Universal Tennis Champs : Returns! Coming soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Uprising Elton, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    With 1.1 right away? Or will it be 1.0?

2. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I'm guessing 1.1 will have gone through review by full launch.. Pretty sure it will.

3. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Been watching this thread for a while. Can't wait to get my hands on this. Reading all the reviews makes me jealous as next wed can come fast enough.

4. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Quick question for anyone with the game already :-

Do you think it's too hard initially?

Really appreciate any replies on this.. thanks!

5. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    No it's really perfect! I love it so much, my favourite game this year.

6. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

This looks fantastic!

7. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I honestly think you've reached a great balance. The easy lowly players are quite easy to beat and the 4+ stars are quite hard when you are ranked low. And that's how it should be. I shouldn't be able to beat the top 10 players with my 100th ranked player yet. As I continue to climb up the rankings and improve my dude, I expect to be able to compete with the big boys soon.
    So far I wouldn't change a thing. My lowly dude is competitive in the easy weekly comps but is outclassed by the higher ranks. Just like in real life. Please don't make it easier at this point if that's even a consideration of yours

8. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Cheers for the replies so far. I've been looking at the metrics logged so far and it does seem that just over 2/3rd of matches are won, which it pretty good. But I do see players on there losing a match, then doing a lot of the minigames, then entering another match, and losing again :)

I've watched a few youtube vids that have appeared too, and the standard of play was distressingly low on 1 or 2 of them.. just not learning the timing at all, and running about pretty aimlessly at times. Maybe just hands not being amatch for my on screen dpad size and deadzone.. but then I am working on an option screen where that can all be configured which shoudl help

9. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    #189 Mr. Charley, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Timing is a huge (and awesome) part of the game.
    Also strategy: if you scout players, you'll find their weakness and strengths. Don't play to their forehand if they have an awesome forehand....
    I love that strategy. Not sure everyone is aware of that or paying attention to it either but that just adds to the awesomeness! :)

One question: if I scout a player and play against him again in the future, will my scouting record remain or will I have to rescout again?

10. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Currently the scouting is not stored for later encounters (it's stored should you exit the matchup screen and return though) but this is going to change in a future update, when I add the "hall of conquests" to the trophy room, where you'll be able to see all the opponents you've met.

11. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Are you trying to make the best game of the year? :)

12. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #192 Uprising Elton, Feb 12, 2016
    v1.1 has gone into review.. should go through fine as there's nothing hugely different since 1.0 (just the odd bug that I'm pretty sure none of you have hit anyway, and the max speed setting). So WW launch is not pretty certain to be the updated version.

13. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Great! By the way two things I'd love to see in the future, the possibility to choose the Taiwanese nationality and the option to play double in career mode. Also I found a bug, once in a while even tho I press the hit button the player does nothing and that especially when I play on the upper court (facing us).

14. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    I'm pretty sure th "button didn't work" thing is actually your thumb missing it. (it happened to me and I've been really carefull to work out what's happening) Usually missing it to the right. I'm going to increase the hit zone size a bit on the next update, in fact make the hit zone a square rather than a circle) along with the config screen for the touch controls it should prevent this happening.

Am I tryng to make game of the year? Not really :) Just the "Best Tennis Game Ever Made" :)

The Player list in the upcoming trophy room (wel, the "player stats area" really) will also let you challenge any opponents you've never happend to be drawn against in events, for a one of match, for a coin cost. This will give you use for the coins you've accumulated when you no longer really need them for boosts etc. (Of course this cost will be halved if you are VIP too.) and will give another completion goal to the player once they are good.
    Also extra player customisation options. if you've got any particular outfit requests you'd like to see (adding headbands, long pants, and some custom ones, like a full suit "Onesie", a "jedi" style outfit and a santa costume amongst others) then please le tme know here, or PM me if you prefer..

15. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #195 Uprising Elton, Feb 12, 2016
    1.1 Update hitting soft launch now..

If someone with a MFi controller could let me know how that's working, that'd be most helpful!!

A - flat hit
    B - slice
    X - top spin
    Y - lob (+ dpad down for drop shot)

16. Mikiesque

Mikiesque Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Yup 1.1 is out. And oh my that speed on grass courts!!!!!!

Agree with previous posters - please don't make game easier at all. It has the great balance so far. Challenging at later stages of the comp.

My player is now 3.5 stars and just managed to beat Andre for the first time but lost to Greg in the final then. Some strategies really require concentration and working out counter strategies.

You made 'best tennis game ever' 20 years ago - today just more people get to play it :)

17. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    If you had added Italy to soft-country I would have told you in minutes. :D

Just joking ;)

18. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Well, maybe I can add 1 extra country..

19. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
  20. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Better check the store.. Singapore and Italy added!! A good idea to have it appearing new somewhere for the weekend when most games get downloaded I think :)