Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    Great to know, thanks!

2. revolverblue85

revolverblue85 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
  3. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Wow this is amazing. I played this on my Amiga 500 and it feels just like old times! Could anyone explain how the daily challenges work? Can I play them with each new career player I make?

Any word on if this will work with mfi in the future? The controls are spectacular already but my first tourney was a white knuckle event and I wound up pressing WAY too hard on the glass. I think I would probably play better with a controller but that could just be me.

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I maxed out my Movement stats first. Then maxed out my Serve stats, now I'm kind of evenly upgrading my Forehand, Backhand and Volley stats.

Not sure if that's a winning strategy or not, but it's what I did and I'm doing alright so far :)

5. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #45 Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    There is already controller support in.. Not announced as I need to put versions of the tutorial pop-ups in for it before I put it on the appstore text. (A flat hit, X top spin, B slice, Y lob, Y holding down on pad, drop shot)

Daily challenge, if you do the current day's challenge, you get rewards including 15 coins and 2 skill star points to add to your career player in the skills screen. (You only have 1 career player) You can do expired challenges for the current and previous month for fun and practice (will be adding achievements for them too) but you only get rewards for doing the current one on the day its new.

6. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Next update should finalise MFI support, and add a screen where you can tune the on screen controls for size and deadzone..
    Anyone keen for local 2 player via MFi controllers?

7. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Very good game you've got here. Only played the intro and that was enough for me to buy the $.99 VIP or whatever it's called. Well done sir. Well done indeed.

8. GUILTIE

GUILTIE Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Just getting started with the game! Looks great so far. Is it intended that there's no timing bar when using a controller?

9. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    That's one of the reasons the controller support isn't officially on the feature list yet :)
    Fix on the way..

10. GUILTIE

GUILTIE Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Ah, makes sense. Thanks supporting controllers; I will soon be a "VIP!"

11. Mikiesque

Mikiesque Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2013
    If there is anyone (by some strange reason) having any doubts about this game - just do yourself a favour and GET IT!!!!

Got nothing to lose whatsoever!!!

Best tennis game on any system by faaaaaar!!!!

12. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I won Chennai and Auckland, then I spent a wildcard to play Melbourne and now I am at 4th round (6-1 against Julius in 3th round)!
    I'll try to win my first Slam, but it won't be easy against #2 Kamui...

13. Spartyfan6262

Spartyfan6262 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Wow. This is terrific. It beats the console tennis games I've played.

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great game. Bought the VIP and tried to buy the next superpack (forget what it's called) and it told me that I should start Career Mode before purchasing, since it mostly affects that. Now there's a sign of developer integrity: actually telling you to hold off buying IAP until it's necessary. Can't wait to play this a ton. Keep up the great work!

15. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Could we all whisper the words "TA main page feature" until it happens? :D

16. ramon31

ramon31 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Hortacultrist
    Australia
    It's my favourite tennis game Top Ranking Tennis from the GameBoy remade for iPhone.

Best ever!

17. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

This is a seriously awesome game! Great job, bought to support!

18. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    I'm extremely grateful for all the kind words about the game! Brilliant to see so many have taken to it already, and after I was so worried it was too hardcore :)

19. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Gameplay wise it reminds me of the old NES tennis, which I love and played so much. Nothing seemed to replicate that, until now. Plus you add RPG elements as leveling up, total awesomeness! Totally addicted!

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    My advice for this game is to play through a tutorial or two, then go into a quick match and practice what you've learned. Don't be scared to play and replay the tutorial sections over and over. I've been playing this game for like a week and I still go back to them frequently to really hone in my skills and make sure I understand everything. Then go into Training in your career and do the little training mini-games. Each time you beat one it gets replaced with a harder one. Constantly be playing these in between doing career stuff.

Basically what I'm getting at is put the time in to really understand the underlying mechanics in this game, as it makes all the difference in the world. My first few sessions were awkward at best, but I've watched my skill slowly ramp up the more I play and practice. It's damn near like learning a real sport! But advanced techniques are vital in the later stages of the game, so take it slow and make sure you build up on all the foundations that the tutorials and training offer you as it will definitely pay off later AND make for an immensely more enjoyable experience.

As I told metalcasket earlier, this is my favorite game of 2016, and yes that includes my beloved Crashlands. So I don't think you'll have anything to worry about there haha :)