iPad The 99 cent game you wish you had...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by fairlady, Jan 2, 2009.

1. fairlady

fairlady Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Owner: Fairlady Media
    Raleigh, NC
    Hi, all,

After releasing our first game with some success, we're at the drawing board for our next one. I thought I'd post a note here to see if any of you have thoughts about what kinds of games are needed in the 99 cent market (sorry, we don't yet have the resources to do a 3D virtual world game in the 10 dollar range!). A few thoughts:

1. Quality remakes of arcade games?
    2. Games that mimic real-life games? (e.g. ping pong)
    3. Original games in traditional formats? (e.g. mario-like games)
    4. Original games that use the new device features? (e.g. monkey ball)
    5. Games for your kids?
    6. Other?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated; thanks for your time.

fairlady
    http://www.fairladymedia.com
    http://www.whackemall.com

2. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA

An addictive physics game, sort of like trace, where you have to get to a goal with limited resources (not lines, like crayon physics, more of a puzzle type game?). Almost like a cross between crayon physics, trace, and a puzzle game, would be really cool IMO (Of course that would be more than a 99 cent game)

PS: Thank you for saying "99 cent". I hate when people say ".99 cent". Just like you're, your, their, they're, there, etc, we should know this people!! you can't have 99/100 of a penny!!!

3. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Well, in the $.99 range, I would have to say something similar to what is already out there, but add some sort of something different. I'd say take the Tiki Towers idea and build on it. Otherwise, a nice 2D platformer would be nice. But make it utilize the new device features, multitouch, and all that. I'd be happy to beta test whatever you decide upon.

4. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    A platformer (Simple, just an A, B, and dpad) reminiscent of mario would also be awesome. If you have seen the NES emulator for jailbreak, you should use controls like that. If you haven't, go on youtube and find a video of it.

PS: this is a good idea (Asking ppl what THEY want)

Edit/ i would also beta test :)

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I personally prefer games which you can enjoy for hours. There are too many gimmicky pickup-and-trash games on AppStore right now.

What I'm curious about is how can you make something like Super Monkey Ball or Mario Bros with $0.99 sale price in mind? I thought devs were crying the price standard is too low to create games with good production value?

6. LinXitoW

LinXitoW Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Take a look at:
    Battleships Forever
    Freecol

Generally speaking, the Ipod Touch is missing strategy games that arent trunbased and depend on pure luck(eg [app]Strategery[/app]).
    The only good RTS is [app]Galcon[/app], although that is rather shallow.

Id betatest and even localize ur game(german) if id come to like it.

7. brewstermax

Those are examples. And the controls that are specific to the platform, like SMB. They don't plan to make something that great, but examples [app]Bounce On[/app], which is very inexpensive, yet is great and Mario like.

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Personally, the $0.99 realm is flooded with puzzlers, so more of those aren't needed. And a simple platformer is possible (look at PapiJump, which has a semi cult following). But there is pretty stiff competition there now.

9. fairlady

fairlady Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Owner: Fairlady Media
    Raleigh, NC
    You're right that it would be hard to make a game that is equivalent to either of those games in the 99 cent price range; the question is more about game format/features. Has the "2D world with levels" concept been over-done? Should new games should use new device features like the built-in accelerometer to give gamers a new gaming experience?

I do think that you can create a high-quality (and addictive) game in the 99 cent market. For awhile I was completely addicted to a silly game called Candy Cruncher on my old Palm...

10. TheGhostRider

TheGhostRider Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I've never played Battleships Forever, but after looking what it's about, I'm going to try it.

Another game I would gladly pay $10 or more, it would be Stars!(or a clone). That is my most played PC game ever. It is a turn-based strategy game in which you explore the universe, colonize worlds, build ships for defense or wage war against the AI or another players. Follow the link to know more about it.

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    If by '2d world with levels' you mean side-scrolling platformers, then the answer is no. There's no good platformers yet for the iPhone. The closest I can think of are Hamster House, Trace, Ricky Rocketson. I know some guys would scream 'Toy Bot' and 'Bounce On', but for me they're not traditional platformers.

On the contrary, the accelerometer control has been experimented to death now. It's similar to DS games in its first few months. All games want to use its touch screen capability just for the sake of it without really thinking of a good concept.

12. brewstermax

Well, 2D platformer is great. I would love a great one, and it definately doesn't need to be $.99

13. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I'd love to see a good, retro game similar to the old Colecovision Cosmic Avenger, with the old-style graphics!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pk0hqiVRIc
    There are just way too many "match three," tower defense, puzzle games, and games with no replayibility....

14. Lombardo

Lombardo Well-Known Member

15. teagan1000000

teagan1000000 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
  16. DukeofAnkh

DukeofAnkh Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Melbourne
    I think a nice platform specific platformer like Toy Bot Diaries or Bounce On would be good. There aren't really enough of those around. So long as you don't have on-screen buttons, it's all good. (Like Bob's dream, those buttons, while working well enough, do rather detract from the appearance of the game.)

You could have a control scheme like tilt left/right to go left/right, tap on the right side of the screen to jump, tap on the left side of the screen to shoot. Then if needed, tap near the top to climb up, tap near the bottom to duck/climb down. Nice and unobtrusive. I'd probably pay $2.49 AU ($1.99 US) for a game that did that nicely.

17. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    The platformers you mentioned arent even priced as such and you want you're preferred platformer controls for just $2? it doesnt make sense.

18. mek

mek Well-Known Member

hmm...for 99 cents
    i would like a sniper game

a 2d, layered design, so it has depth but not necessarily 3d
    your given a target
    you have to select your location, from a 2d map,
    the location will alter such factors like wind, angle, and visibility

take your time, swipe gently to move the scope, set the dials to offset the wind and focus...then pull the trigger
    if you miss, your target will either try to escape, or if they are a high rolling style target like a mafia boss, depending on your location you chose, you might get shot at

but for 99 cents, i would just be happy with the scope part of the game, and you can leave out the top down map location setting

19. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Make a mario style game. There is one called "bobs Dream" (Don't have the link) but it is kind of poorly done. But the basics are there, try the lite version and you will see what I mean.

20. firstprime

firstprime Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    president of awesome town!
    wexford, ireland
    i would love to see a fighting game, like classic street fighter on the iphone, i haven't seen many like this and with simple graphics and d pad = A,B button control this could be great!:D