Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Personally I feel it's spot on since the update. I'm finding it easier but not too easy, far more satisfying, and overal a big improvement on what was already a superb game.

Thanks for all your hard work Elton.

2. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Elton, I know there will be a Pro mode, but it would be nice being able to speed up that 120 wins counter when I reset my career. In this way I could immediately play against IA at his best. :)

Well, you could watch some matches on YouTube... I'm playing TCR in a "realistic" way and my knowledge of tennis helps me so much. :)

It's easy to recommend good games... And I'm happy TCR is getting what it deserves. :)

3. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Just spotted a bug in the return of service AI that was allowing a certain "technique" to be almost impossible for the AI to cope with :)

I will only fix it fully in "Pro mode", and tune it down otherwise.. so, for people who are thrashing the AI currently, expect a challenge next week!!

4. atalkinghamsandwich

atalkinghamsandwich Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2015
    This game just keeps on giving, man. The AI is so nuanced that it's impossible to find a pattern to exploit. I'm just really impressed. Great job.

5. atalkinghamsandwich

atalkinghamsandwich Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2015
    This game just keeps on giving, man. The AI is so nuanced that it's impossible to find a pattern to exploit. I'm just really impressed. Great job dudes.

I love the little detail that when you hit the swing button after the play, you either gloat or slam your racket, depending on whether you scored or not.

6. KoOne23

KoOne23 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Finally overtook Mac as the 1st in ranking with 13700 points! Got it in Y2W23, 4.5 stars. Haven't lost a match in a long while, don't really have a goal now besides trying to win all the major tournaments. Hope to perhaps have the option to play as doubles/represent your country in a career tournament in future updates! That would add a bit to the replayability! Fantastic game nonetheless, really impressed! :)

7. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    exactly what i wxpect as well, once you got to rank1 theres not much to do, but that doesnt mean this isnt a great game, maybe adding some ideas above or charity matches would add its replayability.

8. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #408 Uprising Elton, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    There will be a fresh challenge soon..

The trophy room will show which titles you've not won, so you can try and win them all. Doing that while still staying number 1 will add a bit of fun.

Some dangerous new players will arrive on the tour to rival you for the top spot. And a new challenge mode so you can make sure you've played and beaten everyone.

But do take a break from the game (I wont be upset!), then come back when I've added the new stuff, or keep playing in readiness for online play!

9. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    MFi

I'm loving this game a lot.. but struggling a little with the mfi controls, pressing different buttons doesn't seem to actually do different shots. I've been trying to do the named shot daily challenge and training modes and can never ever do the shot named no matter which button I press.. is there a special trick to it?

Also I've noticed that during serving you have to hold down the button pretty hard on the controller or the game registers that you've taken your finger off too early and the reticule stops moving (usually making me serve straight into the net).

The game is amazing though!

10. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Hmm, not sure why you're not getting the differnt shots. what controller do you have? I'll check to see if there's any tollerance or deadzone applied to the buttons. I think I just use the "is pressed" values form the apple interface though.

11. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    My Gamevice works flawlessly.
    Lob shots, punch volleys and drop volleys could be a bit tricky, especially the first ones, but I think it's not because of MFi.
    Buttons are ok, with SNK's games I have to push them hard.

12. Mikiesque

Mikiesque Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2013
    That sounds amazing #

13. Kane2505

Kane2505 Active Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Now my favourite iOS game of all time.
    But definitely much easier since the update.

Some things I have learned.

- Practice timing shots right. This is key. On serves you may have to start the shot as they are about to hit the ball.

- Learn topspin ground strokes. Slice can mix it up and is useful if you are getting schooled from the baseline, but gets much less play for me.

- Playing wide shots is good for building angles, but so is moving forward to play the ball. You have to balance the risk of being passed with the benefit of being further forward.

- Don't be afraid to pin a player into a single corner and then go cross court if they try to move in or if you move them far enough out wide.

- Most serve and volley players can't cope with cross-court returns. Mac is particularly easy to beat once you max your skills. Obviously lob when they are at the net.

- Step forward for the second serve and go down the line.

- Wide serves are most useful, but don't forget the middle if they make room for an ace.

14. crapple2011

crapple2011 Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2014
    #414 crapple2011, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Hi just wanted to say the game really rocks!

One question: how to do a drop shot with a MFI controller?

Using a PS3 controller here (JB ControllersForAll) and seem to have to following layout:
    X - normal shot
    circle - slice
    square - top spin
    triangle - lob

Forgot to say something to the devs: I hope you earn a shitload of money with this game, it's great and I thank you for the VIP IAP. I think premium in app purchases are really ok (being forced to buy virtual currency is not) and I think you should consider raising the price of the VIP package, being able to play the game in premium way is worth at leats 5 times more than the 99 cent you are asking.

15. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Best tennis game I've ever played.
    Coo l to have a career mode with training and daily challenges.
    Leveling up and stats are the best thing about it for me.
    U gave us something other than tournaments and for that this community thanks u.
    It's challenging but would have liked to have seen a premium so everyone could have supported this great game and it's updates .
    I certainly will buy an iAp every update that comes out.
    Would be cool to have more modes and items later on. So much content as it is .

16. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    It should be triangle + down.
    Cross is power serve and standard volley, too.
    Circle is slow serve and drop volley.
    Square is kick serve and punch volley.
    Triangle is slow kick serve.

17. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I don't know if it's a placebo, but I make better lob shots with button + up.

18. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Brilliant to hear from more people enjoying it :)

It's done pretty well so far, (not enough to live on or anything :D ) but dropping off as expected as its no longer in best new games.

I will probably try putting VIP up 1 price level soon to see how it goes. A lot of people tell me I'm under-valuing it a bit..

Mac's Serve and Volley is a bit weak at the moment.. But I know why, so enjoy him being beatable while it lasts.. :D

19. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Was thinking about adding a junior tour you must do well in before you're allowed on the main one and can go for grandslams etc, to add more length to the game.
    Thoughts?

20. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    It's all about difficulty and lenght: will be this Junior Tour easier and/or shorter?
    But it should be optional, in my opinion, especially if easier.