Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Yep, but an actual player smashes when he attacks, too.
    I love *real* serve and volley and I am proud to say I have seen (not live :() McEnroe, Edberg, first Becker, Krajicek, Rafter, Henman, first Federer... Smashes were frequent with them because it wasn't easy play good lob shots against them.

2. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Yeah, the smash as a finisher should probably be differentiated from trying to deal with a lob, and be much more accurate. (With the odd error only) I'll do that. :D

3. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
  4. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Nice :) Maybe one day I'll be able to add it :) Would like to add more swing variation animations too but I don't think I've got the time for the foreseeable, with day job, SSC to update, and 1st child on the way in 7 weeks! :)

5. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Oh, grats! :)

6. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009

I joke to the wife that I recently had a baby of my own, called Tennis Champs. She never laughs :(

Just submitting a(nother) new update.. Fixed a couple of small mistakes that were effecting the difficulty curve and making it harder than expected, and added some extra help to beginners too:-

The lower tournaments now have an extra limit on the AI level used.
    The limiting of opponent abilities drops off a touch from the semi finals onwards (previously was with each round) so beginners should get more games per event in before being challenged.
    XP earn rate for the first few level ups is accelerated so players get more rewards.
    After that XP rate is slightly more generous all round
    The AI error frequency has been turned up a touch

As well as that, I've now made the lag compensation use the distance between the players and the ball speed to work more accurately. In my tests it's been a big improvement.
    And closing in on a serve will now have a very high probablity of a mis-hit, which should discourage the tactic and improve online play.

Oh, and there's now a language setting in the options!
    (And I've put in some of the improved italian where space wasn't an issue)

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Elton, this juicy update sent me straight into the App Store to redownload TCR, only to find that my cloud data was no more (still on the same iCloud account/Apple ID, and I made sure that I had uploaded my career to the cloud before I deleted the app a few weeks back).

Any chance to recover my lost career?

8. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Afraid not. Not sure why icloud did that. I've never had it lose any data.

9. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Please let me know how the online play is performing on the latest update!
    Just played my first match and it was pretty damn good. The latency was rarely noticeable.

10. impulso

impulso Member

May 19, 2014
    Still absurdly ridiculous

Since 2 updates ago, the difficulty level has become ridiculous to the point I want to delete the game. 2.5 star players are hitting the ball harder and with more angle than my 5 star player in the 3rd round. Really? Is that the point? To make it impossible?

The returns from some of the AI players are to the point where it is impossible to reach. Once in a while is understandable. But at 250 level tournaments, this should simply not happen.

If this is in a grand slam final and the AI is perfect, I'd still be annoyed but not frustrated.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

11. alwaysneedsleep

alwaysneedsleep Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016

I haven't had any issues in difficultly, maybe slightly more difficult but hard to tell. In French open final vs mac and quite easily winning.

Elton did fix some issues with AI and how difficult it can get, it came out today. Have you downloaded and tried it out? It may help your issues.

12. neonbible

neonbible Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Any chance of putting iCade back in? I normally play a tennis game during Wimbledon season and would love to pick this up :)

13. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    The difficulty on v 2.11 is now at the lowest level its ever been, especially in lower ranked tournaments, and rounds earlier than the semi final.
    All difficulty adjustment is done by pulling back the abilities and ai level of your opponent. I never reduce the players stats to make it harder (only low energy does that)
    If the opponenet is better than you (by more than 2 stars, and you are in a semi final or final, the AI plays a little better.
    The one override to this is after you've won 120 matches.
    At that point I assume you are pretty good and I let all players reflect their actual rating accurately. And I turn the AI level (which dictates reaction times and strategy) up 1
    Level, this is to try and make lower level matches less of a bore / too easy.

I would like to watch a replay of a few points from anyone finding a lowish ranked player is smashing their maxed out guy. So please do record a couple and send me the everyplay link as I should be able to tell if anything has gone wrong.

Oh, and also 1 warning.. Once you've won enough for the opponent reduction to ease off it's worth remembering this : just because a player if 2 or 3 stars, doesn't mean he can't have 1 or more powerful shots!! Star rating is an average. You need to work out if they have a strong / weak side and play accordingly, that's what scouting us there for.

14. impulso

impulso Member

May 19, 2014
    I wish you could post a video and show me how your play is.

I have downloaded the update, and still the problem persists. I hit great service return shots with topspin in the corner and the return from a 3 star play in the 3rd round comes back where it is not possible for me to get to, even if I am back in the middle. Or if I hit a good serve, the return isn't reachable. This isn't in a grand slam, or even a 1000 tournament. It's a 500 or 250 tournament.

This cannot happen. This simply means the balancing is off. There is a drastic difference between a 3 star player and a 5 star player. If the difference is minute, then why have the stars at all?

I am not claiming to be a great player, but I shouldn't have to be against a supposedly inferior player. If I am up against a 4.5 star player and I suck, I have no issues being beaten soundly but to be beaten constantly when I am not messing up in the 3rd round of a smaller tournament is silly.

It's really turning me off this game quickly.

I wish I could see some footage of you guys...for all I know, I may be doing things fundamentally wrong!! :(

15. impulso

impulso Member

May 19, 2014
    Thanks for the reply and explanation. I get it, and don't mistake my gripes for wishing the game was easy.

I will figure out a way to record this and send it your way. I have been known to suck, so it may just boil down to that. :)

16. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Recording is simple as watching the replay of the point (press the R button in the top right) once, then whe. The share button lights up you can post the replay on everyplay.

17. impulso

impulso Member

May 19, 2014
    Awesome! That helps! Will do that and send you a private message

18. impulso

impulso Member

May 19, 2014
    I've posted a few shots(same name as my username). I know my play is not optimal but that level of play from the AI shouldn't be possible with that level of difference in the players.

I'll post more tomorrow. Let me know what I may be doing wrong. I would love feedback too. Thanks!

19. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I'm just curious to see your replays...
    I never had problems, but a friend of mine was struggling against 3 stars players, so I went to him to understand why: man, he was very bad in tennis games, nothing else! :p

20. impulso

impulso Member

May 19, 2014
    I might suck too. I have a feeling it's cause I play extensively in real life and I run towards where the ball could come back in real life at my level. I'm no professional(far from it), but am not a beginner either.

Or simply, I am horrible.