Text Based Mobile Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Avert, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Avert

Avert Member

Nov 11, 2014
    www.avertstudios.com
    Australia
    I am thinking about taking a popular browser type text based game and releasing it as a mobile game, but I'm not sure how this will pan out as that genre is long past it's expiry date.

The plan is to incorporate more images into the game than a usual text based game; say showing an animation for movement over a background image. But when interacting with other people in the game, or fighting, it will be selecting an action and the results appearing as text. I'm a bit unsure how this idea will go on the mobile market, but I have seen some pretty successful card games on mobile.

The idea is still just a seed, so I'm being pretty vague, but just wanting to know what you guys think before I spend more time developing the idea :)

2. Tosty

Tosty Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    I like the idea of text-based games... I think it's a great and easy way to incorporate multiplayer capability with limited resources. I was thinking of an idea for something similar to what you are doing, text/animated game combination. 2 things stopped me from starting the project right away. 1st - needed more in-depth idea of how the game development and logic would work (rpg text-based game, turn-based game, etc)... and the 2nd thing was that I am currently in the process of creating a dungeon game which takes most of my free time at the moment.

Also, tricky part is how you are going to make it work on mobile devices. What platform were you going to make yours on? If you are interested maybe we can bounce some ideas off each other.

3. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    A Dark Room by Amirali Rajan
    https://appsto.re/us/1qo6R.i

This is a game that gets you immersed quickly, very well done. It needs to have something that makes it stand out, a great GUI definitely would help. But story and game mechanics as well.

4. Avert

Avert Member

Nov 11, 2014
    www.avertstudios.com
    Australia
    @Tosty
    The plan is to make it turn based for the battling, which is where we will be using mostly text, with representative pictures (sort of like neopets, probably more minimal though).
    The rpg side will be animated, with your character running around on a map, kind of orthographic. Not sure what you mean by which platform, but we normally produce for Android and universal iOS devices?

It's probably going to use a lot of databasing, but I was personally thinking it wouldn't work out as a mobile game, with so much diversity in games available! Definitely up for some chatting though - I'll have to get the programmer on here to talk to you :)

@Woodrith
    Good to see it can work and people pay for it too! Our idea was a bit more animation than A Dark Room, but I'm glad text based isn't a deal breaker for the mobile world!

5. Aden Apps

Aden Apps Active Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I think it's a great idea, actually. If anything, it will set you apart in a new niche, and who knows? You may build quite a strong following from that. Please let us know when it's built and released so that we can try it out!