Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. alwaysneedsleep

alwaysneedsleep Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    As much as i like having a maxed player. I would rather capped, much more fun to work out peoples weaknesses that way.

2. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Will you be able to max out a couple of stats with the cap for example can I max out my backhand and serve (5*), while still being able to put points on others but these others were inferior (3*).

3. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Yep, I might just default the settings to 3* and then add a pool of points you can top up what you like, but only enough to max out a few areas.

4. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Very (very) minor complaint but i need to post it since it frustrated me a lot yesterday lol

So in the daily challenge i was paired with a doubles partner i can only describe as retarded

She would make semi lobs on every serve return, setting up a perfect smash opportunity for our opponents. She would also frequently just stare at a ball passing by in her side, giving the point away. She seemed incapable of doing punch or drop volleys let alone smashes

In the end i got frustrated enough that i gave up on that daily challenge

As i said, it's a tiny issue because this game is simply fantastic. Just thought i'd mention it so there is a chance i won't have to play with her again;)

5. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Thabks, I'll check it out. I did limit tbe range of players used for those matches but it was created before I changed some of the player ratings and swapped some of them to use ladies.

6. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Is anyone else having difficulties hitting a lob when someone dropshots you? Everytime i get up to the ball I cannot hit, not sure if its me or the way it is.

7. oz9

oz9 New Member

May 29, 2009
    Update Mechanics

Been enjoying the game alot @Uprising Elton, really a terrific job and I do hope sales pick up. Unfortunately I have to admit my enthusiasm has diminished since the update, despite all the generous extras. This is due to changes in the mechanics. The kick serves are absolutely hellish to execute now, to the point where it's essentially unusable because it's too risky to execute well in a tiebreak tournament despite several rounds of practices. In tennis one usually uses a kick serve on a second serve, but here that's a recipe for a double fault. It was also a previously smooth and satisfying motion, now it's just annoying.
    I've found shots I would generally make prior to the update are now less likely. Actually my character with a maxed out speed just feels more sluggish, and the added grunt sound effect on those far reaches becomes annoying.
    Also trying to move in and strike the ball early was a viable tactic, but now is more likely to have you netting the shot. Subsequently getting depth is also more of an effort. While I can certainly see the benefits of tweaking some mechanics, you already had an enjoyable and challenging game and I feel the changes have had an adverse effect; not to mention one has to relearn things that weren't really broken.

8. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Use a topspin shot instead

Though i do feel dropshots are slightly overpowered when playing the AI because they seem capable of making perfect ones even when you make a perfect flat or topspin shot

9. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    #1190 jn2002dk, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    I use kickserve all the time with no issues

Also, if you want to use a safe kickserve as a 2nd serve, use the slow shot button instead. I have yet to see a double fault as a result of that

10. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Well, it's very hard to lob against a drop shot in real life...

I think slow serve is more a slice serve. By the way no problem here with kick serve, too.

11. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Does topspin work as a lob after drop shot from ai?

Yeah i understand that it may be difficult in general to pull off atchoo, its just that when I see ai doing it to me frequently I should be able to do it as well.

Yeah gotta agree, no issues with kick serves on my end. Although I agree taking the ball early for an angled shot does hit the net more than before but I don't mind. I expect to hit unforced errors occasionally on tough shots like that.

12. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #1193 Uprising Elton, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    I've not changed anything to do with serving or the kick serve in ages! Not sure why you'd feel it's changed recently.. Always keen to see replays where anyone has any in-game issues, so I see if there's an odd bug at work.
    Speeds not actually changed either. It can vary from game to game a bit if your energy is depleted, as low energy penalises random skills areas each match.

This was changed a lot for returning serves, but is no different on ground strokes to how it's been before. It was to stop players with good control stats being able to return serves right off the bounce, which was affecting 2 player games a lot.

I'm most of the way through another pass of tweaks for the next update now, hope to submit it tomorrw night, but I'll bear in mind all your feedback as I finalise it.

13. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    The difficulty with hitting lobs off drop shots is just getting enough time to drag upwards as you're close to a slow moving ball. I'll make a few tweaks that will help this a bit this coming update..

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I vote for the first option.

15. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Yeah that may be the reason for why I can't seem to lob up there, not enough time.

Also is everyone still finding matches? I am still yet to find one these past 5 days.

16. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    New Update in with Apple.

Star cap is now on all 2 Player games. Defaults to 2.5 stars for all abilities + a pool of 16 stars to pick your strengths. (Other Characters still useable but mostly cosmetic in Online play)

"Elo" style ranking system for online players, with a gamecenter leaderboard.

Difficulty reductions and balance of dynamic difficulty changed. Plus a couple of small Bug fixes

17. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Is there a year limit on career mode? Or you can take as many years as you want?

18. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    There's no limit, no. Although I'm still planning to add a couple of new challengers to the tour after a year or so to freshen up the names at the top of the rankings.

Update is in review now, so expect it to hit later today / tonight

19. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks!

So I am a little less worried about shaming my career. lol

Underdogs going to top are always better.

Edit: looking forward to another update. The game is awesome! I can't praise it enough, since it is so much fun.