Universal The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 18, 2014.

1. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012

Gameloft couldn't have written it better themselves. The review sounds too good to be true and it probably is but each to his own.

What about the story? Is there one (no spoilers please) or is it just a bunch of missions endlessly strung together?
    Currencies and IAP? Paywalls? Is it possible for not so good players (like myself) to hit paywalls where I might have a lot of difficulty advancing unless I paid real cash? Is there a pay to win element.

I'm interested but no criticisms not even about needing an internet connection is puzzling as how would one start the game if they weren't online? One cannot continue a game they cannot start so that's a strange accolade given when its such a sore point with many who want to play the game but can't be online at work to play it or just don't want to risk it downloading a few hundred mbs and costing them a fortune in data costs. Going over one's data quata can cost hundreds of $$ so no-one wants to risk it. That's why people steer clear. I use wifi at home but I would never turn on my 3 g/4g for gaming because I don't have a data plan and it would cost me heaps if it started downloading stuff.

Your review put a great spin on the game and I hope its true because I love Spider-Man and I'll probably still go and buy it like the fool that I am. Probably immediately after typing this. Geez I'm so gullible to good reviews.

2. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #42 goodboyback, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Here's my review of the game on a 5s.

Story: More story than the previous one but still paper thin The voice acting is just as terrible as the first one.Overall this is not a story heavy game.

Graphics:
    The good: Spiderman looks decent and animates very well both in and outside of combat.The draw distance is decent.The resolution is good.

The bad: The city looks lifeless,No weather effects or anything,still no reflections on buildings,Everything looks the same except as if it's running on a different comic book filter which hides low poly structures.
    The streets are still empty with mostly 2-3 cars and npc's around,Cars look ps1 quality tin box poly models.
    Enemies still have terrible animations,Seems as if they are using the same old animations from previous games.

Gameplay: the combat is MUCH better than the first but still not up to the mark,you can mostly mash your way out of it but atleast there are a few new animations added here.
    The swinging is quite outdated it's exactly the same as the previous game which is VERY lazy since it's been a long time since the previous game.

Overall: It just feels like a small update to the first game rather than a new game altogether.The improvements here are just cosmetic and squander the huge potential the game had.It's not worth the 5$ it asks for especially considering the always online requirement and the iap's are a huge slap to ios gaming community as a whole,GL should be ashamed of themselves.
    It far worse than the terrible vita version which should give you an idea.

3/10 - don't buy it.

3. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    What are you meant to do to save random people falling from buildings? I've encountered a few of them, and I try tapping the blue circle surrounding them but I fail every time.

4. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I'm a bit worried/curious about the "game may contain third-party advertisements that may redirect you to third-party sites". I'm hoping that this is an error, and not showing that this May have ads at some point.

5. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Honestly, how different can this be from every other Spider-Man movie-tie-in piece of fluff out there?

It sure would be nice if Gameloft ever made an original IP.

6. nate247

nate247 Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Male
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    #46 nate247, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Removed

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I keep reading that companies are supposedly moving toward a model where all their games will be constantly online... But here are some of my games that are on my phone that don't require a constant connection:

FIFA 13, FIFA 14, FMH 2014, FMH 2013, RBI 14, New Star Soccer, iOOTP 2014, FFT, FF3, FF6, Chaos Rings 2, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Fantasy, Knights of Pen & Paper, Infinity Blade 3, SMRPG, PAA3, Cthulhu Saves the World, Oceanhorn, Superbrothers S&S, Mage Gauntlet, 24, Deus Ex, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Republique, BS5, Alien Breed, RE, Sherlock The Network, Hound of the Baskervilles, Sonic 2, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, Bumpy Road, Star Command, Star Wars Trench Run, SW Hoth, SW Pit Droids, Lego Star Wars, Star Wars Pinball 2, KOTOR, Angry Birds SW 1&2, Out There, Hitman Go...

Just to name a few of the games on my phone without a need for a constant connection. And most of those companies don't seem to be going toward an online model for all their games.

So, honestly, this online thing is only causing a few lazy pirates to not find a way around it... AND a lot of us honest customers to not download it at all.

But, from other reviews it sounds like buying the first one will give you pretty much the same experience minus a few Overpriced suits.

8. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #48 Rip73, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    I don't exactly know what you're looking for or what you are trying to imply.
    All I can do is relate my experience in the game up to the two hour point. I haven't finished it, I don't know all the answers.

In relation to iap, the first part of my post covers it even to the extent that I purchased the two extra iap costumes to see what they are like and have gone back to the standard one and am more focused on the skill tree than any cosmetic differences.
    As to paywall or pay to win element for less skilled players, I dunno, I wouldn't know, how would I know. I'm only skilled at my own level, I dunno if that's even a good or bad skill level, but again if you read part of the post you will see that question answered relative to myself and for myself, I would say earning is perfectly fine and not a paywall or consideration of iap at the two hour level.
    I see no need whatsoever for iap in my playthrough so far.
    As to the iap costumes, I already said in the other post that they offer no significant advantage other than cosmetic and in my opinion are not worth getting.
    I believe the skill tree will be more important to those interested in play over cosmetics and as things stand I'm earning plenty to upgrade plenty. Not too fast and not too slow for my personal tastes. If I had unlocked everything already, I'd already be bored and would see it as pointless so the progression seems appropriate to me as I still have plenty to unlock despite unlocking a lot of combos already.
    Simply doing missions will earn the required currency to get what you need.

Story, well its a series of missions with a story thread running through them. Is the story any good, I dunno, it's not story heavy and I haven't come close to finishing it so I wouldn't know if the overall story is any good or not.
    Not sure I'm bothered one way or another as I see it as an action game anyway. It has a storyline running through it but its no Dickens or Nolan Batman.
    Beyond that there is a campaign, there is story elements to link the missions but no it's not life changing or mind altering. It's just an effective continuity tool to link the action scenes together.

As to your point on internet only connection, it is of absolutely zero consequence to me one way or another so I've no comment to make on it in any shape or form because it quite simply is nothing I will ever notice or be concerned about and is simply not a factor.
    Half the games on my device require internet for one thing or another and I've yet to hit a point where I can't connect.
    And as all my data access points are high speed unlimited, be it cellular or FTTD, again not a factor for me and nothing for me to criticise so would be sycophantic and pandering to do so.

All of your questions were really answered in the first post that you were replying to, or at least I thought they were, but either way, I'm pretty this clarifies it more.
    I didn't really think I put a great spin on the game and I'm pretty sure Gameloft could have written it much better. All I was doing was relating that after two hours play, I was enjoying the game and pointing out the aspects that were contributing to that enjoyment.
    I'm sure plenty of others will point out what they don't like about it so perhaps waiting for a larger pool of impressions or reviews would be best.
    The general consensus seems pretty positive overall and when Sanuku says he is enjoying a game, I tend to take that as pretty much golden anyway and don't need to hear anymore personally in the majority of cases. So I'd appear not to be in the minority in this one.

9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    ^ This.

10. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Nice review Rip. I was on the fence at first, but you sold me on it. Picking it up now.

11. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Oh, jeez,now I'm really feeling the pressure.
    :)
    I did a second post which I hope has more detail on certain points but overall I am enjoying it a lot more than I expected to.
    I was somewhat on the fence about it myself as Total Mayhem is one of my all time favourites and the last one didn't live up to my expectations to be honest.
    But solely from a personal perspective, I'm very content with this one and much happier with it.
    I suppose its worth noting its only ever about the enjoyment factor for me on any game I leave impressions on and that won't be the same for everybody.

12. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Does it play well on an iPad 3?

13. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I'm playing on an iPad 3 and looks and plays just fine.

14. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    The game could do with some more variation in the random side missions. Taking people to the hospital and signing autographs gets a bit repetitive after the 50th time. :) I'm enjoying the game a lot more than the previous one though.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

To be fair, that's an improvement over the 0 seconds it takes to strip the iTunes DRM wrapper.

16. goodboyback

goodboyback Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I don't agree,2 secs is still nothing.If they would have introduced an iap unlock system similar to say jetcar stunts it could have been a very valid solution to piracy.Hurting customers because of pirates is the last thing they should have done.

17. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I've seen iPhone 4s gameplay and it's actually really decent. There's no lag whatsoever. Can someone with an iPhone 4 do an impression, I want to see how it looks. I do expect extreme lag although.

18. Gameloft_Ryan

Gameloft_Ryan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Community Manager
    San Francisco
    This shouldn't have happened. I've talked to the appropriate people to make sure both the AppStore and Google Play Store descriptions reflect this requirement.

It's a different story, not a direct clone of the movie script. The team consulted with Fred Van Lente (he's kind of a Spidey big deal) to write the story.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This isn't exclusive to Gameloft, but rather the general vibe of most developers I talk to. There's three options right now to release a video game and attempt to not have everyone steal it:

-Just say screw it and build a server-centric free to play game.
    -Load it up with ads, make it free, hope pirates don't go to the trouble of blocking your ads.
    -Include some kind of phone-home DRM to make stealing it slightly more difficult than just stripping the DRM and uploading the .ipa to your pirate repository of choice.

What choice do you prefer?

20. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I mean, it might work on the iPhone 4 (unlike the iPod Touch 4 it does at least run iOS 7, so you should be able to install the game), but...