Universal Terminal Velocity™ (By Trebuchet Entertainment LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 5, 2015.

1. pauldavidmerritt

pauldavidmerritt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    Ultrasound reporting systems
    East Rutherford NJ
    I understand your woes. Maybe they can fix compatibility with 4s. How's the health of your iPhone? Is it possible your compatibility issue is localized on your specific phone? I work on healthcare clinic software, I've seen it all...

2. pauldavidmerritt

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    East Rutherford NJ
    Good to know. Jumping in now, thanks for the imps. I hear some devices/iOS installs are having issues. My 5s is healthy, I'm sure I'll not have issues.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #23 drelbs, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    Haha, I'm gonna find my CD and load it under iDOS2! :p

It's a really fun game hampered by simplistic physics. (Which made multiplayer dull - basically close and then circle each other until you get bored...)

EDIT: Aaaand... Here it is!

[​IMG]

Yee Haw! :D

Gonna have to pick this up after I've got more credit.

4. pauldavidmerritt

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    East Rutherford NJ
    Okay. Touch controls aren't bad at all. The only caveat is no control sensitivity option for the virtual joystick. Need that. I want to turn like a champ. Other than that, it's a super-awesome nostalgic release. Glad I got it on iPhone 5s before Apple/Dev's take it down.

5. Stormourner

Stormourner Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    in the past I wanted Terminal Velocity on iOS devices and my wish has been granted, aw my heart is crying happily =')

6. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #26 VirtualBoyFreak, Jun 5, 2015
    I think it has to do with the 4S's low specs. Mine is JB on iOS 7.1.2, but health is perfectly fine. No Winterboard customizations nor anything memory-intensive. Intensive games run just fine: ShadowGun, Geometry Wars 3, Edge of Oblivion, GTA: SA, Chinatown Wars, Space Marshall, Rogue Star, etc. They all run just fine and smooth (GTA: SA is the least smooth of all, and it's perfectly playable). Even Carmageddon, another port more or less from the same year, is perfect.

I hope the update the game to fix 4S's compatibility a bit. I still have to try it on my iPad3 to see if it performs better on that one, but as it is and seeing the posts around, I don't recommend it at all to 4S owners, only 5+...

What do you mean by take it down? It's not available any more? EDIT: It's unavailable, not even in my purchase history!!! I hope it's just a temporary removal to fix all the issues... EDIT 2: Now it's there. I don't understand.

7. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Front page mentioned this game now runs at 60fps. What was the original? I was too young to remember back then as I was mostly blown away to care too much about fps. And how has the graphics been cleaned up from the original, if any.

8. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Wondering why the steam version is so much more expensive.. 40 dollars I believe..

9. gatchaman73

gatchaman73 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oh So Shiny - founder : chief pixel officer
    Texas
    I think i still have this game on one of my old macs. I either played it on my Quadra 660a/v or my 9600/300... I'm sure the 4s has way more power than those old machines. Fond memories for Terminal Velocity for sure! I guess that dates me.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Reinstalled and seems to play better. I'll give it a second try, although I think it could be better optimized. Not the best port... Not the worst either.

11. stolenlogic

stolenlogic Active Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Ah shit. I love 3D Realms shit. Gonna have to get this after I sell my body for a few bucks.

12. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #32 VirtualBoyFreak, Jun 5, 2015
    I find onscreen controls unresponsive. I'll try on my iPad3 to see if it gets better now. Will post imps on iPad3 ASAP.

EDIT: okay, on iPad3 it works as it should: 100% responsive touch input and smooth gfx. It's also JB on iOS 7.1.2, so I guess it has to do with the RAM specs. Therefore, I'd say minimum requirements: iPhone 5/iPad 3. Anything below that won't work well. On the 4S the game is smooth as silk, but touch controls are unresponsive and "sticky". 4 stars for the port itself played on iPad 3.

13. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #33 Qwertz555, Jun 5, 2015
    Only out of curiosity i bought this game. I simply wanted to know what some of you guys did back in '95.
    I watched EP's video, read in Wikipedia about this game and i got exactly what i expected.

The controls work fine and responsive (imho) on my 5s, and i guess the gameplay seems to be 1:1 to the original. A big too slow for me and too pixelated, and some enemies can't be seen sometimes. But this is how this game works and was programmed.

On the right side you have five buttons. Though you see them, you will mostly not get distracted by them. You can change the Y-axis and the music/sfx loudness. A bit more work and thoughts and they could have gone with no (big) joystick, simply touch the left side of the screen to steer. A bit more work and they could have made a highscore game with GC as well. Just to give it a bit of a new paint and a replay ability.

I already deleted it after the first mission and recommend this only to the young/old nostalgic people.

Edit: it's mentioned alteady, but there is no screen orientation, home button on the right on my 5s.

14. pauldavidmerritt

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    East Rutherford NJ
    Anything could happen--particularly to awesome nostalgic releases like this. Download it, install it, back it up and save the .IPA out of your iTunes media folder. Please lol.

15. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    It's $40 on steam because you are getting an anthology of 30 3d realms and others games. You aren't buying just terminal velocity.

Billy

16. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Lol'd, after playing the first episode and seeing the screen attached, I remembered... This game was shareware!! Episode 1 was free and when you registered the game, you got access to episodes 2 and 3 :D well, I guess that after 20 years, I had to stop playing it and register the game :D

Attached Files:

17. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Me too! I've been trying to make it work in iDOS 2 but the controls are always a pooch.
    The native iOS port is WAY better, and definitely worth three dollars. I always liked this game, especially the music.
    A better place to buy the big version is GOG.com, where it's $6 every day but goes on sale a lot. It's fun on a big chunky screen with a big clunky joystick!

18. MaGCoL

MaGCoL Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Chief Creative Officer & Co-founder of Kaamos Game
    Oulu, Finland
    Cool! I remember playing this on my Powerbook 1400cs and the graphics were stunning!

19. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yeah, I'm of the latter. I was 17 back in '95, and this was a great game for that time. Now it's sub-standard, but I still enjoy the freedom of flight you have, along with trying to find all the tunnels of each level. Microsoft's Fury3 was, IMHO, a clone of Terminal Velocity, but it needed a much better computer than a 486DX2 to run.

20. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Agreed on all three counts! :D

Just had to do it since I had my disc handy.