sega Nomad, which seems to have a higher clock speed than the Genesis, so playing when I play it it runs about 25% faster than it originally did. It's been a while, but I remember considering it one of the most difficult shooters that didn't have it's origins in the arcade.

2. Yeah, you are right about the music, it's pretty good in this game. And you are right about it being a hard game. Usually shmups I play as hard as level as I can, but in this game there are 4 difficulty settings and the hardest is very hard. I personally like the second level difficulty setting for now.

3. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Finally had the chance to pick this up. Thanks for the sale on your great game! :)

4. TorbenLarsen

TorbenLarsen Well-Known Member

You are welcome Anarkitty. Great to see people responding on the sale :)

5. TorbenLarsen

Cool with the catridge :) The sega version was too hard, imo. Back in those days gamers wanted it hard. Today it has been adjusted for smartphone gaming and adding a whole new easy or cadet mode :)

6. TorbenLarsen

Thanks Royce, could not have been said any better :)

7. ZroDfects

ZroDfects Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Australia - Melbourne
    Battle Squadron

This game is awesome, this has everything that the Amiga version had. Great graphics, awesome music, non-stop fun and original developers :p

The controls are smooth and doesn't miss a beat. The achievements are a nice touch that makes you want to complete along with the different choice of difficulty settings. The two player split screen is another awesome feature that 2 players play on opposite sides of the screen like a sit down cocktail arcade machine.

Good to see the good old Amiga games on current gen devices and keeping retro alive.

I have Battle Squadron on both my iPad2 and iPad3.

Great job fellas, give yourselves a big pat on the back....

Zro Dfects.

[​IMG]

8. Just curious since it is a retro game, whether you notice any difference in this game between your ipad 2&3?

9. ZroDfects

ZroDfects Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Australia - Melbourne

Hi Connector.

I can tell you that there is no difference whatsoever when playing on iPad2 or iPad3 as it plays so smoothly with no slowdown on the iPad 2 and even when playing in 2-player mode.

Also the game would be programmed to run at a certain speed anyways and having a decent processor to run it then it wouldn't have any problem which even on an iPad10 it is not going to be any different.

With the iPad3 the screen is an incy bit brighter with a hint of deeper colors but in terms of quality and playability they are 100% identical.

Thanks

Zro Dfects

10. TorbenLarsen

Hi Zro, Looks really nice the way have have both iPad 2 and iPad 3 lined up. Just shows have fun Battle Squadron can be on an iPad ;)

11. ZroDfects

ZroDfects Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Australia - Melbourne
    Hi Torben.

Yeah it does look nice on the big ipad. It is even cooler when I plug the HMDI out into my TV for an even bigger experience :p.

You have done well with the graphics department and that obviously goes without saying for the Amiga, I feel that the color pallet that you used is very arcade like.

Zro Dfects

12. TorbenLarsen

Thanx Zro :)
    Yes we got a lot more colors into the Amiga game than what was thought possible back then. Out of a standard max 32 color palette mode on the Amiga, we got over 100 colors on display and it shows impressively, imo :eek:

Just start counting the colors on screen :)

13. ZroDfects

ZroDfects Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Australia - Melbourne
    Well you know what they say ? What can the Amiga do ? What do you want it to do ? :p

Was there an actual arcade ever put on the table for Battle Squadron?, was there thoughts about doing an arcade back in the day ?

I can just picture that awesome music blasting away in the arcade somewhere.

Zro Dfects

14. TorbenLarsen

#34 TorbenLarsen, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    The Commodore Amiga Home Computer was an arcade machine too and even better, imo!! At least it was ahead of its time in many aspects also as a multimedia computer. One being hardware sprites and the possibility to create fast moving colorful objects on screen. Something Commodore most likely saw as a succes on Commodore 64 and its hardware sprites.
    Like all other hardware you need to tweak it a bit in order to get the best out of it ;)

[​IMG]

15. ZroDfects

ZroDfects Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Australia - Melbourne