Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #1081 Uprising Elton, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Update submitted..

Online should be more reliable, a few messages now get extra resends so it should cope with packet loss a bit better. Lag compensation has been improved a bit. 32bit vs 64bit device issue is fixed.
    Have also added the option to watch ads for Free boosts for career matches instead of spending coins.
    Fixed a couple of bugs with the difficulty scaling. You should now find opponents with better ratings than you go less easy on you the deeper you are into a tournament, which should stop cheap victories against the better players coming too early in a career..

Tomorrow I'll be preparing a facebook ads capaign, tryng to get word out there while there's some tennis going on.

2. alwaysneedsleep

alwaysneedsleep Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Ive found a bug were I've been at the net very close to ai opponent, basically face to face, and when we exchange very quick shots it gets to a couple of hits and the game crashes. It's happened to me a couple of times now.

3. noss130

noss130 Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Hi, the update will be out next monday right?
    Thx for your reactivity :)

4. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Not seen that one.. Will investigate

5. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Before then! Will release as soon as it goes through Apple, which is now running at 24 to 48 hours these days.

6. noss130

noss130 Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Nice work. Thx u a lot, will buy coins for support :).

7. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    I'm glad somebody is! :D

Revenue has been awful despite good downloads since the update. :( Especially sad after all the extra expense on localising.
    At least you guys are still playing it anyway, and will see what happens on Apple TV and Android, but it's a long way from sustainable as it is. Really thought (hoped!) it'd be doing great this week too!

8. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Oh that's a shame Elton, cos it's definitely worth more than your getting. I get more enjoyment out of this game more than console tennis games.

I find thats an issue with tennis games there not popular enough to get a large fan base.

Not sure how hard it would be for you to make but if you made different character shots e.g. One handed backhand or different types of forehand motions etc, or even something simpler like different shirt styles id be more than willing to buy it as an in app purchase.

But once again you'd need lots of purchases to make it worth it.

9. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Elton, I sent you a PM some days ago. Did you see it?

10. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #1090 Uprising Elton, Jun 28, 2016
    Oh, I'll still be adding extra customisation stuff and outfits fairly soon.
    And stilk going to drop more funds on adverts to see if I can get a more stable high chart position, especially in the US ahead of their Open..

11. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Yep, thanks for that. Haven't had tine to make the changes yet. Will do so for the update with the star cap screen for 2 player. Just wanted to get an update in quickly to resolve a few of those 2 player issues.

12. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Oh nice. Will you consider making them an iap in the future?

13. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009

I think a higher coin cost, so you can buy coins if you want them immediately is enough. And a discount on that for VIPs..

14. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    #1094 atchoo, Jun 28, 2016
    +1

I easily put it on a par with Super Tennis, Final Match Tennis and Top Rank Tennis (aka Top Ranking Tennis) about enjoyment (Super Final Match Tennis on SNES wasn't good like on PC Engine). And I think it's better than them globally (keeping in mind it's a 2016 game vs. two 1991 games and a 1993 game).

15. noss130

noss130 Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Another stuff for the future : organize daily tournament online. It will be a great feature, and of course an online rank link to tournaments, with rewards (like coins, or dress for example). I know that will take time to set, but it's just an idea :).

16. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Oh i agree with you on that atchoo. I loved final match tennis, it was a very unforgiving game but definitely not the same depth as tennis champs. Cant speak for super tennis and top rank tennis as I haven't played them.

I was more comparing tennis champs to virtua tennis and top spin tennis on xbox and pc. Although their pretty to look at I'd prefer gameplay over graphics for a tennis game and tennis champs delivers on that but with portability as well.

17. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    #1097 atchoo, Jun 28, 2016
    I think it's not only graphics...
    It's a matter of suspension of disbelief: more a game is photorealistic and more it's not-100%-satisfying.
    Look at TCR: it's a videogame, you can't be wrong. :)

Imho, obviously.

18. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    #1098 alwaysneedsleep, Jun 28, 2016
    Thats a fair point atchoo. I know if a photorealistic video game character looks like an actual tennis player I expect them to move and swing like them, if they don't it breaks the illusion and as you said you come away not 100% satisfied.

And because TCR isn't photorealistic it doesn't bother me. Which is great I can just focus on the tennis ;)

19. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Just seen that TCR is now in Best New Updates on the US App Store and has shot up to number 9 in the Sports Game chart!

20. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    First "Tennis games we love" choice in italian App Store. :)