Universal Terraria - (by 505 Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Aug 29, 2013.

1. endekks

endekks Member

May 4, 2012
    Grrrr… Not out in Japan store, and we usually get things an hour after NZ. I know this is a "simultaneous" launch, which makes me wonder if the game is going to go through some publisher BS for Japan.

2. Fabraz

Fabraz Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Game Designer
    New York
    I only played it for the last 10 minutes, but I've got 90 hours logged into the PC version & another 10 in the Xbox one.

Expect to play the game slower, the pacing is different due to the controls without a doubt. Doesn't mean it's a bad port.
    It starts off bad, with the character creation screen being so cluttered that you constantly miss tap buttons but in-game they added lots of small changes that help out with the touch controls.

For example, placing/destroying blocks: For one you can pinch to zoom. Secondly, if you hold down your finger, it'll overlay a grid for you WITH a circle zoomed into what you're aiming at. Very helpful, works neatly.

The menu's are overall a breeze, no complaints there either.

In short: The controls have been translated well but it does impact the speed of the gameplay. You have less items at your disposal from the item bar, you have to take your time placing/destroying blocks, you have to zoom in more often etc.

Still, I can see myself wasting a good amount of time on it (again!) during bus trips. :)

3. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    Gone through the tutorial just to familiarize myself with the controls. Left joystick controls all movements, including jumps and ducks. Right joystick controls the use of the currently equipped tool; just drag the stick in a direction and the tool will chop/mine/etc in that direction. You can also just tap the block that you want to chop/mine/etc which I find to be my preferred option because of its precision. Great zoom functions are included as well to help with precise block placement. Menus are generally simple and intuitive, and I can safely say that this controls about as well as you can imagine Terraria be controlled on a touchscreen device.

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    This game seems very similar to Deep World on iOS. Maybe a bit deeper? :confused:

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    There's also an auto jump if you try to walk into a low enough wall. Confused me for a few seconds, I thought the left stick was being ridiculously sensitive to vertical movement, then I remembered the devs mentioning it.

6. rammywts

rammywts Member

Aug 18, 2011
    It's not supposed to be compatible based on what the developer says but I just downloaded it and it runs fine so far...

7. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Wow and Junk Jack X is out! :cool:

8. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    iPhone 5 performance is spectacular, controls are spot on, and I did the turtorial and it is amazing so far

9. MarqueeK

MarqueeK Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Not in the Japanese App Store.
    I'll be pretty disappointed if they leave Japan out.

10. Louis Ace

Louis Ace Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Multiplayer?

11. ooooh

ooooh Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    UK
    Live in UK App Store :)

12. darkkronos

darkkronos Member

Sep 29, 2012
    For those that are wondering, it runs smooth on iPhone 4.

13. uplaynation

uplaynation Member

Nov 21, 2011
  14. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Nope :(

Good lord in heaven, this is possibly the best App Store launch.

JJX AND Terraria?

Yeah, goodbye world, hello endles hand pain from these damn games.

I don't see iCloud support on Terraria, which is sad. I'll test more. It's awesome though. Each are very different and perfect in their own way.

It's like Christmas in August.

15. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    @fabraz

there is an option to have the 10 slots or 5. five is clicked by default.

16. Fabraz

Fabraz Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Game Designer
    New York
    Oh, neato! As I said, I was basing this on a first impression. Though I'm sure 5 is on by default because the screen real estate will shrink significantly if there are 5 more buttons.

17. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

And downloaded.

Junk Jack sounds cool, but this is more of an RPG and even has a permadeath option

18. So does this live up to the hype?

19. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I never really played any of the minecrafty games before, and im lookin to start.

So... The million dollar question... Terraria or Junk Jack X?

20. biokid

biokid Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Wop Wops
    I probably going to get Terraria, since Junk Jack X is $4.99 and the original one is only $2.99. No offense to the dev and fans, but they need to justify the increase in the price of their sequel.