Universal Terraria - (by 505 Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    I've been playing this on my 4th generation iPod touch, and I have to say it runs very smoothly. I'm enjoying this almost as much as the pc version, however the issue is the controls. They take some getting used to, but never quite work perfectly. I don't think this is a huge hindrance on the game though. I've been able to build just fine, so I'm not quite sure what everyone is talking about. I can't say against Junk Jack X as I haven't picked it up yet, however I can say I'm already enjoying it much more than the original Junk Jack.

2. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    I don't think they are consciously targeting a younger audience, but I know a bunch of kids who play these games like I used to play with LEGO when I was their age. I can see how this might be too much like work if you're looking for something lighter to relax after your actual work.

That said, many can be played as survival RPGs or adventures and Terraria and JJX are no exception. Terraria maybe more than JJX, since it focuses less on building and more on exploration and fighting bosses and such. On the other hand I'm not sure it's the more relaxing one out of these two.

3. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    No IAP for Terraria ?

4. QuantumThermos

Mar 26, 2011
    I disagree, I'm 42 and have spent countless hours in minecraft. I have turned my nephews on to the game and feel that the crafting games are limited by what you put into them -exploring and learning the recipes.

This is also true of terriaria. I really enjoyed the PC version and while it didn't pull me in like minecraft, it did suck a good 25 hours out of my life.

Granted finding time can be an issue and maybe that subtracts from your enjoyment, but I like having sandbox games where you can do what you want without specific goals.

An example which I think would work well in this situation: the game X3 - have you tried that?

it certainly is not designed to be a game for younger people but instead follows the older formula of the "explore - build - colonize - control" games. Probably the first 30-40 hours you learn how to trade and explore.

as you can tell I do not think these games are designed with a specific age in mind - I think they are designed with a certain type of player - I'm guessing you aren't playing many mmorpg's either due tot he time requirements.

5. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Not quite as old as you (30) but I do agree that I find Minecraft boring - I just don't see it as a 'game' more of an 'experience'. Gonna give Terraria a shot though as a few people have mentioned RPG type elements in.

6. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I'm 42 and I find Minecraft fascinating. With an imagination and a basic understanding of redstone incredible devices can be created. If anyone needs inspiration for MC watch Etho's youTube channel.

Enjoying this and JJ so far. My only problem is deciding which to play first !

7. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Thanks all for the replies . I intended my post to be more of a question than a statement ( since English is not my native language, I might have phrased it the wrong way) I did get some interesting answers..it does seem to be more what kind of a player you are than an age issue. The time restraints I have probably makes me a casual gamer , looking for games that are easy to pick up and do not need a lot of time to get " into it" . It is correct that I do not play mmorpgs etc .. The time I spent playing games is probably an hour a day or less. So maybe the crafting genre just needs some more time investment to make them enjoyable..

8. darkkronos

darkkronos Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I'm 34 and Terraria was my first in the "crafting" genre. I spent weeks exploring every nook and cranny, crafting everything I could so I could attempt the bosses. Once I had done that I built a huge tower with automated defences. With games like this the only limit is your patience and imagination. These days minecraft takes up most of my spare time with the FTB mod pack.

9. hla77

hla77 Member

Nov 20, 2011
    The controls are terrible!

10. Louis Ace

Louis Ace Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Google Play release?

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    No offense to people with different tastes, but I find it fascinating that people old enough to have played with Lego don't immediately love Minecraft for its basic concept alone. What person above the age of 25 didn't want unlimited Lego as a child?!

12. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

So after playing a bit, I definitely agree that the controls need to re-worked for smaller screens or at least have zoom out function. Building is very difficulty and inaccurate on a small screen.

And since this a 2D game, I really would have preferred a form of left/right buttons over the current joystick.

But besides those, I'm really enjoying the game. Definitely worth the 4.99 and some control tweaks/additions will go a long way.

13. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Game Impressions

I tried to play for a while on my iPhone, it was really frustrating. Will see on my iPad if it's worth it, but if you're playing on a small screen, I advise to stay away till some quirks are corrected.

14. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Oh, and I'm 21 and yes I love Minecraft, not for the building or mulitplayer but for the exploration. It's so rewarding to gear up and set off on a journey into an unexplored direction and stumbling upon amazing views and awesome landscapes.

15. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    :) the fact that I am old enough to have played with Lego does mean that Lego was my favorite pastime hence having unlimited Lego was not a childhood dream/ fantasy of mine.

16. Anyone have a weird problem in the tutorial?

At the beginning everything goes well until you have to craft the 5 benches after chipping for some minerals. I craft the 5, but the tutorial won't continue, so I don't know how to get out of the hole...

Help?

17. Ç

As long I played, no :)

18. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I love rpg/exploration type games (Mage Gauntlet being my favorite). Have never played this before but loving the style. I'm a little overwhelmed so could someone give a little insight/some tips on what I should be doing first? I'm sure I will start to figure it out but just don't know where to begin as there is so much.

19. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Yeah but I'm not a child anymore - therefore I don't want unlimited lego now!

20. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Your never too old to want unlimited Legos!