Universal Tennis Champs Returns (by Uprising Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Uprising Elton, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Dymanic difficulty coming next update should mean this isn't needed.. But might also allow a pre-match difficulty setting which modifies the XP rewards. (Harder == More XP)

2. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    elton, can we choose sticking to one side to play in the next update ?

3. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Not done it yet, but maybe.. :D

4. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

I couldn't ignore all the talk about this game :)

Blimey it really is amazing.

One of those very rare games with some magical secret sauce sprinkled all over the code.

Undefinable really, but it feels totally alive and 'analogue' (for want of a much better word to describe it)...

Little touches like you can still return a Fault serve (so it's like the world is simulated, not just set-piece routines) and you can still hit the ball after second and third bounce (when point is already over) gives the game a real tactile and vibrant quality. Like you as the player are "containing the beast".

The structure of the game (with tourneys and training etc) is really fun too. Whole package adds up to even more than the already great 'parts'.

Superb job, dev!! You did this entirely alone!??

5. Baracus

I have a small suggestion (unless I am missing something)... would you be able to add a small screen or popup that has the various controls diagram (I mean how to get a Flat, Punch etc from the red and blue buttons) accessible from somewhere just as a reminder. I seen it once in the training, but we can't get it back again?

Just that info as a static little popup (from a [?] button at top corner of screen in menus would be epic).

6. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Pause. Options. Turn "Help Popup" On. Start of next point it will appear..:)

7. woodbury

woodbury New Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Game of the year so far and best Tennis game ever made on mobile! This game brought me back all my childhood memories when I was playing tennis games on Amiga. If you like tennis then get it and give it 5 stars!

8. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I won against Mac! :D
    It was a tie-break tournament, though. :)

9. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    #209 heringer, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Having trouble with some trainings.

Movement level 5 feels almost impossible to be honest.

And I don't really understand how strokes level 8 scoring works. I'm getting every shot right but don't get anywhere near 330 points.

Also, would it be possible to add top spin in other directions? Just slide left or right. As it is it doesn't seem too different from a flat shot.

Also, what is the usefulness of the slice shot? In the real world it is mostly used to turn the opponent off by since it will require him to change the way the have to hit the ball. It doesn't seem to affect AI though.

10. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    #210 Uprising Elton, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    I wasn't going to give these kinds of tips out, as I think the player should really work out stuff like this.. (So skip if you don't want playing advice regarding the slice shot!)

Slice shot is an absolutely essential shot the way I play. If you are pushed wide, (or pushed deep) it gives you more time to recover position.

It's also the best approach shot for you to get to the net.

If your opponent is coming from 1 side, try a slice to the middle (obviously don't slice it straight at him if he's already central, he'll have too long to just tee off on the ball) and then See if he favours 1 side of the court in anticipation. Then go the other way with your best shot!

The low bounce of a slice also means the opponent can't get peak power on the next shot, unless he's been there waiting for it, or has great control stats.

11. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Thanks for the tips. I understand that slice is used for defense since it slows down the game and gives you time for recovery, I just wasn't sure if it was useful for more than that, but your last sentence answered that. :D

Any tips for the trainings I mentioned? Also, what about the top spin? :)

12. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Thanks! Some lovely words in there :)

Yep, everything :) and I don't use an off the shelf engine either.. (As were Tappy Lap and SSC'14 apart from the player sprites, too)

13. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    With MFi controls I feel a bit like I was cheating... :(
    So I reset my career and now I'm playing with touch controls only: harder but even more beautiful! :eek:
    So, MFi users, listen to me: play this game with touch controls, it's way better!

14. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Played a bit with my ps4 controller, it's good but I prefer the touch also.

15. mattohara

mattohara Member

May 9, 2015
    I wonder if the true measure of a game's quality is the divisiveness of the App Store reviews. I downloaded immediately after reading the touch arcade review (love you guys, you are the best, will be Patreoning my love soon), and today I checked out the reviews after my own (Superdeluxo).

I imagine that a large portion of the populace (Populous! Best ever!) out there is downloading anything marked free. If you can't immediately win by tapping on the slots handle or matching 3 pieces of candy it is obviously a problem with the controls. Luckily the vast majority of those people do not take the time to review, and there is a voluble contingent of quality persons on TA and they care enough about games and gaming to help bring about change (insert Apple ad from 80s here, get crowd riled up).

Elton I'm sure those shite reviews must be frustrating. But I am telling everyone I know about this game, I wrote a review, and I am about to hit up all those IAPs. So don't let any of that get you down. You done did it right and keep on keepin on. You're doing a great job.

16. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Is there a secret pissed off mode where if we lose we can rush the other player and beat him to death with our racket ? With blood and all?

It would help with the immersion factor.

Billy

17. Baracus

In the UK, all the reviews are 5 stars on the App Store so I think it says more about the US populace than anything else :p

18. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    The "problem" of controller is the same problem every classic tennis game had: one button > one kind of shot.
    But top spin/kick serve/punch volley/etc. etc. are harder shots than flat ones and this peculiarity is well reproduced in Tennis Champs Returns (with touch controls).

Elton, how about 3D Touch support? It could be very interesting...

19. Baracus

Ah yes, thanks! Now to learn it off by heart!

20. Uprising Elton

Oct 6, 2009
    Considering what to do with that. Supporting it may help get another feature when I do an update, but then not everyone will have it so I can't make it too integral to the controls.. Tough one..

And the shit reviews don't bother me much when they're clearly due to not having enough patience or persistence. It's their loss :)

If it was the majority that hated it I'd seriously question what's happened to gamers and maybe never make another game again as there would be no audience for what I like making anymore! (and the time it takes is just too much if its just for me to play! I'd be in less trouble with the wife for spending evenings and nights coding :D )