Universal Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin (By Microsoft Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Hen14, Oct 3, 2012.

1. fehaar

fehaar Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Game Developer
    Copenhagen
    I am happy to hear that! I will be keeping an eye on this thread so if there are questions/issues I will try to follow up on it.

2. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

When you say company policy you mean microsoft's? So you are able to port the game to ios but can't add game center? That sounds pretty weird...
    Good job on the game though, i thought i wouldn't buy any game this week :)

3. fehaar

fehaar Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Game Developer
    Copenhagen
    #63 fehaar, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
    Yes. Press Play is a Microsoft company and we have the same policies as Microsoft Studios. If we were to support anything Game Center like, it would have been XBox LIVE. That was not to be though. We are very happy to get to release the game on iOS in the first place.

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    How does it run on touch 4g?

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    so far; surprisingly smooth. I know the 4G has been becoming more and more obsolete over the last 6 months/year, but I haven't run into any lag, frame-skips or slowdown on my 4th gen. =o)

6. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So... it is kind of upsetting that Microsoft isn't allowing for GameCenter, though I do understand it's their policy. It's just that, if you're already a GameCenter/High-Score fanatic, getting into Tentacle, each level makes you wish GC was supported more and more. Figuring out the scoring, taking chances with quickness...

Anyway, it's definitely a great game, and easy to love even if it doesn't have something that's commonplace in iOS games these days.

I went ahead and purchased the Dog Eats Dog or whatever pack last night right after playing the tutorial level. Though I didn't get much time to play last night because of Burrito Bison (time just slipped away from me), I am enjoying this one quite a bit this morning. I'm on stage 4, and have gone back to replay the first four levels to get 3 stars. I never played this on Windows Phone, so it's all new to me, and did take a little bit of messing around with to fully understand. Just a little though.

Anywho... GREAT GAME! Also great to see the devs here on the forums. I wish you guys the best of luck with sales!! =oD

7. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    They've owned huge shares of Apple stock (and have had business partnerships) for years. Shouldn't be surprising, really.

8. gzz82

gzz82 Member

Jun 7, 2010
    simply game play but nice visual and challenges
    a buy for me

9. fehaar

fehaar Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Game Developer
    Copenhagen
    Thanks! We have been waiting for so long to get this game out to you guys, so we are pretty excited to finally get there. And we want to listen to what you are saying about it and hear your feedback.

10. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Thanks for the correction! I saw a number of new sites (Slide To Play being one) that mentioned Tactile as the makers, so I was going by what I read elsewhere. Glad you spotted that and said otherwise! Good to know!

11. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Looks like my kind of game, I will definitely pick this one up after work (will probably be my only purchase in a somewhat disappointing week of releases).

12. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Achievement system without Game Center is worthless, hell ill even take Xbox live if you can Microsoft.

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I wouldn't say it's worthless...

The achievements are still there to try and unlock, you just don't get worthless GC points. =oP

14. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    really strange and unique game, with very stylish sound and music (ambient/electronic)... most impressive release so far

whats this genre called? a (fish-)hooker? well, ok, a dolphin isn't a fish ;)

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've read it be called an Action Platformer and an Arcade Adventure... I'm not too sure what the proper genre tie would be...

=oP

16. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    well, it's somewhere between a bowels-hooker and a tentacle-spreader :)

17. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Someone asked earlier in the thread. It plays and looks great on 3GS, by the way.

18. Hero211

Hero211 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    This game would be truly amazing in retina on iPad 3 please update to retina display dev some of the textures look dull on iPad 3 only the creature looks sharp please fix!

19. Gatada

Gatada Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Love both the mood and visuals, but the core mechanic lends itself a bit too easily to just spamming - button mashing if you prefer. Feels like I can cheat my way theough. Reminds me of Sway, after I started mastering those big swings..

But I'll definitely play it some more in between my Wimp Who Stole My panties sessions (damn that game is awesome), maybe I'll enjoy it more as it progresses.

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Surprised you feel that way. To me, while not overly difficult in the levels I've played so far, you have to strategize where you want your tenticles to go. If you just spam/button mash, you're sure to lose pick-ups and/or die. Don't think you could ever get three-stars on every level playing that way.

I've even had a few times where I just went a bit too far with my tentacle and got hurt in a no-damage challenge or went too fast in a time challenge and missed pick-ups.

Just my opinion, but don't think straight button mashing is going to do it in this game.