Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    About the shitty reviews, I rlly wish I cld reply to them on the AppStore. A true slew of shameless losers who as you said probably played for 2 min. Pathetique
    Ps, please keep up the great work mate, we at TA greatly appreciate it anyhow.

2. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Agreed, it's simply not tuned for controllers.

3. Zillions

Zillions New Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Hate to keep pointing out problems but I love this game so much I want it to be perfect. The level 10 serving training says 50 seconds but when it starts only gives you 40. Not sure which is wrong but 50 would definitely be better :). Also when I purchased the vip I lost some colors and outfits I had unlocked. Not a huge deal but just wanted to point it out.

4. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Will look into.. Don't quite know how that could have happened.. TBH..

5. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    I agree this game does not benefit from the MFI controls. Especially because it seems you're unable to smash or lob using MFI button controls. However, the touchscreen directional controls are pretty awful. I started using touch controls for my swing and my MFI controls for movement. But this also is awkward. Hopefully the developer is doing something about this. The MFI controller shoulder buttons are completely unused at this point. Maybe there is something that they could do with those buttons to add the smash and lob.

6. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Uhm... Actually I said this game benefits from MFi controls *too much*. :D
    No problem with smashes and lobs here, I think you are missing something.
    Every button is ok for smashes, Y + Up is ok for lobs.

7. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #227 Uprising Elton, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    You can definitely Smash.. Determing a smash or a stroke is done way after the inputs and is based on position and ball height only. Wasn't sure if all controllers had shoulder buttons.. Will use those to make the the lob and drop shot not share a button (Y should lob, Y+dpad down as you hit is currently drop shot)

Worth noting that the direction control is 8way- not analogue. (Hey, its an old school game) and if the deadzone is too big, i've already mentioned a control config screen is on the way so players can tune it to their liking.

8. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    I beat him in a 2-game set today! Won 4-2. Basically he owned me every time i served, but because he kept rushing the net on his serves, i got a lot of return aces. Of course, I proceeded to get destroyed by Kamul in the next game :((

9. GodlyAlpaca

GodlyAlpaca New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Nice! Thanks for the tip UE. Now, how do you do a slice shot? lol

10. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Would really like the option to play always on the bottom half of the screen. I really dislike it when I'm at the top.

11. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    40 seconds is very tough, but possible.
    50 seconds would be too easy, in my opinion.

12. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Okay, thanks. I will try this tonight. Don't get me wrong, I adore this game, but I am definitely having trouble with touch screen directional controls. As I put in my apple review, this is by far the best mobile tennis game I've ever played.

13. SkyHi

SkyHi Member

Jul 17, 2012
    #233 SkyHi, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Training tips

Is anyone else having huge trouble with the training games? Level 8 stroke training seems almost impossible to me, each stroke gains a maximum of 30 points and you are given 10 balls to get 330 points, though the maximum I can reach is 300, so I can't progress. Level 9 volley training seems to have the same issue. The mobility training is also excruciatingly hard, I am up to level 6 but I can't get near the score of 30 needed, I really doubt that someone could finish this level plus another 4, harder challenges to be able to finish this mini game. I have at least finished all 10 serving levels. I know someone else was questioning the 40 seconds given in the last serving level, this occurred for me too but it is still possible to achieve. My tip for anyone trying to progress is to keep hitting the balls even after the time says 'training stopped' since the score will still be added for the last ball, even if it doesn't appear to change the points shown, it will actually count towards your total.

Whilst I'm writing this I may as well add my thoughts, I think this game is truly excellent and well worth the price, though I must say that before I made any IAPs I found the constant ads quite annoying, so I wonder if you could offer a way for people who don't have IAPs set up to 'earn' their VIP by completing certain offers etc. I don't know if this system would actually work but it's just a thought. As far as ideas for future updates go, I'd like to be able to see my trophy collection and my past years results to see which events I missed out on. I'd also like to see an optional Davis Cup type tournament and possibly an Olympic tournament every 4 seasons. I'd like to see more achievements, especially one for winning a calendar grand slam or winning all 1000 points tournaments, that'd be a real challenge. I'm also a huge fan of upgradeable gear, though I don't know if that would be easy to implement. I'd like to see a bigger bonus for a perfect hit, which would make things more difficult. Also, I find the slice shot to be rather useless since it just gives the opponent more time to get to the ball and find the line.

14. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    I have mentioned earleir on the thread that movement training does get effectively impossible well before level 10. It was intentional as I wanted room to do a couple of different types of game and didn't quite have time to finish them. I didn't think people would really hammer them quite as much, so that was my mistake..
    There's one other known bug in a stroke level having the wrong score target shown, which will be fixed next update, but that level is still possible.
    And the 40/50 second one was just a typo and is still possible too.

15. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Also, I wont be on the thread tomorrow, as its a coding day to finish this lovely update I'm doing.. So bear with me if I don't answer something tomorrow.

16. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    #236 Fangbone, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Damn Elton, I respect the hell out of you!! You're on this thread like a bum on a ham sandwich answering any and all questions/complaints. You deserve a day off of thread stalking. Can't wait to see what you've got in store for us in the future.

17. GUILTIE

GUILTIE Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    No complaints here - looking forward to the first update! And I don't know what these people are talking about, MFi is the way to go with this game. Yes, the dynamic button swipes are great on the touch screen but it still doesn't beat physical buttons + joystick. You can definitely do all of the strokes and smashes, too.

Thanks again for the great game. I hope there is a financial reward in it for you!

18. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Why don't you take two days? One to finish the coding and one to rest ^^ we will all patiently wait for your return.

19. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    What I don't understand is why Apple does not have it set up so the developer can reply in the open to reviews. It's a bunch of crap. Sometimes people say the stupidest crap. Sometimes they don't even make sense. But it's not right that the dev doesn't have any ability to respond.

Billy

20. SkyHi

SkyHi Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I was able to complete level 8 stroke training although I only got 230 points, well below the 330 points required, so that may be a bug. As for future updates, I read that having players age with new players being brought in was being considered, which sounds like a great idea, in fact it is a system used in pro evolution soccer games. I'd like to extend that idea by asking if you could consider adding a legends mode, where he you can unlock certain legends once you have surpassed their grand slam career totals.