Universal Terra Battle (by Mistwalker Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    No I'm not thinking it should be strictly a puzzle, I've played many RPG-puzzle hybrids. Generally the long-term appeal relies on a solid balance between the necessity for strategic play and the power creep that inevitably comes from leveling. As this game has the additionally element of freemium style unit collecting, it also needs to be aware of the power discrepancy between different rarities. Otherwise, rather than an RPG with a puzzle-based combat system, that game simply devolves into powering through stages with higher strength units.

I didn't like the core gameplay of Terra Battle enough to invest in it long-term and see how it holds up, but my early impression, simply looking at the difference between my B rarity and my C rarity units seems to suggest the power creep may become a problem. B rank not only has overall better stats, but also looking at the future unlockable abilities, there a huge gap between the power levels. Thus it strikes me that with good draws and grinding levels, what strategic play there seems to be initially, may quickly be outdone.

2. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    I noticed a person if they wished to could drop $60 on 100 energy bolts and sail through the game in one sitting........just kidding a game like this should be savoured for at least a week:D

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Well I agree with the concerns. Haven't played enough yet and obviously battles COULD cost even more energy to limit your play. So far they are all 5 energy so I hope they stay that way. Max stamina also increases with each chapter beaten (but could be a sign of energy costs increasing).

However the best level I've played by far is the boss to Chapter 2. Some may find it hard (I did!) but it took a lot of thinking and planning to win. I only have 1 B character and the rest are C and D. The boss has a high HP count and swaps weapons to attack vertically and horizontally. Basically, you need to remember which weapon attacks in what blocks and move accordingly. The enemy attacks every turn so I lost a unit that had to be sacrificed but all in all, it felt great moving pieces around until he finally succumbed to my strategy. I had to dodge a lot, and no "auto spam attack" involved. If any other people have played this boss, please do share your comments :)

4. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Yes I had to fight that boss two times but it was satisfying when I was starting to learn a strategy to defeat it but ask me to do it again I'd probably not know what I'm doing. Level one of chapter three I tried once and lost and it's getting tougher for sure.......guess I better pull the wallet out, just kidding

5. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Only just starting this, but really getting in to it. Once you start chaining attacks together and figuring out how to move multiple units around at once, combined with maximizing your RPS, this might be the one card battler I will really get in to.

6. bolony

bolony Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    I lost my healer during the first fight of chapter 3 and thought the round was going to be a waste of stamina. I ended up squeaking out a victory though without the healer. Remember that you can hit all enemies in a line as long as you flank on either end. Positioned with a power rune, you can clear the entire board :D.

Oh, loving this game btw. It's kind of like Puzzle and Dragons but much more relaxing (don't think that's the right word, but whatever). Music is done by famous composers from Japan. I get a FF vibe listening to it.

7. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Yes that 1st level on chapter 3 was my first loss. Grinded a bit and then learned how to effectively move pieces together multiple times. Game is even deeper than I thought! I feel attached to my characters as you don't get a massive amount of cards like other games which gear you towards combining and transforming cards. I like this better as I feel they're stable party members. Even my D dragon thing that I'm going to replace.

My tip is that the healer is not essential but is probably the MOST useful unit in your party. The heal amount is random but it can be the difference between winning and losing. Love her.

8. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Too early to say yet, but this might be the first game in this sub-genre other than Battle Camp that makes it more than a month or so on my device. So good to see another skill based iteration that doesn't just successfully modify and add to the P&D paradigm, but actually changes the puzzle mechanics without dumbing down the game.

9. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the tips! Will give it another go

10. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Anyone try the challenges yet? They're crazy HARD. They're not requirements so that's good but the metal guys give you EXP (but you pay a hefty 1k to enter - I spent all my money without realizing it) if you need to fast level but they always run away. Then the harder challenge has monsters running to an energy point and once they reach there, their attack and HP buffs. Not only do the enemies keep spawning but you get nothing if they don't drop items. This one doesn't cost money which is good but is extremely difficult. You have to survive 3 areas with 10 enemies or so per area that rush to the power up point.

Anyhow, I'm still addicted to this game. The story is intriguing though my opinion on it is still up in the air. Gameplay is stellar. I could see it being easier if this was a paid game.

11. Sequence

Sequence Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    I tried the Metal Zone. Pretty fun. You really have to plan out your unit positions to maximize the chain attacks to take out those little metal guys before they flee. There's this one enemy that moves at the same time you move your tiles so you have to block him in with you own units to flank him.

I'm almost broke now, because I completely ignored the 1000 gold a pop entry fee. But it was crazy exp.

But when the full launch comes around they'll probably award Metal Tickets so you don't have to pay gold to enter. Unless it's a rare drop that we can get now, not sure. (There's a "Special" button in the Arena Menu where you can enter special areas like the Metal Zone and lists the item required as "Metal Ticket x1")

12. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Well the awesome thing about metal zone is they don't fight back. However after realizing it's 1k, I don't think I'll do it again. Burned 2k and that took probably 2 hours or 3 to get :\

The other zone is free but it's waaay harder and they fight back. That one took a lot of brain power just to survive. I thought I'd die after playing that for 15 minutes.

I also don't have any stones to upgrade my job class despite me having so many job upgrade items (I must have 20). Not sure how this works and the help section is pretty bland. Also it seems only the named characters can swap jobs.

13. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Yes when I played the metal zone I wasn't paying close enough attention and there went the coins! And I feel when you lose a fight in the regular battles it says " you have four" bolts so foolishly I pressed okay and there went the bolts. I'm mad because I was hoping to get one more so I could recruit a rare character.....oh well lots of fun

14. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah duuude that bolt... urghhh... I hope they'll give us another for the 3rd day log in? I want a rare character as well but I'm curious who it could be. The art in the game is fabulous. I do like how even the D rank characters can still be leveled up to be stronger. Even getting the +% activation increase is cool (but rare). I only got it increased once on the main girl but it's difficult to activate because she pretty much has to be ambushed to use it and it's only 30%.

Anyhow, maybe we'll get another bolt later today :)

15. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Lol! You know what they say leave them wanting more( bolts)

16. terrabyte

terrabyte Active Member

Sep 11, 2014
    iOS Dev
    Pilipinas
    #36 terrabyte, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

Just got my 8th character from Chapter 4. I just discovered that you can get random character drops from grinding battles in Chapter 3 and Chapter 4. I was able to get the Beastfolk Mage and Beastfolk Warrior from Chapter 3 and White Sabertooth from Chapter 4. Bought the Spinetrich for 7,000 and the rest were acquired from completing Chapters 1 and 2.

I'm really digging this game :)

17. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

#37 strivemind, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Oh man I haven't gotten any character drops yet. The only new one is a class D Arachnobot I got for 8k gold. It's tough not having a full team.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Just got a C class Beastfolk Archer while grinding Chapter 3. And to answer below, I started with Grace too.

18. teasel

teasel New Member

Sep 11, 2014
    i've been playing this since yesterday, so far i got to chapter 8 and have recruited 15 units,including 3 B units and 1 A unit got with bolts

do note that after clearing chapter 4, you get another B rank unit

oh also i wanted to ask but are there player that didn't start with grace the archer? if you didn't can you tell me what character you got instead and their skills?

19. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Damn how'd you get the 3rd b rank unit. I only have the lead character… need more :(

20. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Doesn't it seem a little suspect that both terrabyte and teasel both joined TA forum this September and both have a total of one post each and both are excelling in this game way beyond us. If I'm wrong my hats off to the both of ya