Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. alwaysneedsleep

alwaysneedsleep Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Thats great news! Must explain the increase in Americans I seem to be finding myself against.

And coolglassesguy, still gotta be the toughest competitor I've faced so far ;)

2. CoolGlassesGuy

CoolGlassesGuy Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    You've bested me once again, alwaysneedsleep. I don't know if I can go on after such a defeat...

In all seriousness, you're quite the formidable opponent. It makes things a lot more interesting when you go against someone who's on the same level as you, if not better. You did a great job balancing between ground strokes and volleys, it made you pretty unpredictable.

And, yeah, you're definitely the best I've played up to this point, as well.

3. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    As soon as the update is live and you've got the same version that's on my phone, I'll give you both a couple more games!
    My biggest problem is I've not been playing it as a level where I'm challenging the 5* players often as I have to restart career frequently for testing, so I need to adapt to the sheer speed of it at the top level again. (oh the early days when I was having 5 setters with Drew and Kamui for Major titles seems a long time ago! )

The update has locked online play a tiny bit slower than previously (I've taken 3% off it), just to improve the quality of the matches a touch, which also helps with any lag too.

I'm expecting it to get reviewed today and be out tonight, if the last few submission are anything to go by..,

4. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Update in review now so shouldn't be long now.

5. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    When I lost that tie breaker, I was annoyed that I lost for the 2nd time, but then the name looked familiar and I realised it was you. So I was ok losing because your a great player ;)

Yeah your a really good baseliner coolglassesguy, not many rallies because you'd hit a winner pretty quick haha, thats why i had to mix my shots up to keep you on your toes.

6. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Yeah I'd love to have another match with you Elton, if you dont have a 5* I'll match up with whatever * you have to make it even ;)

7. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Update is out. Played a couple of online matches this morning and working well. Hope you all find the same!

Played one guy with a maxed out character, who was really moving in on all serves. With full control stats the current physics based approach doesn't penalise it enough. I'm going to put in a really brutal fix against people doing that next update if I see it again. It ruins the match.

8. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    #1108 atchoo, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    We will see this kind of things more and more: online gaming is the best way to balance a game. :)

P.s. I could fix italian "What's new" translation, if you want. ;)

9. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    That would be great thanks :)

For small quick updates I have to trust google :(

10. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Ok. ;)

Migliorate stabilità e prestazioni della modalità di gioco online
    Corretto un problema di connessione tra i dispositivi più recenti e quelli più vecchi
    Perfezionate volée e potenza dei colpi

11. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Currently travelling into the day job.. Might be available for matched in about 4 hours.. (My lunch time).

12. CoolGlassesGuy

CoolGlassesGuy Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    I've already done a few matches, and generally things are going smoother. There's definitely a noticable difference. Also, maybe it was just my imagination, but I seemed to get matched up with a player quicker than usual. Regardless, keep up the good work!

Actually, I did go against someone who would approach the net on all the serves once, and there isn't much you can do about it. So, fixing that is probably for best.

13. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Yeah i agree, every match that I've had gone through to the actual tennis court screen hasn't dropped out yet. So already a big plus.

14. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I see slow and slice serves/shots lag more than flat and top spin ones.

15. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Could you describe a bit more.. Does the opponent hit the ball before you've seen it reach them, or does it pass through them and then get hit?

16. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I'd say both, but I'm not 100% sure.

17. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    I think it's just more noticeable on a slower ball, I don't think there's anything broken as such. It just varys as the lag is never completely consistent (uless you're on a really good connection), the estimate of the latency used to try and synch the shot nicely can be wrong for any given message.
    There's one more idea I've got to try and make it a bit more accurate yet though, for the next update.

18. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #1118 Uprising Elton, Jun 30, 2016
    Just reading a few of the US App Store reviews from the last month, with a bunch of people complaining about the game becoming unfair now, and hindering the player character, making you hit out etc.

In case there are any people of this opinion reading, just want to clarify 1 thing. There is one thing different. Continual poor timing of shots decreases your accuracy during a rally. That's the only change to the players performance. This was combined with good timing actually increasing your shot power through a rally, so if you are good, your guy will be hitting way above his progression level.

Anyway, that's pretty much made my mind up.. I'm finally adding 2 difficulty settings next update..

19. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    They should watch some video of Super Tennis or Final Match Tennis. TCR is more forgiving...
    But I think you could rethink how smashes work: they seem too random.

20. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #1120 Uprising Elton, Jun 30, 2016
    Smashes are a funny one, as most tennis games always let you overhead a ball on the way down if the opponent lobs and you can reach it. In real tennis you rarely see this.. A defensive lob is almost always allowed to bounce before an overhead, unless it's a *really* weak lob attempt. But unless you have the mobility aspect of a real person modelled (with turning and momentum etc.) you can't make a game do this and also have lobs ever be effective.
    Anyway, I know that's not what you meant :) the accuracy and aiming aspects could be improved, it's on my todo list.