Universal Terraria - (by 505 Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Aug 29, 2013.

1. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Youre probably talking about the announcement articles that they have up

2. Roberga

Roberga New Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Mexico
    Is this like the console version?

3. MarqueeK

MarqueeK Member

Oct 25, 2012
    I really have no choice when JJX is released in the Japanese App Store and Terraria isn't.
    In terms of timing, we basically get stuff at the same time as NZ so this is getting worrisome for me.
    If Terraria purposefully left Japan out, that's an awful move as Junk Jack will now become synonymous with 2D Sandbox gaming in this country.

4. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    #104 biokid, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    I think you should search for the developer's name instead. Hope that helps :)

Edit: I try to find it, but it is not there at all. You should try email the dev who ported the game. (Maybe there is a licensing issue in Japan)

5. MarqueeK

MarqueeK Member

Oct 25, 2012
    #105 MarqueeK, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    I always try to either link to the app or look for the developer for brand new stuff (JJX doesn't show up when you search for the title either)
    Also, after doing some research it looks like this is a licensing issue as the console version was released via a third-party developer only here in Japan.

Edit: Sources in Japan saying that Japanese release of Terraria for iOS is tomorrow. Good.

6. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Thanks Choco! Was stuck in which one to buy, since I never got into MC. I prefer the RPG elements to building. Thanks again!

7. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    No problem! :D

I'm finding myself falling in love with Terraria all over again. Just digging deep into the underrealms, finding hidden chests with awesome loot, and getting plain lost is astoundingly fun.

One complaint I have so far with the game is the method of unequipping items. You can't just click the item and click "Unequip", but have to drag it from the equipment tab to the inventory tab, and then drop it into a slot. Unlike the rest of the controls, this is extremely counterintuitive.

8. MarqueeK

MarqueeK Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Question regarding Terraria game play in general.
    Do the enemies and bosses in this game interact with the environment?
    For example can you protect yourself by hiding inside a building and can the enemy try to break through?

9. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Does anyone know if this has all the items/mobs/features from the pc version? Or is it just a watered down version?

10. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    Most enemies in the game will pursue you almost indefinitely until you either run out of their biome (ie. underground to surface) or wall yourself in (ie. go into a house). Most normal enemies can't break through walls, while some enemies (including bosses) can pass through them altogether and other enemies can teleport.

I'm up to the silver tier of items and afaik this is the full game.

11. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up!

12. CHEESEYZOMBIE

CHEESEYZOMBIE Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    This terraria has all the features from pc except 1.2 and hardmode, right?

13. Ne0ndrag0n

Ne0ndrag0n Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    So how much loot is there?

14. boorch

boorch Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    happydoze.com
    been a terraria player on PC since the release, i was hyped abbout an ios version, instabought it after the release, sadly it IMPOSSIBLE to build something proper. and for some reason you can never place a block above you. don't expect too much from the game.

15. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    I'm having no big trouble with that... but I will say that this is still an overall terrible experience on my iPhone 4S. Performance is great but the UI just doesn't fit. I spent minutes trying to scroll the choices in character creation. During actual gameplay the screen feels massively cramped. I keep moving my finger out of the joystick areas and accidentally destroying or building things, and the little magnifying glass that pops up actually doesn't fit on screen if you build or mine anywhere in the upper half. Even building a simple shelter can be a bit of a chore because of that.

On iPad though, the UI works well enough. Obvious things like the joysticks being larger, but it's also much easier to scroll the choices in character creation and I see no good reason why that doesn't work on my iPhone. The option to use a ten slot hotbar on iPad (not present on iPhone) is also a gamechanger. From my PC experience with this game I would actually have hoped for more than ten, but it's not impossible to play with ten.

The iPad also benefits from pinch zooming a lot more. You can zoom in on both, but on the iPhone I'd much rather zoom out just to see more of the environment. The basic shelter the tutorial has you build fills half the screen, meanwhile everything is still pixelated.

The final nail for playing this on iPhone for me is that it doesn't support cloud saves.

16. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    No Hardmode on launch is a bit of a copout, I guess JJX will be taking up my free time instead.

17. MarqueeK

MarqueeK Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Has anyone been to the edge of the map? How is ther world size compared to the other versions?
    I'm asking on behalf of a non-English speaking player

18. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I am an older gamer (42) and the whole crafting game wave has gone past me , I know minecraft because my kids play it, are all the crafting games like junk jack and terraria targeted at a younger gaming audience ( and by younger I do not mean kids younger than 10 , but more 20 and younger) ?

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I have only played Terraria, and I am below twenty myself haha, but I feel as if Terraria is less kid targeted. But I suggest you look at the junk jack x forum so you can have both opinions.

20. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    I am 44 and have to agree with you. I have tried them all (Minecraft, Survivalcraft, Junk Jack, Blockheads, etc). I open them up after the initial download, explore for a while, break a few bricks, craft some basic tools and then lose the will to live :) I thought it was just me. I just can't seem to get into these games at all. They seem like too much hard work and I play games to get away from work :)