Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Well, I don't know with touch controls, but with my Gamevice tapping is the only way to do a lob shot in match.

2. crapple2011

crapple2011 Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2014
    I'm used to have the timing on the shot correctly so it's almost impossible to pull off just a short tap but what I can say is that it's pretty much impossible to pull off the lob when pressing the triangle (Y) button on the PS3 controller, it does not trigger the lob in about 95% of the cases when I am sure I have pressed triangle (Y).
    So maybe the 5% it worked were those when I was so late that I could just tap the triangle.

3. Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario Member

Mar 7, 2016
    Could you please improve the AI on grass? The grass season is extremely easy; I completed what would be called Wimbledon on the ATP tour without my serve being broken once.

Since on grass, the ball does not bounce as high, topspin is ineffective. If you recklessly try to do topspin shots, it results in lobs that are super easy to punish. Almost all of the AI players do this, making it super easy to coast through the grass season with serve-and-volley. I'd suggest making them do more flat shots to fit the season. Otherwise, grass is a cakewalk.

Sidenote: Is it possible to get a headband? I've been trying to get my character to look like Roger Federer, but it just doesn't work without the headband.

4. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Yep, will look at the issue on grass. Hoping to get an update in tonight now.

5. Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario Member

Mar 7, 2016
    #585 Dr. Mario, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    I just experienced a slight error regarding the World Championships during the final week.

I had finally broken into the Top Eight in my second in-game year (ended the first year no. 9; heart crushed), ending as the World Number One. When it was time to play for the World Championships, I only had ten coins (I'm a poor dependent teen whose parents won't let him purchase VIP). So I decided to play Quick Match in order to level up and gain some extra coins (I couldn't watch an ad because the "Free Coins" button was removed, presumably because I use it a lot). Upon completion, I chose the option Career Mode only to discover the season already ended. The moment I pressed the "Career" button on the homepage, I was taken straight to the season-ending page that displayed the ranks. After exiting that screen, I was taken to the Career Hub which displayed the tournaments for "Year 3 : Week 1."

I demand 10000000 coins in psychological damages. I have been traumatized, my dreams, shattered.

On a serious note though, this should be swiftly resolved.

And one off-topic question: is it possible to end the year with more than 20,000 points? I noticed the top eight users who scored the highest annual ranking points all are 20,000. However, I have my Year 3 schedule planned and I should end with 23,000, assuming I win every tournament I play in. Am I wasting my time by adding on that extra 3000 worth of points?

I understand you have a great deal of ambitious updates in mind, so take your time. The game is already brilliant; you're striving for near-perfection. :)

6. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Thanks for reporting that final week bug.. I'll get that sorted right away, very sorry it ruined your chance at the world champs :(

7. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Version 1.5 submitted.
    Mostly a tuning update to try and recapture some of the players who didn't get on with the last update.
    It includes:-

Shot Tuning
    Difficulty Curve changes
    Hide AI serve marker option
    Scouted players stored in Career
    AI mis-hits
    AI improvements
    Bug Fixes

Also this version will start to record your wins and losses vs the Career Roster, ahead of the Trophy Room.

Next update will be iCloud + Trophy room, I promise!

8. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Damn! Awesome! Still my fave!

9. alwaysneedsleep

alwaysneedsleep Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Awesome can't wait to download the latest update!

10. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I'm so glad it's not just me... I can't pull off any other shots with my MFi controller..

Are you saying you basically have to ignore the timing bar altogether and just tap the button?

11. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I'm not sure this works when using MFi controllers?

12. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I said it days ago... But ONLY with lob shots (and with volleys, but this is intended).

13. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    It isn't intended to work like that on lobs. You are supposed to attept a good timing bar..

I think the problem here is the way the game auto swings if you are still holding a button and the ball comes very close. If this assist happens (which stops as many misses while learning the timing) then you get a flat hit.

It is tricky to hold a long time when trying to return a volley with a lob, and trying it can lead to the auto swing kicking in before you swipe up.

The update on the way has moved the autoswing to be as late as I can get it. This gives a tiny bit more time to complete the swipe for lobs. It helped me get more lobs in testing.

14. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Yep.
    Generally I'm trying lob shots as a ultra-defensive shot, so I'm late nine out of ten.
    Tapping works but my lob shots aren't perfect, obviously.

15. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    New update shoudl help. I'm sure you'll let me know :)

You should find the best Ai players a little bit tougher now too. But the lower ranked players should stay easier.

16. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    :)

Could that auto-swing cause ac166's problem?
    If he has a wrong timing he couldn't shot like he wants...

17. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Yep, pretty sure it's just holding the button too long. needs to start pressing the button a little bit earlier.

18. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Also, this is the last update where there is any risk of losing VIP / colours etc. while updating.. just remind you to make sure the app is fully closed before updating to minimise this risk. After this update is installed, it can't ever happen again though.

19. Dr. Mario

Dr. Mario Member

Mar 7, 2016
    When do you think we'll see dangerous rising stars coming to dethrone us after we capture the top seed spot? I'd love to see a beefed-up version of Kumio emerge as our main rival. As to me he has the most interesting shot selection/diversity. Heck, he taught me to follow up with volleys after a slice; I thought slice shots were useless as offensive shots before playing him!

20. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #600 Uprising Elton, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    The biggest changes like that are planned to come nearer summer, as I'm going all out to try and get an app store feature for wimbledon time. I might slip something in before then, though.. I'll be telling all here first as soon as there is a solid plan anyway. You might find it a bit harder to get to / stay number one in the new update anyway.. I just lost a semi final to Drew, with a maxed out player, and that's not happened to me for a while!