Testing app on device?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WellSpentYouth, Mar 16, 2009.

1. grid

grid Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    iPhone Game Dev
    Minneapolis, MN
    I got this error when I went through this process for the first time too.

I don't know if this was the problem, but the last thing I did before I got it all to work for me was to install the "WWDR intermediate certificate". I found this by basically just clicking through the program portal (after spending about an hour just repeatedly uninstalling and re-installing all my certificates, because that was the only other advice I could find on this particular message). At the bottom of the certificates page, it says " *If you do not have the WWDR intermediate certificate installed, click here to download now. " Click on that, and I think it has you download the certificate, which I believe you double click to install.

If you've already got the WWDR certificate installed, I have no idea, sorry!

Good luck!

2. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Thank you! I will try that!

3. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    WellSpentYouth, give this another shot to run on your device... seems like you already set up a developer profile....

use Device - Debug when you Build and Go... but before building... go to project, edit active target etc... select Debug as your configuration at the top... then scroll down to code signing, as gillygize said... and select any iphone device on the left, and your development profile on the right...

4. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Yup, I did all of that, but there is the chance I messed up (wait, if I didn't mess up I wouldn't post this thread :p ) Let me try again tomorrow. Thanks for the continued help!!

5. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA

Ok, so my latest problem is this. I connect my device and it doesn't show in organizer, it says it is disconnected. I checked the device id and serial number with the ones on iTunes and they are the same. iTunes says the device is connected, any advice :p

6. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    restart your device while it's connected to your computer.

7. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I restarted xcode and it works, but the thing still displays this error. Just as a side, what does the certificate do? I don't type anything into it and the only time i reference it is in the provisioning file. Thank you!

8. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    I think the provisioning profile is the only thing it is needed for.... I'm not sure exactly what it does... :p

So, it doesn't say disconnected anymore?

9. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Nope, it says connected, but I can't get it to run on the device :(

Attached Files:

10. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    ok, in organizer... on the left side... how many provisioning profiles do you have?

11. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    3, one for the app store, one for device, and one piece of r#8398@)(#) that won't delete :)

12. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    ok... looking at the image you posted... seems like the problem is multiple development profiles with the same name... you might have to delete the duplicate one...

find and run the application "KeyChain Access.app"

make sure you have the login keychain selected on the left...

now I'm guessing you have 2 or more profiles entitled "iPhone Developer: Robert Stewart"... delete the extra ones... so that you have only one profile entitled "iPhone Developer: Robert Stewart"

13. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I love you! You love me! We are a happy family!! IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so very much!!! I know that was unneccesary, but whatever. :) Thank you!

14. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    :D You're welcome! So you got it running on your device? hehe... :)

15. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Yes, it runs on my device! My newest game (stick escape) crashes like my sister who just learned to drive :p

16. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    One quick question (a dumb one, I forgot :( the answer), if you synthesize something (@synthesize picture;), you have to release and dealloc it at the end of the view, correct?

17. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    here's the rule I follow... if you ever use 'alloc', 'retain' or 'copy'... then you need a corresponding 'release'...

if in your header file (for example call it View.h) you had...

@property (nonatomic, retain) UIImage picture;

there's a retain there... so in your View.m file... in the -(void)dealloc method, you'd need a corresponding [picture release];

18. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Great! Thanks!