iPad That Ain't It! Trivia Game (New Update) + Lite

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by M of IMAK, May 31, 2009.

1. M of IMAK

M of IMAK Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    #1 M of IMAK, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
    For the trivia buffs out there looking for a challenge, the latest update of That Ain't It! Trivia Game just made it onto the App Store. This update includes 111 new questions (for a total of 999) in 8 different categories. There is a Game Show mode (10 questions, lifelines, try to win a million) and a Speed Trivia mode (that must be unlocked). The question format is unique.

There are a few demo videos on YouTube and you can find it on the iTunes store here or just browse the Trivia section in Games. It should be in the top 25. Today it is on sale at $1.99. Tomorrow, the price will increase and a limo will begin flying across the main screen to announce our 1000th Question Contest.

If you would like to review That Ain't It! and post a review on your blog, here, or on iTunes, please send me a PM and I will get you a promo code.

For completeness, here are some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ipodfan15

Ipodfan15 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Neither Belgium nor the US have English as their official language.

3. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    i sent a pm

4. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    You have to click all countries that do have English as their official language ;)

And huh? :confused: If the US doesn't have English as its official language what language do they have?

5. DonD_GT

DonD_GT Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
  6. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  7. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
  8. DonD_GT

May 12, 2009
    That Ain't It! has you spin the wheel to determine the category of your next question. When the question is presented to you, you have 4 choices in front of you -- 3 match the question, one 'ain't it'. The questions are rated into difficulty levels, but I didn't find the questions to really correlate accordingly. I thought all of the questions were on the hard side, but not frustratingly so. Some questions you feel like you should know, but don't (for example 'Which of these men signed the Declaration of Independance'). For reference, I'm a college graduate with a professional degree.

The graphics are clean and attractive and most importantly, easy to read. There are no graphic puzzles or questions, they are all word questions and word answers. I consider that a good thing.

Suggestions:
    I would have liked to see the 'Speed Trivia' section open a bit quicker. You need to reach $250k career earnings to open that up. I'm averaging $2k per round.

There is a little summary screen when you finish your round with your total career earnings, times played, and last round score. I would like to be able to access that screen at other times (I was looking for it on the 'Scores' tab). On the Scores tab, I would like to see my name at the bottom of the screen with my ranking without having to scroll through the hundreds of names on the listing to find it.

This game is a winner. It is the kind of game you can pick up and play for just a minute, but once you finish a round, you play it again. And again. It is also the kind of game I can see a couple of people huddling around the iPod playing together.

Highly recommended. 5 stars.

9. Ipodfan15

Feb 4, 2009
    PM sent, this game looks awesome!

10. Ipodfan15

Feb 4, 2009
    Well only one answer is supposed to be the wrong one, and this question has two that "ain't it."

11. I can agree that this is one of the better trivia games I've played. The format is easy to wrap your head around -- pick the answer that doesn't belong. The visuals are clean and professional with tasteful styling, and everything is easy to pick out and read. The music gets repetative and annoying if left on throughout the game, but that can be turned off in the settings.

The questions can be tough -- but I like that, actually. They're intelligent and well-considered, on the order of Trivial Pursuit-calibre, with some dipping into the Genius Edition level. (For example, "Facts about carbon" would require the knowledge that it doesn't form strong covalent bonds.) There's a good variety of topics and questions that range all over the map within each one.

To make things a bit easier though, there are four Millionaire-style lifelines (no, no phone-a-friend) that can help you get by. There's not a lot of ceremony to have to wait through between questions either, so it's really easy to pick up and play. As trivia games go, this is one of the most polished and carefully considered that I've come across yet.

12. DonD_GT

May 12, 2009
    It took 15 rounds to open Speed Trivia, helped by a huge $200k round.

I love that after each round you can upload your career total and see your ranking. I look to see how many spots I can jump if I score $5000, or $8000 (what'd I'd now consider my average now -- the lifelines help quite a bit, especially if you can get a couple of correct answers in a row).

13. M of IMAK

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    Ipodfan15,

You are absolutely correct! How embarrassing :eek:

I replaced the screenshot above and the app store will also be updated. We wrote all of the questions, so we have no one to blame but ourselves. That screenshot has been on the App Store for over a month and you are the first person to notice the error. Great job! You have just made our 'preferred reviewers list'. Thanks!

14. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    So far I'm really enjoying this game. It's a notch above most of the other trivia games in the store. I like the concept of spinning the wheel before a question to have the topic chosen. The developer really took his time to add in some little features to go along with the gameplay which makes the game even more fun to play. Many of the trivia questions are hard but interesting at the same time. Well done

15. M of IMAK

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I'd say we took some time on it. (Have you noticed yet that you can control the speed of the wheel by holding it down longer?) The concept for That Ain't It! was born last summer. We designed and coded an initial version last year. It had gambling and different lifelines. The game play didn't work well, though, so we redesigned it over Christmas and then spent about 3 months coding and testing. We also wrote all of the questions ourselves. Because of the unique format, we couldn't have purchased questions like these even if we wanted to.

Speaking of the unique question format, this seems as good a place as any to mention the 1000th question contest we are having in June. If we select your submitted question as our 1000th question, you win a $50 iTunes gift card. Details are front and center on our website, or you can tap the flying limo on the main screen of That Ain't It!

16. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I didnt notice the wheel had that kind of sensitivity to it, Ill try what you said out. I really like how you added other features to the game and changed the formatting of question and answer to keep it from being just another trivia game.

17. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Thanks for the promo code, here (at last!!) is my promised review:

I've never really been into quiz games but That Ain't It spiked my interest and sounded pretty fun, and it is. The concept for the game is unique and means that this isn't your general boring quiz game. Instead I actually find That Ain't It pretty fun, which as I said is surprising since I don't usually like quiz games.

That Ain't It is not only extremely fun but has great looking graphics which have a quiz show/celebrity feel to them. They suit the game well and really show off how polished this game is. The spin wheel is also a great addition and brings more user interaction into the game.

The questions themselves are in 8 different categories ranging from Science to Media and the difficulties range from extremely easy (Integers: 5, 6, 13, 0.5) to extremely hard. The 4 different lifelines also help a lot (Double Time, Divide and Conquer, New Category and New Question) and if you use them strategically as you play the game you can get some pretty highscores but unfortunately I'm terrible at quizzes so my highscore is around $10,000.

Once you get $250,000 you unlock speed trivia which is a great extra mode that gives you 2 minutes to answer as many questions as possible and is quick, frantic fun! Online highscores and 999 questions also give this game a lot of replay value and competition!

Overall That Ain't It! is a unique quiz game that is surprisingly fun and well worth $1.99!

On a side note I live in the UK (but have a US iTunes Account) and it gives my winnings in £, but the game isn't available in the UK App Store...

18. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    After having played this game for over a week, my recommendation comes very easily. While I won't post a long-winded review, as it's not necessary, I'll post my initial and current thoughts.

Initially, it seemed extremely easy (with the tutorial question, and first two questions I recieved). By the 5th, I was already tempted to use my life lines, and by the last, I was clueless. The step-up difficulty between questions is flawless, and there are a good range of topics (even though some seem similar). The speed trivia game mode (which unlocks after enough play in the regular mode) was also excellent, and a nice variant to the other gameplay.

With 999 questions and two game-modes, you can't go wrong. And in terms of iPhone trivia games, this is probably my favorite.

I do, however, feel like some more ways to customize the gameplay would be nice. For example, being able to play more than 10-question rounds in the regular gameplay, or having a free-play mode where you just get asked random questions with no timer or lifelines (although this could be used to "memorize" the answers, but enough gameplay will do that anyway). Recommendations aside, I have nothing to complain about - it's an excellent buy for the price, and one of the more unique trivia games available.

19. Seiker

Seiker Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    This game has really grown on me...

Full disclosure in that this game was a promo gift and like the many I've received...I was compelled to write a review (below)...

However, unlike many games I've been given in exchange for a review, this one has really grown on me over time. What really works about this game is that it's a great fast-paced trivia game with broad appeal in it's many varied questions and categories. It's great as a single player game but lay it on a table where 2-3 people can huddle around and collectively play and the fun is exponential. I put this on the table while waiting for dinner to arrive today for my wife and daughter and they absolutely loved it. Each game only takes maybe 5-8 minutes and mind melding with others while trying to deduce the answer is great fun. Highly recommended.

(Review From iTunes)
    Great Trivia Game (5 Stars)
    This is a very polished take on a trivia gameshow where you basically select the answer which doesn't fit the question (which one ain't it) from four possible answers. You spin the wheel for categories and are given 30 seconds to answer. It has "Millionaire" assists you can play once during each round too like "New Question - Same Category", "Take Away 2 Incorrect Answers", "Choose New Category", and "Add 30 seconds". The gameplay is fast and perfect for quick breaks. The questions are varied and seem to have ample volume (been playing quite a few games and haven't seen duplicates yet). I haven't unlocked the Speed Mode yet but assume this adds bonuses for quick answers. Overall, a very well designed game that is sure to delight trivia fans, it's polished, stable, and most importantly, fun to play.

Everything I wrote still holds true today but as I said earlier, I've even grown more fond of this game over time and it has great appeal for casual gamers of all ages...