Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Do the daily challenges count for full speed in quick matches?
    I see the speed is limited and I'd like to know if I have to play some quick matches to unlock it.

2. alwaysneedsleep

alwaysneedsleep Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Alright thanks guys. I'll do that then.

3. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Good question.. I think the daily challenge (if it's a regular match) does count to the total for the single match speed. I'll have to check but I'm at the day-job now and don't have my lap top with me to look at the code.

Have a full internet test of the online 2 player mode going on at lunch today.. will see how it copes with a bit more latency than testing 2 devices at home :)

Will finish iCloud tonight and should have an update in with that added (and the other bugs that have been spotted) by mid-week.

4. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Boy I'd love to be on the receiving end of that online multiplayer. Hopefully there is a big enough community that allows for regular online play.

5. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Understood, didn't want you losing any revenue. :)

I took a set off of Mac today, I feel strangely satisfied.

Hearthstone legendary push can wait. :D

6. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Thanks.
    I could have used those ranking points, but there are more opportunities to get those.
    Still a great game regardless.

7. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Thanks for the understanding :) Next update with iCloud and Pro mode is definitley the last until the big summer update (with online, ladies, casual control mode. etc.) so I'm going to be doubly careful (I am usually pretty careful anyway) to test around the saving and progress issues to make sure they are all completely solid.

8. My Brain Hurts

My Brain Hurts New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Dear Devs,
    Please increase the size of the serve/shot buttons. They're back to being too small again now... i miss them regularly with my right thumb and the game becomes unplayable, particularly against harder opponents where one error can cost you a match.

It's a great game, but things like that make it infuriating.

Thanks!

9. Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario Member

Mar 7, 2016
    #729 Dr. Mario, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    I just had a relatively frustrating issue regarding the points awarded for each tournament.

I was trying to beat the #1 record for annual "High Ranking Points," currently set by myself and five other people of 20,500. These are the tournaments I attended:

Qatar Open at Doha (500)
    Australian Champs at Melbourne (2000)
    Dubai Classic at Dubai (500)
    West Coast Classic at Indian Wells (1000)
    Miami Beach Open at Miami (1000)
    Monaco Master at Monte-Carlo (1000)
    Madrid Open at Madrid (1000)
    Internazionali at Rome (1000)
    Paris Champs at Paris (2000)
    London Champs at London (2000)
    Swedish Open at Bastad (500)
    German International at Hamburg (500)
    Canada Cup at Toronto (1000)
    Ohio Open at Cincinatti (1000)
    US Champs at New York (2000)
    Shanghai Master at Shanghai (1000)
    Swiss Indoors at Basel (500)
    Paris Masters at Paris (1000)
    World Tennis Champs (2000)
    Total Tournaments Entered: 19, all of them won.

Because the game, like in real life, counts only the last 18 tournaments over a 12 month period, we ignore the Qatar Open when we add up the points. So theoretically, I should have ended the year with 21,500 - 500, which would be 21,000 points. However, I ended with 20,500 again. Why is that? :confused:

EDIT: The "Spoiler" function did not do what I thought it was gonna do XD Apologies for taking up the space!

10. crapple2011

crapple2011 Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Can someone please tell me how to do a service return on grass that isn't an invitation for the CPU to kill me? On clay and hard court it's no problem, but on grass no matter what I do I just return some slow, high ball... I tried flat, top spin, standing closer, standing further away... but I will always return a slow, high ball.

During a rally it's no problem, it works fine, but the service return just doesn't seem possible.

11. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Dr. Mario, not the last 18 tournaments, but the best 18.
    I think it could be a 1000's cap of 8 tournaments, though, let's wait Elton's explanation.

Anyway in actual ATP rankings you could count 19 tournaments if you reach the Finals, see Wawrinka's rankings breakdown: http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/players/stan-wawrinka/w367/rankings-breakdown
    ATP 1000 tournaments work in a particular way: there are 8 mandatory tournaments (Monte Carlo isn't) for the best players and you have to count them in your best 18/19 if you get 0 points, too.
    I think this isn't in TCR.

12. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #732 Uprising Elton, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    Sorry, been busy working on iCloud and multiplayer :)

I've checked and there is indeed an error and it's actually only counting the best 17 results, not 18. Not sure how I didn't notice, (a > should have been a >=)
    In real life the compulsory counting of the 1000pt events only kicks in if you started the year in the top 32.. and I will be adding that to the game too.. (I'll see if I can make the World Champs count extra too..)

iCloud is now working very nicely, so just a bit of User Interface to fix. I've added your record vs the next opponent to the pre-match screen in career too. So just have the tournament history / stats screen to do and I'll be ready for the next update.

The grass return is due to the incoming speed of the ball, plus it being a bit lower on grass. and both factors have a detrimental effect on top spin in particular. Shot timing being near perfect can overcome it mostly, if you have good control stats. Otherwise using a flat hit will generally work better. A weaker server or most AI second serves, you should find you can still smack with top spin.

13. TheINC

TheINC New Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Still no ability to configure the placement of the d-pad, sigh...game was fun but barely playable with the d-pad so close to the left edge of the screen.

14. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    I'll see if I can get something in the next update to help..

15. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Ive selected best of 5 sets in options yet in career it is still set to the usual short format. Am I doing something wrong? I'd like the real game format or even fast4 format in career mode if that's possible to select.

16. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Those options just effect quick match mode (I know I should call that out on the screen). Career is always shorter matches, so you can play more of them.. I can easily put in an option to make career matches a longer format, if that's something people would like? I was just worried about people not having time to finish matches and losing interest, so sided with having shorter ones.

17. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I'd like it. :)
    I think I'd choose a 3 tie break formula.

18. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Yeah that would be good if you could interchange between fast format and realistic, at least that way you can choose to switch fast format for the easy first rounds and have more in depth matches further in the tournament. But yeah thats just my opinion.

19. crapple2011

crapple2011 Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Option for longer matches is fine for me but I wouldn't use it, so if this gets implemented please also leave the option to leave it like it is. The 6 game sets in the grand slam tournaments are tiresome enough for my taste because either you kill the CPU or the CPU kills you, there aren't many matches where it's really close.
    Yesterday I had one in Wimbledon vs. Mac where I lost a set but that was pretty much the only set I had lost in a long while, and when I had found the best strategy I killed him 6:0 in the final set, so from there on it would have been boring again to play any longer sets or more sets.

20. Hedron Engineer

Hedron Engineer Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I must have quite unique playing style. Everybody here going on and on about how difficult Mac is; I think he's a total pushover. Drew and Synex on the other hand..... Synex I sometimes win but Drew just returns whatever I throw at him. What's he doing to make my shots suck? Because I do seem to have a lot less power when playing him, probably just screws up my timing somehow.

Aaaaaaaaaasarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh ok this game is awesome because it's been a while since I have been this frustrated about sucking at a game. Usually I give up. This game makes me come back. Well done Elton!