Universal Tennis Champs : Returns! Coming soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Uprising Elton, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Just wanted to give a little heads up about one feature that's in TC:R. As I know a few of you here are probably very good players and might find the initial speed of the game a touch too slow..

The game speed ramps up as you win matches, from a 17% reduction at the start. It's designed to ease players in, and if you are good at the game, might be a *little* easy at first. But don't worry, once you've got into the game it'll be speedy again in no time and the opponent skill will increase to it's natural level, where it is a real challenge.

just wanted to call this out so you don't panic if you've seen the videos and expect it to be that hectic immediately and worry I've ruined it in tuning! :) It's something that has really helped some players who were stuggling to get into the game (not traditional console or retro players), giving them time to learn the necessary coordination without being put off, which should be good for the game long term.

2. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
  3. Mikiesque

Mikiesque Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Yeah that makes sense Elton. Glad to hear game is challenging too. Something I missed in SSC in the past.

4. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Glad it has been resubmitted. I'm very much looking forward to the release!

5. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Its odd as loads of people find that too hard! Such a wide array of gaming ability on mobile players its so hard to get right! SSC'16 will definitely have better AI though..

I still lose matches to the good players on tennis. Just got knocked out the big event in Indian Wells by Henri in the 2nd round #. He likes to volley and chip n charges.

6. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I think I'll be good with MFi controls, with touch ones I'll have to work hard... :D

7. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Will try and get that in for a first update within a week of launch. The fiddly bit is how I've done the onscreen controls and need to change what's useable during the tutorials. Shouldn't be long though.

8. der we

der we Active Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Hello Elton. Just bought your nice Game tappy lap # it is very funny. One Question for tennis champs is there the possibility to show the speed of the service?

9. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Doesn't currently. I'll add it in the 1st post launch update. (Plus Let-cord and line call bleeps, which I also forgot to put in)

Have some good plans for the larger update towards the summer but I'll get those in sooner.

10. der we

der we Active Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Ok that sounds good and now i wait impatience for the release of the Game ☺️

11. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #111 Uprising Elton, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    For those that don't know the original.. Some info I passed on in press release to sites such as this one.. (As yet, no word on any editorial coverage, so thought I'd share here)

Here's some reviews from 1995! (Changed links as direct image links have stopped working!)
    The One Amiga
    http://amr.abime.net/review_29037
    Amiga Format
    http://amr.abime.net/review_3271

Amiga Power
    Original coverdisk editorial
    http://amr.abime.net/issue_52_pages

Amiga Power - review issue cover
    http://amr.abime.net/issue_56_pages

Interview about the creation of the Amiga originals:
    http://www.abime.net/interviews/view/interview/id/72

12. Mikiesque

Mikiesque Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2013
    This is awesome Elton. As close to the time travel we are gonna get.

Thanks for sharing and making the countown to the release super hard now (in a good way obviously).

Btw, Amiga has been set up this weekend again after a few years of collecting dust (had an urge to play supercars and SWOS a few years ago) just waiting for original STC disks to arrive via post - bought them via eBay. This will be a nice warm up for the iOS release.

Eli and the rest of the TouchArcade folks - C'MON - you have one of the great Amiga game designers right here spoon feeding you with the info. Least you could do is give some more coverage for one of the best tennis games ever made!!!!!! Let's go TOUCHARCADE - do what's right!!!!

13. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    +1

No coverage at all would be ridiculous...

14. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This is great. Build up of a great game . I'll pay $20

15. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    So there will be some grunting players in TCR, I think. ;)

16. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Actually there aren't # I'm saving this for when I add the ladies tour!

17. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Wow, every post you write there is a nice news! :D

But... Are TC's players inspired by actual players?
    Especially players from the past, I see you are a fan of McEnroe and Agassi.
    Super Tennis jpn version was doing it, if I'm not wrong. But maybe it was Final Match Tennis.

18. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Not too many directly. We've still the original Super Tennis Champs characters, so Mac and Greg are still there. Might notice a scot called Andy whos at the top end of the ranking, but when you've got 200 players you will get the odd coincidence like that! I'm pretty sure there's and Andre in there who's bald! Quite a lot of the roster have other, none tennis inspirations, but those will need spotting by the player!

Depends how the game does... if it does well I might look into some official names for current players. I'd rather do more tennis legends though. I've got sprite work from back in the day for some of the sports best known players, which I can't really use unless I get permission.. They're really nice representations but only a few frames for each were done and they would need a fair bit of work to make every animation for.

19. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Uhm, maybe in the early 90s "getting inspired by" wasn't a problem. :D
    Now there would be legal issues for sure. ^_^'

20. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Have the 1.1 release pretty much ready now with a few ai tweaks and a smaller bugs squashed.. just need the first version out now so I can submit it :)