Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. crapple2011

crapple2011 Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2014
    About that auto-swing and auto-running to the ball after pressing the button: either I am completely incompetent or it really is unrealistically hard to return those "moon balls" when the opponent completely screws up his shot and the ball is returned very very high (much higher than a top sin, almost like a lob) and then when the ball bounces off and you stand at the baseline the game makes it extremely hard to hit the ball.
    I imagine in real tennis these balls are rather easy to hit, and easy to hit very hard, in the game currently however it seems very hard to return such balls, much harder than normal balls, because it looks like you have to manully position the player very well so that your player can hit the ball.
    Had this a few times and it was very annoying, coz I thought "now I got you" and then in the end I didn't even hit the ball...

2. alwaysneedsleep

alwaysneedsleep Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Yep I have experienced that same thing, mostly against lower ranks. Almost lost a game because of it.

3. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    You may ask Lendl about Chang. :)
    It's really uncommon in actual pro tennis, though, but not in 90s (I remember a Cristiano Caratti's match at US Open).

4. Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario Member

Mar 7, 2016
    I have a strong grip on the tour so far. However, Mac almost took me out in the final at Miami. Did you buff his serve? His out-wide serve is ridiculously good now, and he faults less.

Gonna start the Monaco Masters once I get enough coins. Wish me luck!

5. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    The high ball has only really ever caused me difficulty hittng it on clay if I'm not close enough to where it bounces and it then bounces over my hit range. I might be able to make the hit range extend higher to compensate, or get it to hit the overhead in that situation.
    Usually it's such a slow ball that I'm able to volley it away anyway. the danger is letting it bounce.

6. Seiza616

Seiza616 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    In a previous post I saw someone ask about having access to headbands and I never saw a response stating whether they were available in in the game? Additionally, I wonder the same thing about the Afro hair style?

If more hair styles and accessories are not available it would be nice to see these things appear in an update sometime soon.

7. 41john

41john New Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Noticed a bug where sometimes when clicking save and exit in career mode, when you go back to career mode the tournament that I'm halfway though ends, even though I should still be in the tournament. Was really annoyed as it happened to French open and now club classic too.

8. Seiza616

Seiza616 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    #608 Seiza616, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    I don't know what everyone else's experience has been but the highest I have been ranked is 10th overal thus far and I have a five star player with completely maxed out stats. I consistently lose to players in the semifinals of most tournaments, even though my ratings are significantly higher at times. I am not sure what I need to do to improve.

Any suggestions in terms of strategy as I know I shouldn't be loosing to two/three star players on a semiregular basis? It just seems like the difficulty level has been ratcheted up significantly as I am in year three now.

9. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #609 Uprising Elton, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Head bands and more hair styles are coming. Just takes a little while to do the art!

Sorry about the mid tournament problem. I've not managed to reproduce here. Will keep looking.

On the difficulty, I'm continuing to tune it, and will be adding pro mode soon which means I can make the normal level a bit weaker. It is still possible to beat the top players, tactically I'd say you might need to volley a bit more if you consistently lose to them..
    And make sure you have full energy in the later rounds with an energy drink.

Also, try and time your swings a touch earlier when going for cross court winners. The later in the swing you make contact, the more angle you get. Sometimes that can make the difference when hitting a winner on a speedy opponent!

10. jayplay

jayplay Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 21, 2015
    Entrepreneur
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Any chance for an Apple TV version with MFi controller support? That'd be super awesome. :)

11. Retrax

Retrax Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Thank you so much for your great Development!

12. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    Is it just me or is the difficulty in this game created through unforced errors in many cases? Seems like my guy hits a much higher rate of unforced errors when playing a more difficult opponent or when I start to trample a lesser opponent.

13. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    No, there's nothing in there to increase the chance of your player making errors. It happens naturally if you are under more pressure to make shots, have less time to get you swing timing good, and are facing shots that come at you harder.
    The trick against a good player is to play better defence, and be quicker to spot your oppertunities.

14. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Ah ha! Amazing.. thank you both! I'll try this!! :)

15. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    #615 grits, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    My lobs continue to end at midcourt and simply get smashed. The lob has never been effective no matter what I try, even when I'm clearly in a good position at the baseline and the opponent is right up at the net. My timing is perfect.

I'm also noticing that the opponent gets stronger the longer a rally goes on. Is that programmed in? You'd would think it would be the opposite as they get tired out running so much. Can you wear out an opponent?

As an aside, how awesome would it be if the characters had a sliding animation when you swing if you're running at full speed to the side? I don't expect you to do that but it would be so cool ;)

Also, a nice little unnecessary detail would be switching the side of the referee when you change ends. I have it set up so that I always stay on the bottom of the screen, which I feel is best. But when you switch sides the ref is still on the right (now wrong) side.

16. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    I put the "always at the bottom" option in quite quickly as people asked for it..

I'd need to build the other end of the arenas to properly move the camera. Its on the todo list!

Re : lobs.
    Lobs have been tuned a bit in the forthcoming update.

17. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Hi Uprising Elton, has the ground strokes been adjusted when AI are at the net? I've noticed that my ground strokes sit up for an easy AI put away instead of the usual crosscourt winner or low ground stroke hit etc. It's very difficult to win a point when they come to the net now. I'm completely maxed in all stats and have hit perfect shots but they still are slow paced sitters, is there something I may be missing here?

18. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    If anything shots are lower when the opponent is at the net. (There's a 'pressure' factor that makes your player try and force a winner when AI is at net). It shouldn't make your shot sit up. (This only effects top spin actually)
    Its probably just the fact that the ball is low and that was very hard to hit well on the last update.

Next update is in with apple and shoult be out any day now, and this is re-tuned so you shouln't experience this.

19. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Game is good but a bit too easy

20. alwaysneedsleep

Feb 21, 2016
    Pro mode should fix that BlueTrin :)