Universal Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin (By Microsoft Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Hen14, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Yeah, I definitely will agree that it is pretty unique and that the game is well suited to ios. I am finding that if I do a lot of quick taps it is better than few longer taps, so that is making me better and the game more enjoyable.

I think this is a good start for Microsoft, interested to see what comes next from them.

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Check ilomilo Connector, that and then Tentacle would be my two favourites, ilomilo probably more so but Tentacle wins on control schemes.

I double dipped and bought this on iOS for my ipad as well, weird playing a shorter aspect but nice to have the bigger screen. 3d renders nicely on the new ipad but (understandably) 2d UI can be a bit blurry in places, but nowhere as bad as the Kinectimals overly compressed, blurry and desaturated iOS port.

3. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Yes, you definitely are! Put down that shovel! Geeze, so glad I haven't run into this attitude on this site prior to this, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered posting here! Newsflash: woman are doctors, scientists, surgeons and programmers these days, and see a lot worse that anything in this game (or Nova 3), and do a lot harder things successfully than the challenges presented in this game (or Nova 3 or any other video game). Try to get out of your cave once in a while! :p :rolleyes:

I see the 148Apps reviewer thought the game too difficult after level 10. My impression is that only bothers those people who are used to getting 3 stars at the same time, for a level. Like Bad Piggies, this is a game where acquiring different stars sometimes requires a different approach with multiple plays. It definitely does get harder (more precise timing and touch required at higher levels), but so far it's not that much different that I expected, just a bit less variety (and so, more repetitive in play).

4. Sakayu

Sakayu Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Kudos to Microsoft for publishing a good game and and even more surprising game release.

5. Me Caveman, Me like warm cave, making fire, eating buffalo and bison. But me strong, me like strong cavewomen with strong hips, me no good with people, so sit in cave, but like ipad, it fun, me thinks. But no, me no own shovel, but I do favor, I put down ipad, and think. But thinking so hard, fall asleep. :p

6. Foiden

Foiden Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Definitely a good start for Microsoft. This is a unique and generally good game. I would recommend this one. This is one of those rare games, that isn't a puzzle, a strategy game, nor an RTS/Tower Defense game, that was definitely made for touchscreen more than any other control setup. A case in which a failure is my own bad. Can't blame the controls. The atmosphere is also well executed, even in the camera movements.

7. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    LOL!! Glad you're enjoying the game too. No hard feelings, just try to engage brain first next time. :D

8. fehaar

fehaar Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Game Developer
    Copenhagen
    Depending on sales, we will be looking into adding more IAP. Not promising anything concrete, but I can say that we we don't feel we are done with Tentacles, Lemmy and Dr. Phluff.

9. fehaar

fehaar Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Game Developer
    Copenhagen
    Depending on your platform, you might experience some small issues when tapping in the bottom 10% of the screen. This is due to the "swipe to pause" feature that we love because it keeps the screen free of buttons. We have worked hard on removing false positives and keeping the screen responsive, but it is not as responsive as the rest of the screen.

10. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Has anyone tried the expansion levels? Do they introduce any new mechanics to the game?

11. fehaar

fehaar Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Game Developer
    Copenhagen
    We love us some updates. :) We are working feverishly on a real iPhone 5 update to give people the full screen experience.

12. Have you ever thought about a 3 finger tap to pause?

13. It would be cool to me if you could implement a two finger tap for a smart bomb with radius in this game, just an idea. Or some kind of emergency teleport like some space shooter games.

14. fehaar

fehaar Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Game Developer
    Copenhagen
    These are good ideas. If we end up doing another IAP we will surely need a new mechanic as well. Might be we will lend some of these ideas.

Regarding three finger pause it could be an idea. We did the edge swipe because that is what people will get used to with Windows 8. There just isn't the same hardware support for making it work on iOS.

15. Lance_TA

Lance_TA Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Fantastic title here, enjoying it very much :cool:

16. Thanks, for answering, I think some of those mechanics would make the game even more enjoyable, I hope Microsoft and you all make some more great ios games. If you guys ever need beta testers too let me know.

Take care.

17. chaoticool

chaoticool Member

Jul 2, 2010
    I am highly enjoying this game, not much on the app store like it. Fluid controls, enough challenge, and completely weird - but in a good way.

18. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I was just playing thinking why the lower screen felt unresponsive sometimes (iPhone 5). That would probably explain it. The issue isn't horrible, but a three finger tap as suggested might be nice.

Either way I really enjoy this game. I don't like most platformers on a touch screen, but this gets around that by removing the jumping. Plus adds creepy music for good measure.

19. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Update news?

20. fehaar

fehaar Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Game Developer
    Copenhagen
    Waiting for QA & Apple. It is on its way.