Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I'm adding a configuration screen where you can adjust placement of the on screen dpad, and change the deadzone on it.. that might help you. Should have a non-dpad optional control scheme nearer the summer too.

2. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks for the quick response!

3. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    It's really a good game. For me the best Tennis Game on IOS.
    But without a floating Control-Stick it is too hard to play. Controls really need a redesign.

4. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    I wonder if / when we might see a review? So far TC:R's not really bothered the charts and I've just seen the first 1 star itunes review (someone who doesn't like the gentle start to the game and didn't stick with it for it to get quick)

The App Store has refreshed here too and no mention in best new games, so now I'm depressed again.. :(

5. Zghying

Zghying Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Might have missed this; Does it sync across multiple devices?

6. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    What a fantastic game

Anyone with even a remote interest in tennis games needs to get this immediately

7. Wafflesandbeer

Jan 28, 2016
    Kind of a wierd question, but I'm not very good at these twitchy control type of games on iOS, but this game is awesome. I dont want to end up frustrated because pulling stuff off like a backhanded, top-spin slam ends up being required later on to win. Is it possible to just grind up skill points to the point where that alone can win you matches?

Sort of related, as a terrible player, I would love an auto movement option to automatically have your guy return to the middle after a move so you can just focus on using the dpad for aiming shots.

8. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    This one?

Shoddy controls. Especially the left pad which should be dynamic the same way Hungry Shark Evolution or Leo's Fortune do. Right now it's so unnatural for mobile devices it's creating a real frustrating experience. Your first few opponents moonball you to death. The feeling of progression from upgrading your character is painfully slow and unsatisfying. Such a bummer that every tennis game on the App Store is so lacking...

With trainings you could upgrade your character very quickly....
    Ok, I'm a genius of tennis games :)D), but nobody was moonballing me.

9. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Working on that (Ai assisted controls) for an update nearer the Wimbledon kind of time, where people who wouldn't normally like tennis take an interest :)

You can probably get to a certain levl just out hitting you opponents with normal shots, but you won' tbe able to win many events. I'm sure you'll be able to improve though, keep at it! :)

10. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm really struggling with the controls. Even with the tutorial it took me doing shots over and over and over before it would let me pass.

I don't know of a good solution. I love the presentation and I actually remember playing this when I was a kid.

I'm just really having a difficult time with the controls. It's holding me back.

Billy

11. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    One common mistake I've seen one of the guys who tests for me make at first, was letting go of the dpad before they've hit tha ball, so the shot doesn't go left / right.

I don't think a floating dpad is the answer in this game, as it just means you would take longer to start running (press down, then slide thumb), when a fixed dpad lets you just touch down in the right place. I can add a floating pad mode, as people ask for it, but they won't find it helps them play better.

If you want the game more casual, you'll need revisit in the summer when those modes are part of the package. As it stands it's intentionally a fairly hard core skill game at heart.

12. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Great review! :)

13. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Now can we just make a few hundred thousand clones of Jared so I can make a living from it #

14. bugsland

bugsland Active Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Really great game!
    Thanks to the dev for this little gem. The TC review nails it for me!

15. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Oh Apple how you confuse me. This awesome game, quite possibly not only the best tennis game ever, but the best sports game available on your platform gets no love on your best new games. Then you go ahead and put some Kylie and Kendall shell of a game on there. Curse humanity for this abomination!!

16. mj132

mj132 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Downloaded and brought the VIP to support, I'm spreading the word about this game to all my friends as it's such an awesome game.

I'd write more but I'm going back to playing this game!

17. Lunacy182

Lunacy182 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Great game but the controls are a little difficult to get use to. When I'm on the side of the court with the player closest to the screen I do fine. But switch sides and I have a hard time winning. Not sure why. I just wish the camera switched sides too. Maybe I'll get use to it.

18. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Great

This is awesome, VIPped immediately.

The controls do take some getting used to but when you're in the zone it feels very intuitive.

It's ace. (sorry...)

19. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Had a fee requests for this so will look at adding an option for it

20. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #120 LordShad0wz, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    First off I don't want a game that's easy. I'm an old school hard core game. I was shooting my kid in the face as she grew up on Xbox. Lol. What I did after reading what you wrote was I sat down for a good hour and a half and played. I played and played. I lost a lot. Then I started getting the hang of it. I did pay for the VIP. This is a good game. It's well worth the small amount of money you are asking.

I've got a lot of improvement to make but I am no where near as frustrated as I was. It's fun. You just have to keep at it.

I did leave a nice review on the AppStore as well.

Billy