Universal Teslagrad (by Playdigious)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Nov 7, 2018.

1. leokamiya

leokamiya Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2017
    What?! Where did you read this? O.O

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #22 Pitta, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    I don’t want to derail the thread because Teslagrad is worthy of the most possible attention, but some weeks ago there was (removed as soon as the news spread) a Playdigious published Dead Cells (screenshots and all) page in Google Play. I even checked if links were working (like to other legit published games) and they were.
    Just google it.
    It’s probably too early so they removed everything (but I do hope it’s true).
    They are probably hating me for having reminded ‘the accident’, but I love them :p

Sorta back on topic....
    Despite people saying some games are impossible on touch controls I disagree. I could complete and fully enjoy games like Aquaria or Elysian tail just to name two great Metroidvanias. So it’s just a matter of good and responsive controls.

Like in this game imho.

leokamiya likes this.
  3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    A sleepless night later I’m here to confirm my first impressions.

Glorious port of an awesome game.

Finally a proper Metroidvania I can immerse myself tucked in bed with headphones....it’s quite an experience.
    The world is huge and really well....painted.
    I love how they tell you the story...from the wall paintings to the theatres to...well I already said enough.
    It’s also quite challenging but so far never frustrating.
    Some rooms are puzzles you have to solve (using the magnets clever mechanic), some are strict tight platforming, some are both.
    Must be also said that dying has no consequences, as you are brought right on the last starting spot in no time.
    It’s a game you will repeat some parts till you figure out the puzzle or master those platforms.
    I have yet to understand what those weird pills like things are, but it was pretty great to finally be able to get some. Something happens too (is that a map on the up right corner? An ancient painting?).
    Also, the game keeps adding to the initial mechanic, while they tell you what happened to this weird world.

I’m so sleepy right now but I can’t wait to go home and play more.

Well done Playdigious/Rain!

Oh btw...the game has it all.
    Localization, iCloud seamless support, controllers support (didn’t try it tough, I’m fine with the touch controls).
    It’s also super easy on the battery, which is always welcome.
    And it’s really a threat for the eyes and the ears.
    Graphics really pops out on a oled screen with all this blacks and sudden colors.

Great stuff.
    So far I highly recommend the game.

leokamiya likes this.
  4. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Oops, Dead Cells? I didn't know they were the same team. I love this game on my ps4.

I am going to support those guys and buy Teslagrad in this very instant.

Thanks!

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Silly me not to understand it but in case you wonder....

When you collect those pills like items you unlock parts of a big ‘story parchement’ that you can see in the map screen (and apparently a different ending too).
    Tap the huge right arrow.
    Now the trick is....the first ones you unlock are AT THE BOTTOM and you don’t see them in your phone....you have to manually scroll down.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sent you a PM

7. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    #27 nyanpass, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    My god some puzzles and platforming are mind bending.
    And the world is really damn huge.

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just completed the game.
    Took me a bit more than 9 hours, played mostly on iPhone X (and some bits on iPad Air, iCloud rules, seamless awesome implementation...all games should be like this).

Glorious Metroidvania.

Some parts were crazy hard but super rewarding, loved every second of it.
    Sad I completed it (I’ll try to see the extended ending) but finally I can sleep again.

Never thought possible they could pull it off with the controls. Game is hard as nails but the controls are perfect.

Kudos to the devs and who made the port, it’s basically perfect.
    Another highlight that many devs forget is that the game is insanely optimized, barely makes a dent in battery usage and on iPhone X is always buttery smooth.
    Congrats to whoever made the port...looking forward your next ports (wink wink).

It’s not for the faint of heart, but if you are up for a serious challenge I highly recommend it.

Too bad high quality Metroidvanias are so few on the platform, I love playing them on iPhone (if this quality).

For the dev, if you read this.

Congrats (of course) and thanks for the great game.
    There is a very minor problem at the end.
    If you start a new game right after the ending credits, the full hud (with all powers) remains on screen during the intro (goes away when you actually start to control the kid).

10. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    How I can use teleport? :v

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Double jump button.
    It changes the little icon after the first jump so you can zip away.

lilneo likes this.
  12. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    Oh, I got it! Thank you!

13. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not sure how this works on modern devices but for anyone that doesn’t have it, it’s currently 99p