Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Yeah, there could be a bigger risk reward thing. If you don't hit a top spin perfectly it is more likely to go out of bounds or in the net.

2. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    This is something that will be stronger playing in pro mode in future. If I did it in general the less skilled would just hate it even more than they do now! :)

3. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Damn casuals, always ruining for everyone. :p

A hardcore/pro mode would be sweet!

4. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Im afraid the update has spoiled this for me. It's just too damn hard now. Where's the fun it it?

5. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    #545 grits, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Hey, I'm really loving the game! Unfortunately my fat thumb keeps missing the blue and red buttons! I've been playing for a while but cannot get used to it. It would really be great if you extended the Hitbox for the buttons vertically. I see no reason not to do that. I'm always tapping the screen just above the buttons. Or maybe allow the user to change the interface.

Another thing I'm confused about is why my shots sometimes hit the net or go out. I can't seem to understand what makes it do that. Maybe there should be an Advanced tutorial on the sweet spot.

The last, and very infuriating item of contention, is the lob. Why in the hell does my lob land in the middle or front of the court when it obviously needs to go to the back court? Every time I love it gets smashed even if they are standing right at the net. If you could answer this that would be amazing. Thanks and good job on a great game.

PS
    It also seems way too easy to simply serve off to the side and then run up and half volley cross court. Pretty much wins every time

6. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    I've been planning to offer a control customise screen where you can move and resize the buttons.

There is always a random element to shot accuracy based on your stats. You can still hit a shot out even if you time it perfectly, but it's a slim chance that gets bigger the worse your stats are and the worse you time the shot.

If anything I find lobs work too well.. If you get the timing bar, and the ball positioning, pretty good they work a good % of the time I find.

The wide serve is too powerful still. I'll be giving the AI more tools to combat that in an upcoming update.

7. mcrawford620

mcrawford620 Member

Feb 16, 2014
    I don't know if it's the new update, but it certainly seems like the game just got much harder. I agree with the previous poster that 2-star players are crushing me off the court, when they didn't use to do that. Their shots just got much more powerful. This is true ven if I have full energy, I just cannot buy a win in my last few days. Quite frustrating.

8. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #548 Uprising Elton, Mar 3, 2016
    There were only 2 changes last update.

Being very close to the bounce and hitting is no longer effective.

If the opponent is 2 or more stars better than you, the reduction in their stats to make it easier (early in the game and after losses) is backed off a bit, as you shouldn't really be getting an easy time against significantly better (stats wise) opponents and cruising to tournament wins until the difficulty catches up.

Other than that, there wasn't anything changed to increase the difficulty. Maybe you've just won more games so the difficulty has got closer to the natural stat levels for the players. That's nothing to do with the update, just a correlation.. (Someone also said in an appstore review the new version has more ads.. It doesn't they just had the game longer and the video ads started coming in at the same time!)

Going to have selectable difficulty soon anyway, so players can knock it down a level if they find it too hard, or raise it to pro level if they find it too easy..

Actually.. 1 other thing changed. I fixed a bug that meant the better playes tended to return serve to the middle of the court. I fixed that, but it shouln't effect lower level players.

9. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #549 Uprising Elton, Mar 3, 2016
    To test the difficulty last night, I played with Pugh, in single match, who is a lot worse than the career player you start with. I took Jake (ratings all 7s) to a tie break. This is after 100+ wins so the game wasn't helping me out by bringing him down.
    Is anyone who's struggling able to record the odd match and you tube it so I can see what they're experiencing?

Also, a 2* player can still have 1 powerful stroke! If he's hitting winners (and you didn't scout him first) you might need to prefer to hit to his weaker side.

10. crapple2011

crapple2011 Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2014
    I still don't understand this aspect of the game. Ok you have the energy bar and the energy dring but what are the strings and shoes doing? Supposed to make you run faster?

Can't you do some kind of screen showing the players actual current performance (stars) given his current energy and state of his strings and state of his shoes? Maybe include the hypothetical stars you would end up with if buying shoes/strings/energy drink.

Also I hope this doesn't turn out to be a F2P game forcing you to buy this stuff to be able to win if you play reasonably well if you have VIP in the long run. It's ok for the non VIPs but VIPs shouldn't be forced to buy this if playing reasonably well and doing the daily challenges. The price for the VIP should be significantly higher tho and it's ok to force people to buy coins who are cheap and won't buy the VIP also.

And I also agree with the comment from someone else that once a player has been scouted you should see the stats permanently, currently imho this is a rather cheap shot to force people to spend coins (I don't scout at all due to that fact).

11. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    #551 grits, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    Ok great! Thanks for the response. Could you explain what the best timing is for a shot? For example a forehand winner and a deep lob. I'm wondering too if hitting late is desirable for an inside out forehand cross etc.

Also, what is the difference between control and accuracy?

12. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Is iCloud device syncing on the update list?

13. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Never bought strings and shoes, never lost with a 2.5 stars.
    If you are VIP you should win strings and shoes without problems...
    Watching a video before a match you could buy strings AND shoes, though.

Well, I could know which kind of player is in two-three rallies...
    You shouldn't scout because it's useless. :)

If this game is too hard for you (you people, not you crapple2011), be patient and wait for that amateur/normal/pro option.

14. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #554 Uprising Elton, Mar 4, 2016
    Sttrings and shoes boost speed snd power just for the next game. The idea if the opponent is better than you you have the choice to use them to help. The boost is at least a whole star's worth. (I'd have to look uo the exact amount) but they work well with scouting.
    But these are never required.. Your progression and your actual skill at the game are way more important in winning.

Energy reduces your stats, but its not a linear scale, it removes points from an ability for every so many units of energy you have lost.

I'll see about showing your current stats with energy and boosts applied in the pre match screen. Energy effect is trickier as theres a random element to which stats it hits.

I'll be making scouting persistent in future, and will be expanding on the strategies and scouting info over time, where it'll be even more usefull. I still use it myself, especially if the opponent is rated higher than me.

iCloud is next uodate..

The best timing is a perfect green timing bar, the ball with as little vertical speed as possible, the ball enough to the left or right of you to hit the meat of the racket.
    The timing of the ball beig hit through the swing effects the angle. early or late and you get a shorter, more angled shot. (In the direction that is logical from the swing : at the bottom, aright hander hitting back hand, late in the swing gets more angle to the right. Too early angles more to the left)
    the ball being hit in the middle of the swing is best for lobs.

Another shot factor is how long you've been inna good position before you hit the ball. "Readiness".. So if you are being dragged around the court you've less chance of hitting yiur best shot back. If you've anticipated well or are controlling the rally, you'll find your shots end up with more power.

Control stat links everything together.
    It dictates how you can handle the incoming shot in terms of power and spin. So with no control, if you play someone who hits harder than you can handle, you would struggle to use your own pwer back.
    It also influences how consistently you can get your best power too. Its a very important stat!

15. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    #555 grits, Mar 4, 2016
    Very interesting! Cool that you put in so much realism in an old school game.

I think if you had a detailed tutorial for this, it would help some people enjoy it more. Loving the game. Five stars once the U.I. can be adjusted, wide serves less o.p. (and down the line serves better).

If there were online multiplayer...wow

16. alwaysneedsleep

alwaysneedsleep Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Is there any chance that you can reduce the error rate when slicing, it seems to occur more than a normal flat or top spin. I like to use it offensively but a lot of the time they go wide even when hit perfectly. Thanks you do great work.

17. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Thanks, will look at it.

And yep, multiplayer (well, 2 player online) is planned.. beginning work on that any day now.

18. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Amazing. Any chance you will implement side spin? Not sure if that's already accounted for or not. For instance if you slide up and diagonally to the right in would spin in that direction. Also when aiming the shot with the left stick, holding forward or backward doesn't seem to have an effect. That could add another layer to shot placement. That might be too much though LOL.

19. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Reluctant to complicate the game further by doing that, and people hitting things by accident would be a risk. There is already a side spin component to kick serve and slices, but it's automatic.

I also would end up spending the rest of my life coding a tutorial that teaches everything :) I'd rather let people work stuff out (beyond the basics) if possible. I'm old school like that :D

20. grits

grits Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    By the way, I just destroyed Mac by using wide serve and then volley cross on my turn and on his serve by stepping into his serve and hitting it down the line right off the bounce every time.

PS
    I feel you on the tutorial haha