Universal The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

What happens if you try this on iPhone 4? (I'm aware that it's not supported) from my understanding you can't even get it to open.

2. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    I hate this...

Why force me to use a constant internet conection to play!?
    Why Gameloft!?

Remove that sh.t! 7.7

3. jdawson227

jdawson227 New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    i bought the game because i love spidey and i liked the last one but I'm seriously considering asking for a refund. the constant need to check for an internet connection nearly breaks the game. i would say that about every third mission i complete the game gets stuck sycning with some server somewhere. framerate drops and I'm unable to move on to another mission.

the irony is that they put this in to stop cheaters and pirates and all its going to do is stop legit people from wanting to play.

4. epik5

epik5 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2013
    The internet only thing, alright! But it's only for avoiding hacks, people tried hacking to gt racing 2, asphalt 8, Simpsons tapped out, gangster Vegas and etc. But the internet only thing isn't supposed to be obligational, because if it had like multiplayer, then it can have like separate modes but just like tales of phantasia, if servers are down, you won't be able to play.

5. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    I heard it needs internet connection to play,does it true?

6. Shifaan

Shifaan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2013
    So we can swear and not get banned? THE TIME HAS COME.

7. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I got locked out last night for 30 minutes but during that time I was able to post here so it was Gameloft servers.

Why oh why do they punish paying customers who have bought the game legitimately? Considering the large amount of lag I wonder how much lag is caused by constantly checking for a connection?

There is just so much detail in this game and things like pacing up and down buildings that its a technological marvel despite lag. Every Gameloft game I've ever played which is most, they lag. Because they stress hardware graphics to hopefully sell more games. But gameplay always lags. It plays ok but the lag is noticeable. I'm using an iPad Air 128gb.

Less lag and it would be a great game but it is still quite good but not as enjoyable if it were free of lag.

8. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Ye, graphics looking rly good but the framerate drops in the 20's often enough especially in the park with all the trees (Mini Retina). I didn't expect it to be any smoother than that because GL is always struggling with this kind of bs. Why do they making games for hardware which isn't even available? Lol
    Besides that, it's cool.

9. H2OMobileGamer

Apr 9, 2014
    Help! The game would not open.after installing i click the icon and it does nothing. I'm using an iPad (3rd Gen.) IOS 7.1 i hope i didn't waste $5 on this

10. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Make sure that you're connected to the internet.

11. Zerodactyl

Zerodactyl Well-Known Member

Is it worth £2.99/$4.99?

12. H2OMobileGamer

Apr 9, 2014
    I am. Connected to WIFI and it just does nothing. Damn. What a waste of $4.99/$5

13. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    That is the same configuration as me and the game is working fine. Have you tried deleting it and downloading it again?

14. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Make sure you reboot your device after installation. That usually fixes bugs.

15. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #115 goodboyback, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    The hardware is leaps and bounds more powerful for such lame graphics,It's gameloft who don't polish their games before releasing and miss that very important stage called optimisation every time.Blame GL not the hardware.

Every gl has struggled to run at a constant 30fps on even the flagship devices,If ios had some kind of a fps meter or similar app then it would really bring the truth to light,they don't have much competition as it stands but whatever there is always comes out on top.Mf kill almost every linear gl release in terms of graphics and still run at mostly 40fps or more,Fifa 14 better graphics by mile and still runs just as smooth,Kerosene games- bladeslinger 35+fps on even low end devices qnd on android.

@GL RYAN Do gl have a testing wing or not or how do they approve the terrible framerates these games have on relatively new android and ios devices and why are other devs able to deliver better graphics and framerate on the very same devices?

16. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #116 Nekku, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    That's what I meant by saying "I didn't expected it to be any smoother cause GL...". I've to admit that 8 out of 10 GL games I own are nearly unplayable on my MiniR. It's wasted money, imo.
    I know the argument about optimisation. I'm mostly the guy who rants about this in any other thread.

I also have trouble with several server time-outs. My connection is fine though. At least GL should buy some stable servers first before making games online only.

17. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Yeah I got your point,The day we'll have some sort of an application to measure framerates for ios,that day it would be easier to prove my point.As always when I contacted them some year and a half ago to make them aware of lag spikes on N.O.V.A 3 all I got was a stupid close all applications and shutdown your device advice which is the first thing that everyone does,also remember my device was an ipad 2 relatively new back then.

18. suhail

suhail Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2014
    i defo need a refund this game connects to mu wi fi after trying 20 times, by the time the game actually works i dont even want to play. It takes the piss loading/connecting to my 3g internet anawl, no way does it make this game fun, plus i wasnt notified of this constant internet connection in app description when i bought the game, false advertising, i how do i get a refund?

19. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Gameloft, you're slowly losing possible profit and interest in the game. It shouldn't be such a hard decision whether or not to have a constant internet connection. I have an idea. You should make the game itself not require internet and do special missions or something that require internet.

20. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    I have to point out a few things, just to be fair:

- The voice acting is heaps better than the first game. Much more in character and doesn't sound like a read-through and certainly not overacted at least for Spider-Man as for NPCs they are still decent enough. Noticeable New York accent on certain NPCs.

- I don't know why you get a lifeless city, but on my iPad Air, there are heaps of traffic and people walking about and the cars are much higher res than the first game and certainly not PS1 quality as you put it. The reflection map on buildings are wonky, you get bird eye view reflection on ground level, so that's stupid. But no real-time reflection on windows is understandable since it would take heaps of processing power to calculate considering the number of windows and how many passes of reflections need to be calculated. The bump and normal mapping on buildings as well as Spidey's somewhat higher res shadow certainly give off more than enough eye candy.

- While it's true that some of the animations from the first game is reused on this one, they do make new ones and the swinging mechanics has changed a bit. Plus the cam feels more like spidey cam this time around and much more dynamic than the first. Some cutscenes are missing voiceovers and the animation looks dumb on most of them.

- I disagree with your closing remark for a simple reason, people will always try and find fault in games no matter the platform. It's almost guaranteed that when the game gets released on steam or on consoles, gamers will always point out the bad. I've played the first one way after I've finished and unlocked everything just for the sheer enjoyment of swinging through virtual New York and that pales in comparison to the experience you get from playing this one. So for that reason, I'd say that the game does worth the asking price and you're getting heaps of entertainment from it since I've played it up to the Rhino storyline and still find it enjoyable. The graphics itself sets a huge benchmark for mobile gaming and will probably be used to benchmark new hardware for the Android version as well iOS. The gameplay is not as repetitive as the first one and that's a huge bonus. You can ride helicopters, unlock achievements, find 5 different collectibles which add to the enjoyment of exploring the vast cityscape which should kill off hours of your time. The always online requirement is not exactly new and has been a part of IOS games for more than a year so it doesn't really bother me that much. The IAP is, and has been pointed out by others over and over again, not necessary to complete the game, so that's a plus point in my book.

Again, to be fair, this game is worth $5. Buy the PC/console version and you'll likely be disappointed by some aspects of it and that would cost you heaps more that $5. So as someone who is likely going to buy the Steam version once it's out, this one certainly pays for itself for the sheer enjoyment you get (by "you", I mean people who love Spider-Man) from swinging in the huge city whilst on a transport and/or lunch break and while you wait till the movie and the PC game come out.

Peace.