Universal Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin (By Microsoft Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Hen14, Oct 3, 2012.

1. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Yeah, if you wanna 3-star the levels, you can't just spam your way through in most cases.

As an aside, it's always refreshing to have another game that successfully caters to the interface, rather the shoehorn in virtual controls. This is an easy game to get into for sure.

2. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    There's no pause in the game? Or directly restart?

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Dude, it's right there on every single loading screen. :p Swipe from bottom to top to pause.

4. RodmanSan

RodmanSan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Project Management Architect
    E-Troid, the Netherlands
    I was pleasantly surprised by this game....and was instantly sold after watching some gameplay movie.

Terrific original game....and looks splendid on the iPad 3...:)

5. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Oh, thanks man! ;)

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, no probs. :)

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This game really surprised me. Really, really well done and well designed from what ive seen so far (4th mission). In some ways it reminds me of Perfect Cell, where the controls felt natural to the touchscreen, and the gameplay in some aspects too.

8. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I love the atmosphere of this game; the sound effects are particularly great. I am enjoying the game play quite a bit as well. It only took me playing a couple of levels to buy the extra level set. I am finding the game to be quite challenging, but replaying the levels is fun.

As much as I have enjoyed the Burrito Bison release, I think Tentacles is my GOTW.

9. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Same. First of all, I had never heard of it before taking notice of this thread and someone's mention of it recently on NeoGAF. But it's been a very refreshing surprise. Just finished the 8th level last night, and the momentum of variety is really impressive. The level structure made me think that maybe it would be a little too one-note, but they mix things up a lot and very early on. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the game progresses.

As an aside, what exactly do you get with the IAP, and how does the gameplay differ from the campaign?

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Just bought the 2nd set of levels (16 stages) from IAP. A game like this definitely deserves this IAP bought. Havent played the second set yet though, so im unsure what the differences are. I hope a new storyline since it's a new "host"

11. fehaar

fehaar Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Game Developer
    Copenhagen
    You get 16 new levels in two new "worlds" and some new bosses and enemies to beat. There is also a continuation of the storyline from the original game. Lastly there is a new game mechanic, which I wont spoil. But it spices up gameplay.

12. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Are there plans to add more levels as IAP, or is this it for the story? Dependent on sales, I guess?

13. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Well, I have to say, to me this is IAP done right. The approach (though of course not the scale) is very much like what you'd expect from a console game like, say, something from Bethesda. If you like the game, you can buy more, and if you had your fill, you still got a great value. Hope to see more from you guys on this platform.

14. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Thid is what all IAPs should be about... Bought it. Its a lot of content and like GeekyDad says, its completely optional. After Tentacles and Max, I too hope to see Press Play again on iOS

15. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Just got this on gc now I get to see what's the fuss is about :)

16. It's a good game, I got it yesterday, and it is a totally different game concept from the usual type of games, and it works well using touchscreen. You can tell this game was made for tablets and iphones, and not a cruddy console port.

Fun game, definitely recommended!

17. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    On 3rd level like it a lot. How are boss fights?

18. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Well I died lots, but that's normal for boss fights for me.

19. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Oh wow... Im going deep into the story and Im engaged, best game I played in weeks, different and awesome

Good, they are hard and challenging, not like in Wimp for example, here I died

20. Great game, but sometimes I feel that some of my touch taps aren't being registered, anyone else feel the same way? Or am I tapping in a wrong way?