Universal Test Chamber - Mind-bending Puzzles (by M LE KRUPA & T.J LEE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 9, 2015.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Ta. I've managed it in 8, 11, 13 and 19 so far.

2. ThumbSnail

ThumbSnail Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    #22 ThumbSnail, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
    Finished the game. Tons of fun! If you liked the first 15 puzzles, you'll really like the next 13 if you upgrade to the full version.

To those trying to find the most optimal solutions, here's a list of what I ended up with. (I might not have them all, but I think I got a lot):
    1-5: Gold
    6: Special
    7: Gold
    8-9: Special
    10: Gold
    11-13: Special
    14: Gold
    15: Bronze
    16-17: Special
    18: Gold
    19-21: Special
    22: Gold
    23-24: Special
    25: Gold
    26-28: Special

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I definitely don't have any higher medals than you. Still can't solve level 28 and I haven't got gold yet on a number of the dark levels.

4. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Wow, gotta add that these are some of the best puzzles I've seen. Loving this game. Now stuck on level 21. #

5. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Test Chamber - Mind-bending Puzzles was successfully nominated for Touch Arcade Forums' Game of the Week!
    You can vote by clicking here.
    Please Note: Developers, publishers and/or affiliates cannot vote for their own games!​

6. PureRumble

PureRumble Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Special awards are given when you solve a level with fewer steps than the game developers have managed to do. Meaning when you manage to beat what they believed was the optimal solution. That is my guess.

Such awards/achievements have been used in other puzzle games too.

Hence, it is not known on what levels u can obtain the award

7. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    I'm late to the game, but it is brilliant! It's so easy to miss such good games :( but I'm glad TA pointed it out. The first level is confusing (some character told me I cannot do something LOL), but I got quickly the hang of it. Some people might need a tutorial though (like the 1star AppStore reviewer who got stuck on the fourth level, pathetic and funny at the same time :D). The "wrap around" design is awesome. For me sometimes it could show clearer; the wrap borders are a bit too much at the bottom and at the top at times, but it could be that I just started playing! No biggie I think.

8. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    For when (not if, I'm confident it's just a matter of time ;)) the devs show up here, here is an idea for a leaderboard: each level gives 5 points for a bronze finish, 10 for silver, 15 for gold and in case of a special award, add the steps that were saved relative to "gold par". Or simply give 1000 points minus the number of steps for each level. Something like that. Now can we have that competition, please? :D

9. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Rat Fishing comes to my nostalgic mind. You got gold when you solved the puzzle with "optimal" use of cheese, but if you were really clever and used less cheese you got one better, diamond, which was actually not advertised at all by the game, kind of a hidden feature, and also not known where and how many diamonds you could get.

In case of TC too, it is designed into the game as a bonus for us clever ones. The devs knew that sometimes a better than gold solution is possible. Also, it is sometimes impossible to know (calculate) what really is the optimal solution, even for the devs. And, it can be really hard and frustrating for most players to even get the "so far known optimal" solution. Heck, gold already is hard enough!

10. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Thumbsnail, I managed to get special on level 6, 9.
    Great game, loving it so far!
    A quick bit of trivia: this game is a huge revamp of an old game (also called Test Chamber) made by the same people. The original game was a minimalist 2d game which contained the looping mechanics, the block mechanics, and the 'pull rail' mechanics as well as lasers! This game has now been pulled from the app store and replaced with this one, which is a huuuuuuuge improvement over the original!

11. ThumbSnail

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    @TheGreatEscaper- Nice! I had missed those two solutions. I went back and replayed them and also got specials on level 6 and level 9.

12. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Can't wait for the level editor

13. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Ok I'm late to the game. Can someone pm me the solution for Lvl 6? Thanks in advance

14. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    #34 saosijs, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
    The trick here is to start with
    green as a "bridge" (with a hole) between the exit island and the main island.
    . When pieces lock and when not is not always so clear.

Level 15 Bronze must be a bug. I saw a youtube video where 12 steps gave gold :confused:

15. InkyTheGhost

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Can someone help me with level 21? I've been stuck on it for weeks!

16. ThumbSnail

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    #36 ThumbSnail, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
    @InkyTheGhost: Not sure how much help you're looking for, so I'll start out generally and then get very specific.

You're going to make a bridge around the forcefield.
    Concerning the red blocks that are attached together by a pole: that pole can actually pass through walls
    3. Warning! This one is pretty much the answer:
    The order of the bridge will be: green block, red block, blue block, red block

17. InkyTheGhost

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    Yeah, I can get the green and red in place. But no idea what to do with the purple one.

18. ThumbSnail

Jan 13, 2015
    One-Man Game Developer
    Under a Raincloud
    @InkyTheGhost: Oh, then you're almost there. You'll have to push the purple block onto the red block and then come from the side while standing on the green block. This way, you can push the purple block into the gap between the two red blocks and complete the full bridge.

(You may have to change how you start at the beginning so that you don't trap the purple block on an edge.)

19. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    So is Chamber / Level 15 bugged as stated by previous posters? I don't see how the level can be solved in fewer steps to get gold. :confused:

20. InkyTheGhost

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    ThumbSnail...finally got it. I don't feel very good about myself.