Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #1001 Uprising Elton, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    To celebrate the big update, I'm putting the VIP / ad removal IAP down to tier 1 price until end of Friday!

2. alwaysneedsleep

alwaysneedsleep Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Downloaded the new update, so far I love what you've done with the ai, they seem to be more varied in their shot selection.

Finding it difficult to match up in multiplayer.
    My gamecenter name is alwaysneedsleep if anyone wants a match.

3. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    can't play in mp!

find a random GC rival, then when i'm going to choose my character in the list, the game crashes.

4. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #1004 Uprising Elton, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    I managed to play 2 auto-matched matches online last night.
    Both showed the message warning about a bit too much latency for an ideal game though. No idea where in the world each player was!

I didn't get to complete either due to it getting stuck while resynching before a point, but the second match this was after a great battle with someone called "Juice", a couple of points into our tiebreaker at 3 games each.

Obviously multiplayer is very difficult to thing to launch with 100% confidence, as its almost impossible to test thoroughly in real world conditions. But now its out I can assess it and get some good data.
    I will be looking into a few things where I suspect problems could be occuring, and will of course be patching to improve connection robustness as I find solutions.

Just ask for a bit of patience while I work to get it perfect!

(Using it to play people on the same local wifi network has proved very stable for me, and if possble, that is the ideal use of the feature.)

5. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Well I just took down someone's maxed out player with Roger, so I guess it's working OK if you get a good connection!

6. alwaysneedsleep

alwaysneedsleep Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Been searching all day for a match, havent had any luck yet. Hopefully I will soon, love to see how I compare to you guys ;)

7. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Where in the world are you?

8. FuriousThumbs

FuriousThumbs Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Elton, any chance you can fix that issue with the cloud drive icon only/missing title?

9. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Will investigate...

10. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I remember seeing someone post that they don't want the players to change side because they find it harder to play from the upper side. I want to just leave my 2c that I don't want that to change (ie I am pro side changing). I find it works in with the challenge of the game, and could make the game boring or maybe more so bring on overplay burnout sooner if you stayed at the one end all the time. There's only a small element of skill in the lower vs upper court positions, and I think it's part of the game and should stay.

That's my 2c

11. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #1011 Uprising Elton, Jun 23, 2016
    That's why it's in the options as a choice! :D

I just lost another pretty good online match. (I was Synex vs Greg) worked pretty well. The odd shot and point that looked a touch strange but on the whole it played very well.
    I definitely need to look at a few things on the connections side, and add some extra config options as there are far too many people with maxed out players which is a pretty brutal match.

just pasting this from an earlier message so it stays visible :-

Obviously multiplayer is a very difficult thing to launch with 100% confidence, as its almost impossible to test thoroughly in real world conditions. But now its out I can assess it and get some good data.
    I will be looking into a few things where I suspect problems could be occuring, and will of course be patching to improve connection robustness as I find solutions.

Just ask for a bit of patience while I work to get it perfect!

(Using it to play people on the same local wifi network has proved very stable for me, and if possble, that is the ideal use of the feature.)

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    ^ Oooohk then. I guess that's what "always bottom" is. Didn't realise. But don't really want to use it.

13. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I tried some online match, but I was unlucky: only one in a four matches worked for me. :(
    I think lag was the problem, though.

And a question: is opponent's serve hint always off in online matches?

14. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Yep, the serve hint is an AI thing only.

Please try and get friends you know are local to get the game, is it is the best way to ensure a good online experience. Auto match can put you against people very far away with high latency and packet loss which is hard to recover from in a fast game.
    I'll be doing an update on Monday that should improve the multiplayer in a few areas I've noticed already though.

15. CoolGlassesGuy

CoolGlassesGuy Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Hey, I've been playing TC:R since launch and I figured it was time to stop lurking on these forums and give some input. First off, I'm lovin' the new update. The AI is way better now when compared to how it was earlier. I like how they're actually prone to mistakes, instead of playing like tennis gods. At one point, I was going against Penny (who is a 5 star player), and she comitted a double fault! Also, the new sounds are great! They may seem like little things, but it all adds to the experience.

I have been trying multiplayer on-and-off since the update went live, and, so far, it's been 50-50. I have gotten through some matches (presumably my opponents had good connections), and some have crashed mid-match, or even in the start of the match. Overall, I have enjoyed it, though. Going against a actual human player is a lot different than playing the CPU, but way more fun. With the CPU, you can pretty much use the same tricks and still win, where as you have to mix it up when facing other players. Anyways, I'm sure the whole online experience will get better in the future. Keep up the amazing work!

16. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    @CoolGlassesGuy You were my opponent! :D
    I see you live in Texas, though, now I understand the lag (I live in Italy).

17. CoolGlassesGuy

Dec 16, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Yeah, that was fun! I've seen you on the forums, so naturally I was surprised to see you on the court! (And, yeah, that would explain the lag)

18. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    It's a shame because you are good (more than me, I think) and we could have fun, but too lag... :(

19. CoolGlassesGuy

Dec 16, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks! You're pretty good yourself, and, hopefully we'll get to do some more matches someday, without so much lag.

20. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #1020 Uprising Elton, Jun 23, 2016
    Just played you as Jody! Texas <-> England! Very well played Sir! Worked surprisingly well considering the distance..

Definitely a few shots that didn't seem to go exactly where they appeared for me, I'll make sure I work that out and fix out a few places the game is susceptible to packet loss issues.